Green Tractor Talk banner

Need some help with well pump/pressure tank diagnosis.

993 10
Hi all.

I figure with all the knowledgeable folks and varied backgrounds, someone here can help.
I am having some issues and not sure where to start, so Ill try to describe whats going on.

Info I know about the system. If Im missing something, let me know and Ill find it.
Well is 70' deep
20 gallon pressure tank, in crawl
30-50 pressure switch
Pump is original as far as I know, from 1992

We've been in this house a bit over 5 years.
Initially, we had great water pressure. Actually, its been great until just the last several months. Started just before Winter Id guess.
Its not bad, but not near what it used to be, judging only by water flow at faucets.
Getting to the tank is a bit of a process, as its in the crawl, and while the access is in the house, its in a closet, and said closet is in constant use, so it has to be cleared out first.
I had concerns initially because the pump/system is noisy. Id never heard much from wells Id been around before moving here, other than a slight hum when the pump was running. This one, you hear a louder hum when running, and a clunk when it shuts off.
From what Ive read, that clunk could be a bad check valve. No idea about the louder sound of the pump.

I had planned initially to replace everything in the crawl but the incoming 1" line from the well, and go to a 40-60 switch, 20gal tank, either fiberglass or steel, and a cycle stop valve to keep the pressure steady at 50psi while its running. Those are really cool by the way if anyone runs water more than just showers and such.

Now Im a bit concerned that the lower pressure could be the pump failing.
It could also be the pressure tank, or even the pressure switch.

Any way to tell for sure?
I dont really mind replacing the pump, as I can likely pull it myself from 70' down, and at nearly 30 years, its probably getting close to the end of its life anyway, but Id like to know for sure whats going on.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
I don't have anything to add to the diagnosing, but if you end up replacing your pump, you should look into a variable speed constant pressure pump and controller, my well contractor set me up with one after talking me out of the cycle stop valve which he called a band aid. I don't know enough about it to say whether that's true, but what they setup for me has been very nice. No cycling once water useage starts, it just changes the pump speed to match demand and only shuts it down when demand stops.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.