Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post. I have been searching but have not found the info I need and was hoping someone could help.

I am trying to decide which to buy, a 1025R TLB or the BX25D. I like the 1025R however none of the dealers around me have one with a 260 on it so I could try it out. I have tested the BX25D and the backhoe is very smooth. The seat and controls are also in a comfortable position for me (6'2" 235). Can anyone tell me how the 260 compares to the BX25D in these areas.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I edited the title of your thread to attract more members who'll be able to answer your questions better. I personally haven't operated a 260 myself, but a lot of owners say some of the controls are very touchy. But with practice, you can become pretty smooth with them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
First off I'd really like to steer you towards the Deere - as I love my 1025 TLB. I find my backhoe projects short lived. A few stumps here and there and a few holes and trench's. With that being said the seat control is easy to deal with being 6-2 nothing is going to be real easy to get into. My controls on my 260 seem JERKY. I have a hard time really making it smooth. I have found that if I run the throttle down to 1/2 way or even just off idle my control is much better. If I wasn't so far away - I'd say your welcome to come try one out that has some wear and tear after a couple of years. I'm in SW - MI.

Good luck in your decision - I couldn't try out my TLB either as all the dealers here only have FEL on the 1025s .. 6 weeks later I owned and never touched the backhoe function until then.

Mike

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I think the consensus on the 260 is that the boom is pretty fast which takes a little getting used to. The bucket and stick seem fine control wise to me. I cannot speak for the Kubota backhoe. I shopped all colors before I purchased Deere but I didn't opt for a backhoe until I decided on brand. I was a previous Deere owner and the quality of the machine I had influenced my decision. Not that I think Kubota is not a good unit as well.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I have a 260 BH on my 1025R and have used it allot. Yes, if you run the engine RPM high, it is fast. If you run the engine RPM at around 2000 RPM, the functionality is about right. Actually the operators manual says to run the engine at no more than 2400 RPM when using the BH.
I did compare the BX25 with the 1025R when I bought mine back in 2013. The BX25 is a nice tractor but in my opinion, it isn't a JD. If you plane to change implements regularly, the JD is the way to go. Changing implements on the 1025R is so easy and takes no effort at all.
The JD has the FEL control at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.

They are both very nice tractors so I am sure you could be happy with either. Sometimes the dealer makes the difference.

omlvu23711_h0

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I have a 260 BH on my 1025R and have used it allot. Yes, if you run the engine RPM high, it is fast. If you run the engine RPM at around 2000 RPM, the functionality is about right. Actually the operators manual says to run the engine at no more than 2400 RPM when using the BH.
I did compare the BX25 with the 1025R when I bought mine back in 2013. The BX25 is a nice tractor but in my opinion, it isn't a JD. If you plane to change implements regularly, the JD is the way to go. Changing implements on the 1025R is so easy and takes no effort at all.
The JD has the FEL control at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.

They are both very nice tractors so I am sure you could be happy with either. Sometimes the dealer makes the difference.

omlvu23711_h0
I agree with Ray's comments. I have used my 260 extensively. Once you get used to it it is fine. I can even do multiple functions now. More I run it the more I like it. Would not be without it now. Fretted over the price, but no brainer now. Definatel buy the FILB or TLB which ever abbreviation you like. They are one in the same and better priced as a package. Buy everything you want at the same time and put it on the loan. My original salesman screwed me up. Did not do that, and it would have been much better for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi and Ray_PA

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Bill
I had the same dilemma when I was looking at purchasing my SCUT. The things I wanted in a tractor were that it would mow 4+ acres and had a FEL and a BH. I looked at the BX25 and the 1025R. We have very good dealers in town for both.

The things that put me off the BX were.
The pedal arrangement, I prefer the side by side arrangement of the JD, over the rocker pedal of the BX for the hydro static drive.
The seating position I prefer the JD with the tilt adjustable steering
The easy of exiting both sides on the JD, the SCV gets in the way on the BX, and as Ray-PA says "The JD has the FEL control (SCV) at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.
The most important one for me was the drive over auto connect MMM on the JD, I swap between the mower and the FEL and BH regularly.

I have no regrets what so ever purchasing my 1025R.:thumbup1gif:
Regards Johnt

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I love my 260 Backhoe. I use it for lots of things which I would have never dreamed of. Most of them could have been done by hand, but are much less work, and more fun with the backhoe.
For instance, here, we are replacing our lamp post which had fallen over.

I'm sure its not the 'bestest' backhoe in the world, but it attaches easily enough that I am willing to put it on even for a small project.

I also agree with all of John's comments. I'm certain you'll enjoy the 260!

Hi Bill
I had the same dilemma when I was looking at purchasing my SCUT. The things I wanted in a tractor were that it would mow 4+ acres and had a FEL and a BH. I looked at the BX25 and the 1025R. We have very good dealers in town for both.

The things that put me off the BX were.
The pedal arrangement, I prefer the side by side arrangement of the JD, over the rocker pedal of the BX for the hydro static drive.
The seating position I prefer the JD with the tilt adjustable steering
The easy of exiting both sides on the JD, the SCV gets in the way on the BX, and as Ray-PA says "The JD has the FEL control (SCV) at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.
The most important one for me was the drive over auto connect MMM on the JD, I swap between the mower and the FEL and BH regularly.

I have no regrets what so ever purchasing my 1025R.:thumbup1gif:
Regards Johnt

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 260 is jerky if your trying to use it like your stirring up a cake mix by hand. The controls don't like to be manhandled. You can get good with it but if you are known as a person that others refer to you as a "bull in a China cabinet" then there may not be any hope of you making it run smoothly.
I haven't tried the Kubota. Getting into the backhoe seat is another rodeo clown task too. It's tight to get into position and can require knowing where your body parts are in relation to the controls and other tractor parts. You will find a cute way to get on and off. Lol
I want to add that I really like the hoe and I don't regret getting it. I'm pleased and satisfied overall.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The 260 is jerky if your trying to use it like your stirring up a cake mix by hand. The controls don't like to be manhandled. You can get good with it but if you are known as a person that others refer to you as a "bull in a China cabinet" then there may not be any hope of you making it run smoothly.
I haven't tried the Kubota. Getting into the backhoe seat is another rodeo clown task too. It's tight to get into position and can require knowing where your body parts are in relation to the controls and other tractor parts. You will find a cute way to get on and off. Lol
I want to add that I really like the hoe and I don't regret getting it. I'm pleased and satisfied overall.
Vinson,

Good point about how difficult it is to get into the seat. It is not easy at all. It needs a step or two mounted on or near the out-rigger cylinders. With a good step, I think the rest of the 'mounting' problems would be easier to deal with.

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your comments and thank you Dieselshadow for the edit.

This would be easier if I could find a demo. The backhoe will get a lot of use and
if it handled as well as the BX this would be a no brainer. Overall I think the 1025R
is a better scut, but if the BX25D's hydraulics are better it would sway my decision.

If anyone else has a thought please jump in.

Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pedal

The one thing I really could not live with on the bx is the toe heel pedal, it is much slower and awkward to me. They state the bx has metal body parts. I've drop thing of /over my bucket/forks and they just bounced off my hood, the metal hood of the bx would have toast. 2014 1025tlb 820hrs. It is a beast for its size

Reactions: Viper21 and Ray_PA

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I would suggest trying out a 260 before you decide.
Kubota builds a real nice tractor. The backhoe may indeed be smoother than the 260.
I looked at both and decided i personally liked the 1025 better over all. JD dealer also had a real down to earth salesman and better financing at 0%.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you are really going to be using the backhoe a lot, try them both out. The Kubota seemed smoother the first time I tried it. Both are slow. The Kubota seemed slower, but easier to multi-function cylinders. The JD WILL multifunction, but at a great loss of speed. The ease of installing and removing sold me. JD much easier, as with all of the attachments.

If I was going to use the backhoe a lot, I would seriously consider a little excavator. You can get one for about twice the cost of the TLB upgrade.

The JD and Kubota are both about as small as you can get in a BH. Therefore if you are going to have to move a lot when you want to dig a trench, etc. Give both a try staying on the seat and moving the tractor forward. The JD works well after I learned a few tricks. Did not try the Kubota. I get more frustrated with the limited size than the smoothness of operation.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have done extensive snow removal with a rental B21. Here are the things that make me not want to buy one.
1. The trundle pedal required holding your right foot in the air way more than the Deere design.
2. It has independent rear brake control/pedals like the big boys. (A good thing) However they are on the same side (right) as the trundle pedal. This renders them useless to steer the tractor with down pressure on the front loader.
3. As stated the FEL control is in a bad position & hard to reach. After a few hours my right arm was ready to fall off. JD set up is way better.
4. They put a clutch pedal on the left side instead of the brake pedals. With the hydro trans it's all but useless.
5. The control levers on the left fender are cheep, confusing and hard to move.
6. As stated. Lucky for me the metal hood was full of dents when they dropped it off. I ended up bouncing quite a few hunks of snow off of it myself while using the loader.
7. The diff lock pedal is hard to use.
8. The back hoe arm is difficult to dig with. It only wants to move one cylinder at a time. It's impossible to move the wrist & elbow at the same time.
9. The fuel fill in the hood was hard to use with a 5 gallon can.
10. The front headlights and switch were horrible and didn't work correctly. When I turn on the high beams the dashboard light went out. Don't know if this was normal or broken. The grill guard blocked a lot of the light.
11. It was not exactly easy to get on & off while using the backhoe.
12. The seat is not the best.

Things I liked.
1. It was better than shoveling. lol
2. The little roof they give you.
3. The 4 lights on the roof.
4. Seems good on fuel.
5. It started easy enough in the cold weather. Without even being plugged in. Don't remember if it even had block heater.

Most of the issues were were with the tractor and not the backhoe. Also I did not use the backhoe all that much. Just to try and brake up the ice that was to solid for the loader to move.

It's definitely better to own a backhoe than renting one. Just being able to do what you want when you want is worth it to me.
The money however is another story.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I am no expert at using the 260 backhoe, but here is my experience. I bought my 1025 with 260BH at the end of March. I have put 60 hours on the tractor, I am guessing about 25-30 hours have been using the backhoe. And it is getting easier to use every time I use it. Sure there is no question it is not as capable as an excavator, but let me tell you, this backhoe has done everything I have asked of it, and then some. Big rocks, small rocks, big stumps, small stumps. It can handle it...the question is...how much time do you want to spend removing that giant stump? Got the time? It can do it.

Reactions: Jeff B

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
First off I'd really like to steer you towards the Deere - as I love my 1025 TLB. I find my backhoe projects short lived. A few stumps here and there and a few holes and trench's. With that being said the seat control is easy to deal with being 6-2 nothing is going to be real easy to get into. My controls on my 260 seem JERKY. I have a hard time really making it smooth. I have found that if I run the throttle down to 1/2 way or even just off idle my control is much better. If I wasn't so far away - I'd say your welcome to come try one out that has some wear and tear after a couple of years. I'm in SW - MI.

Good luck in your decision - I couldn't try out my TLB either as all the dealers here only have FEL on the 1025s .. 6 weeks later I owned and never touched the backhoe function until then.

Mike
I think the consensus on the 260 is that the boom is pretty fast which takes a little getting used to. The bucket and stick seem fine control wise to me. I cannot speak for the Kubota backhoe. I shopped all colors before I purchased Deere but I didn't opt for a backhoe until I decided on brand. I was a previous Deere owner and the quality of the machine I had influenced my decision. Not that I think Kubota is not a good unit as well.
this might be able to be fixed by introducing a flow restrictor?:unknown:

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
this might be able to be fixed by introducing a flow restrictor?:unknown:
Others have brought this up in the past but honestly it's not that bad.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Multifunction is slow on the 1025r but if you plan your moves out you can use the float option to really help with multifunction on the hoe.

So....how many of people knew that the BH had float as well as the FEL? It isn't well documented but there is a clear picture of it right under the boom control. I had a friend who has had a 1025r with the hoe for over a year that didn't know it was there. Once I showed it to him he was really bummed he didn't know about it.

I found mine and started using it to keep a flat bottom trench as well as increase the efficiency of movement between the spoil pile and the bottom of my hole. When I leave the spoil pile I try to raise the boom a few inches over the pile then start the traverse back to the hole. Once the trajectory is set I simply push the boom lever to the float position and it will "fall" gently into the hole. As long as you keep the float engaged no hydro pressure is diverted to press the boom down which leaves all of the hydro pressure available to swing the boom. I can also uncurl the bucket or at least start to at the same time.

I don't know if the BX has a float on the hoe or not. If it doesn't I would consider that a real negative. You can certainly dig a flat bottom hole without float, but once you learn to use it I think it makes the job way easier to do. Combine that with the ability to increase a two function move or even pull off a three function move and I think it is a feature worth weighing.

Really, three functions for the price of two...

Float.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't know how easily the backhoe on the Kubota goes on and off. The 260 hoe goes on and off really easily, though, and I love it for that reason. Drop the backhoe (and loader) in just a few minutes so that I can mow the grass, then pick them up (also in just a few minutes) to dig a hole or move a rock, etc. For both the loader and backhoe, taking them on and off is simple, needs no tools, and only takes a few minutes, so I never hesitate to do it. There is no, "meh, maybe I'll do that tomorrow because I have the loader on."

I don't know if Kubota's offerings have changed, but knowing that I needed a wrench to get the loader off of it (after having seen the Deere offering) literally made me lol and cross them off the list. How does the on/off of the backhoe compare?

---

Edit: I looked at some YouTube videos. Looks easy! Looks like the loader comes off pretty easily, too! Makes me wonder how old the tractor was that the Kubota dealer showed me, that tools were needed to take the loader off. I also wonder if they knew that would cost them a potential sale.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts