Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a lady that wants me to do some work for her. Her house, just like mine, has accumulated approximately 6-10" of sand over the entire yard on three sides. What she wants me to do is to remove all of the sand down to the original depth of the yard and then till all four sides of the house in order to prepare the yard for grass seed that she has purchased. I have never done this kind of thing before.

My questions: 1. What would be a ball-park figure that I should quote her? I'm not exactly sure as to the exact size of the property, but I do have pictures to go off of. I'm guessing about maybe just over a 1/4 acre of yard.

2. What are some good techniques for removing the sand and then leveling the ground and tilling it? My attachments consist of FEL, box blade, and revers tine tiller. I'm sure that I will also be using a grubbing hoe, shovel, and rake... I've prepared and planted thousands of acres but never put in a yard, or seen it done.

Any and all pointers will be appreciated, thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Wow. That sounds like a lot of work Especially with small equipment. Doing some quick general calculations. You are going to be moving around 325 yards of sand My 60" bucket is approximately 1/3 yard. If I was just picking it up and setting it down ... Would be over 1000 times. You'll be working it to extract and probably handling the material more than once. Then add in the yard installation after removing the sand. Then you'll have dump trucks charging a fee to move it to a different location.... It's going to be expensive. You may want to discuss this with a local contractor to get their input. They will have some knowledge of what your up against May want to sub this out

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
WOW! I'm thinking I might just learn to love sand. :lol: If it is 320 yards (and it sounds like it could be), that is more than 16 tri-axle dump truck loads, and a SCUT can't lift the bucket high enough to dump into one.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They live in the country so the sand will be placed behind the house 100 yards so no trailer. A 1,000 trips to dump it all... I hate sand. I will let y'all know what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts