Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I could really use some help. I was mowing the lawn on my 1023e only the second time since I bought it used from Padula. Has a 54d Mower deck. Mowed the front lawn fine then I felt a slight vibration along with a bang. This is when I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking and the hydraulic filter rolled out from under the tractor. It looks like the rear part of the drive shaft came off the spline and hit the hydraulic filter busting it off the mounting stud, I am trying to see if the stud that holds the hydraulic filter on can be repaired or replaced. I am also trying to understand why the rear couple came off or disconnected.

I can't tell if the housing for the hydraulic filter mount it replaceable or if the thread section that holds the filter on can be replaced or repaired. I am new to this tractor. The dealer installer the mower deck so I didn't think I had to do anything to adjust it.

Any suggestions or comments would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
:wgtt:
Sorry to hear about your problem . I think there is a thread somewhere about a similar situation with another member's tractor . Hopefully someone chimes in with more experience than I have . :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
The filter threads are made into the front cover of the transmission. It will have to be replaced in order to fix it properly. There's a chance a very good fabrication shop could reattach the threaded portion, but the cover will have to be removed for that to be done and by the time you pay the labor for the repair you've probably paid for the new cover.

It's not a good spot to be in, that's for sure. :empathy:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If the dealer installed the mower deck I would be on the phone threatening to call a lawyer unless they fix it.

For the other person this happened to, it was a few thousand dollars to fix if I recall correctly. There was just no way for them to fix it without replacing that section of the housing.

Is it an autoconnect mower deck? With the auto connect on the driveshaft? They definitely had something not hooked up right.

Very sorry to hear this... maybe you can post some pics? :empathy:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. Welcome to GTT!

·
Administrator
17,990 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
I am new to this tractor. The dealer installer the mower deck so I didn't think I had to do anything to adjust it.
Padula has been pretty good about most things with me. I'd give them a call this morning and tell them exactly what you said here. They put the mower deck on and the PTO shaft came off the 2nd time you used it and did the damage. I'd hope they'd make it good.

And :wgtt:

·
Super Moderator
8,050 Posts
The folks at Padula Brothers are straight shooters. I'm sure that they'll either repair under warranty or take responsibility to make it right.

On another note I think it's outrageous that the new 1 Series hydraulic filter nipple is cast into the transmission cover. Poor design predicated by "value engineering" that will most likely haunt others at their own expense down the road.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
On another note I think it's outrageous that the new 1 Series hydraulic filter nipple is cast into the transmission cover. Poor design predicated by "value engineering" that will most likely haunt others at their own expense down the road.
Agree 100%, cost savings over quality, just like the fact that these tractors are made with cast aluminum transmission housings, cheaping out to stay competitive in price.

This is also why I am VERY opinionated against the auto connect, which seems to be the common denominator in these pto shaft failures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcome and the information.

Unfortunately there was no way to repair the threads to the cover housing.

I am working with Padula's on the repair. They have ordered the parts and should be installing them next week. Looks like it is going to cost a few $$$ to get it fixed. Keep our fingers crossed it doesn't break the bank.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Hiya,

It's a little like closing the gate after the cows wandered off but I was looking at the Bro-Tek site and they list a skid plate for the small Deere's. You may want to give them a call to ask them if the PTO shaft goes through a slot in their design and if so, would it act somewhat like a driveshaft safety loop does on a race car, preventing the drive shaft from whipping around wrecking everything in it's path.

It may be a way to overcome the poor placement of the trans filter boss on these models.

bro-tek.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
If the dealer installed the mower deck I would be on the phone threatening to call a lawyer unless they fix it.

For the other person this happened to, it was a few thousand dollars to fix if I recall correctly. There was just no way for them to fix it without replacing that section of the housing.

Is it an autoconnect mower deck? With the auto connect on the driveshaft? They definitely had something not hooked up right.

Very sorry to hear this... maybe you can post some pics? :empathy:
Really, that would be your first approach, rather than just simply talking to them reasonably?? I get these threats at work probably 5 or 6 times a year and I can tell you the quickest way to NOT get my full attention or cooperation is to tell me you are lawyered up. My response is always the same; congratulations, but really I don't give a $***. If one of my delivery drives rips up a lawn because he slid off of it on the ice the person who speaks reasonably always gets their lawn fixed quicker than those who threaten to have their lawyer call me. He deals with a very good dealer according to others, I'm sure they'll do what is necessary to fix this when approached in a mature manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

Very sorry to hear this... maybe you can post some pics?
Really, that would be your first approach, rather than just simply talking to them reasonably?? I get these threats at work probably 5 or 6 times a year and I can tell you the quickest way to NOT get my full attention or cooperation is to tell me you are lawyered up. My response is always the same; congratulations, but really I don't give a $***. If one of my delivery drives rips up a lawn because he slid off of it on the ice the person who speaks reasonably always gets their lawn fixed quicker than those who threaten to have their lawyer call me. He deals with a very good dealer according to others, I'm sure they'll do what is necessary to fix this when approached in a mature manner.

Well it sounds to me like the OP is expected to pay for the repairs caused by the dealer's incompetence to correctly attach the mower. So there's a fine line between being a jerk and being taken advantage of.

Start off with threats? No I wouldn't advise that, didn't mean to. But when you take the nice route and then are told "TFB, you're paying to fix it", when THEY f'ed up, you take matters to the next level. Do you think this guy should be paying thousands for the repair? I sure don't.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kajoyce so was it an auto connect system or the manual hook up? Soneone else asked this question as well. Sorry to hear of this damage. Thanks :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well it sounds to me like the OP is expected to pay for the repairs caused by the dealer's incompetence to correctly attach the mower. So there's a fine line between being a jerk and being taken advantage of.

Start off with threats? No I wouldn't advise that, didn't mean to. But when you take the nice route and then are told "TFB, you're paying to fix it", when THEY f'ed up, you take matters to the next level. Do you think this guy should be paying thousands for the repair? I sure don't.
My local dealership would laugh at you if you came in threatening to call an attorney.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Had a bike shop customer that damaged an exhaust system heat shield. It was from a major after market manufacturer. How it works is next time that they build that system they run off however many extras are needed for special orders. Otherwise they just make enough for the kits. So it's usually 4-6 weeks plus shipping time from California.
This guy didn't want to hear it. He ended up calling them directly to complain. I absolutely hate when people do this. Like they are going to speed things up by going over my head. First off manufacturers rule is that they only deal with authorized dealers. Not directly with customers. Well his ranting and raving really p1ssed who he spoke to off. So bad this guy called me at work. I assured him I had nothing to do with the customer calling him. Well he told me WHAT was going to happen. After they made the new part he's holding it another 2 weeks before it would ship.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Had a bike shop customer that damaged an exhaust system heat shield. It was from a major after market manufacturer. How it works is next time that they build that system they run off however many extras are needed for special orders. Otherwise they just make enough for the kits. So it's usually 4-6 weeks plus shipping time from California.
This guy didn't want to hear it. He ended up calling them directly to complain. I absolutely hate when people do this. Like they are going to speed things up by going over my head. First off manufacturers rule is that they only deal with authorized dealers. Not directly with customers. Well his ranting and raving really p1ssed who he spoke to off. So bad this guy called me at work. I assured him I had nothing to do with the customer calling him. Well he told me WHAT was going to happen. After they made the new part he's holding it another 2 weeks before it would ship.
I got two impressions from the original post aside from the fact that would've been a real bad day.
1. It seems like a very new tractor
2. He hadn't contacted the dealer yet.
My point was simple, a level headed first approach will get him a lot farther than walking in and handing them your lawyers card. Especially with a dealer that a few others have said are very good to work with.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would read the manual and check the language to see if it states that the OP is suppose to check that coupling for proper fit. If technically the OP is responsible, I would ask the dealer if he could write it up in the right way and try to help get it covered under warrenty.

I wouldn't get involved with trying to fix that damaged cast piece. You don't know what else was whacked or hit or how else it was stressed. If you are still under warrenty and the fix goes bad, it will only get worse. Also, boring that out, threading it and putting a nipple in "true" is not as easy as it sounds. At a minimum you would need a mill trammed up and a dial indicator along with a host of other stuff. I wouldn't relocate the filter either. The motor was designed for the filter to be exactly where it is based on pressure, flow, and level of the filter.

Getting a bill always stinks, but if fixed the right way your rig will be back in service with no future worries.

Hope it works out, keep us posted,
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it is all fixed. They aren't exactly sure what caused the shaft to disconnect but it is definitely something I will be checking every time I go to mow the lawn. No final numbers on the bill. So I can't pass that information along.

Thanks everyone for the information and the suggestions. Still need to follow up on the skid plate suggestion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts