Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am buying a 4' bush hog this afternoon from Tractor Supply. Easy choice right? Not so fast, they have two models, one with a single wheel, the other with two. The 2 wheeled model is only $50 more. Any input? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Although most TSC implements are pretty well built and reliable, their brush hogs and rear blades are not that great. I have experience with the single-wheeled version of their brush hog, and the darn thing fell apart in just a couple of hours use (TPH mounting hardware vibrated right out). Their rear blades need a gusset along the length of the blade to keep it from folding up like a cheap barkolounger.

I'd look into a Frontier or Brushog brand. Just my experience/opinion.

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
Having a little more time now I will add to this -

If you really look at the 2 mowers and their specs you will likely see that they are in fact more differences than one having one tail wheel vs. two.

More than likely the one with 2 wheels is an "XB" model which is designed to be used with "limited" cat 1 tractors. The other single wheel model will be for a "standard" cat 1 tractor. The hitches are configured differently.

Reactions: TJR345

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Having a little more time now I will add to this -

If you really look at the 2 mowers and their specs you will likely see that they are in fact more differences than one having one tail wheel vs. two.

More than likely the one with 2 wheels is an "XB" model which is designed to be used with "limited" cat 1 tractors. The other single wheel model will be for a "standard" cat 1 tractor. The hitches are configured differently.
+1

The 2-wheeled version is painted red. That's their light-weight line for limited Cat 1 machines with no more than 25 HP. And while it does have 2 wheels, they are pretty cheesy wheels.

TSC's 3 pt equipment that is painted yellow is is a heavier version (although it is NOT "heavy duty") with one wheel and designed for machines in the 25-45 HP range. That wheel is a much better wheel though.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the dust has settled, and there is a bush hog on the back of the tractor now. I ended up checking a nearby tractor dealer(not green). They carry Land Pride and Woods. A call first to Deere, their Frontier 48" hog is $1840. The Woods $1650, and the Land Pride $1395. I went with the Land Pride, which had a slip clutch for that price. I looked at the Country Line hogs, and I just couldn't see them holding up over the long haul. I used to have a New Holland TC40d, and had a few Land Pride attachments. Built well, medium priced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the cutter in the back of the truck. That was a real bugger getting it out of the truck by myself. Ended up taking the tail wheel off.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know who quoted you the price on the Woods, but I bought a Woods RC4 rotary cutter a little over year ago for $1200 from my John Deere dealer. And it was even green. I used it a lot last summer and it has held up great.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
233 Posts
Compare specs I have a frontier no problems since I bought 4 years ago with my 1026r.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Land Pride has a good reputation on there implements. You should be all set for many years.

Woods would have been another good choice. They used to, and probably still do, make some of the Frontier equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts