Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a task that is hard to describe. I need to be able to tip over and then dump IBC totes (cages) full of lightweight compost material.

I'm trying to use straps to first tip on its side, then reattach and lift the bottom to dump and empty. But the straps slip when I try lifting and the forks tilt, etc. The whole heavy bin comes sliding toward me. It then gets too close for me to be able to tip and dump.

Anyway, this is hard to visualize. And I'm looking for something I can attach to various points on the cage, lift it, and keep it away from the tractor. I saw something like this online. Does anyone know of something similar, and where I could get something like this shipped to Hawaii. Anything bigger and too much heavier is going to get expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I'm trying to visualize what you're describing. I think I have it, but... :unknown:

If you already have a set of forks on your tractor, can you pull your forks in under the tote (in the "standard" holes in the bottom of the tote) and then ratchet strap the tote to the fork frame. Then, you should be able to lift the tote and then curl your FEL forward so that the contents of the tote dump out.

I know that on my FEL, I can curl forward far enough that the forks are at a greater than 90 degree angle to the ground so the contents should spill out.

Can you post a picture of your setup, with your forks curled as far forward as possible, so we can have a look at this?

====================

Do you need to empty the totes on top of an existing pile? Or can you just dump the contents on the ground? If you can just dump the contents, can you just set the tote on the ground, use the tips of the forks to tip the tote over on its side and then use them again to flip it upside down? Then you could put the forks in the tote-holes and lift the tote off the pile of compost material? If you needed to then make a bigger pile, you can quickly switch from the forks to the bucket and pile it up.

Again, pics would be helpful.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm trying to visualize what you're describing. I think I have it, but... :unknown:

If you already have a set of forks on your tractor, can you pull your forks in under the tote (in the "standard" holes in the bottom of the tote) and then ratchet strap the tote to the fork frame. Then, you should be able to lift the tote and then curl your FEL forward so that the contents of the tote dump out.

I know that on my FEL, I can curl forward far enough that the forks are at a greater than 90 degree angle to the ground so the contents should spill out.

Can you post a picture of your setup, with your forks curled as far forward as possible, so we can have a look at this?

====================

Do you need to empty the totes on top of an existing pile? Or can you just dump the contents on the ground? If you can just dump the contents, can you just set the tote on the ground, use the tips of the forks to tip the tote over on its side and then use them again to flip it upside down? Then you could put the forks in the tote-holes and lift the tote off the pile of compost material? If you needed to then make a bigger pile, you can quickly switch from the forks to the bucket and pile it up.

Exactly what I was thinking, unless I am misunderstanding what exactly it is you are trying to do.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drill a bolt hole in the end of your fork tip. You can then bolt the chain/strap ect to the tip.
I considered that, but was afraid that since I use the tips of these forks a lot for digging up gnarly lava rock, I was afraid I might mess up the end if I put a big hole out there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the

====================

Thanks for all the help from everyone. If my tractor were larger and my land more lever, I believe that would work. However, neither situation is going to change any time soon.

I need to dump these in many different locations around this very rocky and hilly property. Because of the topography, handling capacity loads like these, "higher up," is scary going. And to dump these things (if tied to the forks), the loader arms would have to be pretty high. But even if that were a possibility - my 1025r barely gets these things off the trailer - and once off I can't raise them more than a few inches off the ground.

But I can lift/tilt from the bottom with a strap (since I'm not lifting all the weight) and lay it on its side. Problem is that if I do this it gets halfway to the balance point and then wants to "bang" down the rest of the way. And these cages are not built to take sideways torque or pressure like that. Plus, no matter how I configure the forks/straps they slip/slide down close to the tractor and the tipping method won't work. Sometimes the cage will actually bang into the front of the tractor if the strap slides all the way down.

So, I think I can do a two step tilt on the ground technique if I could keep the point of lifting out away from the tractor. And because I never would have to lift the full weight (because the cage would always be partially on the ground) it would work. In addition, the cage would never be experiencing the full weight of the load in a sideways direction - always partially supported by the ground one way, and lifting force the other - in what I would hope would be a smooth easy motion.

Here's the bins - fully maxed out for a 1025r.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You can do a 2 strap lift and roll it over. Part of it is leave the strap on top longer and some room between the tractor so you can roll forward some to help control the drop part. Your forks are your best friend for tipping it over, as you can use straps at the top to control it while you lift and tilt down to roll it over. Wish I could show you what i mean but I don't have forks or 1 of those cages to show you how i would do it. I ran big commercial forlifts and used to unload those and carry them from loading docks or wherever. Especially when the one computer place we were adding onto their little forklift wouldnt go in the snow or across our jobsite to a loading dock we made temp for them. They were filled with acid. Couldnt drop them or it would have been very bad!

You didnt say what you have on the back as counterweight? A pic of your setup would help too. Then we could offer some better advice?

Anyway, not sure if that helped or not.
Good luck!
WB

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
You can't hook to the cage on an ibc tank. It's simply not strong enough and the individual bars will start breaking apart at the welds. You need to hook the very bottom, like in the fork pockets, to help tip them over.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This is probably a stupid idea, I don't completely understand what you are hoping to accomplish. But if the containers are open on top and are big enough, could you use your backhoe mentioned in your signature line to empty enough from the container to make it more manageable using other methods? Feel free to confirm it's a stupid idea. :laugh:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is probably a stupid idea, I don't completely understand what you are hoping to accomplish. But if the containers are open on top and are big enough, could you use your backhoe mentioned in your signature line to empty enough from the container to make it more manageable using other methods? Feel free to confirm it's a stupid idea. :laugh:
No idea is ever stupid - as they can often generate other thought processes. So thanks.

However, if you look at the pics I posted you can see the totes are not wide enough to accommodate the bucket. And hand shoveling would be time consuming, not to mention awkward.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Someone, maybe on the other thread about this, [yep, it was mark02tj!] mentioned having the source load them with less material. Kinda spurred my thinking of "decrease the weight of the container." I couldn't tell the size of your containers, if the 1025r had been there I would probably have been able to see. Oh well, I have no other suggestions. Good luck with it, and be careful on those slopes!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about using you backhoe to pick up something attached to the bottom of the tote and use the opposite edge as your pivot point?
Problem I'm having is that if I do that the bin gets to a point and then rapidly crashes to side - and the cage just isn't designed to take a hit like that fully loaded. What I need to do is attach a strap about halfway up, then lift and "walk" the tractor forward initiating the tip. Then when it gets to the "roll over" angle, I need to have the ability to lower it slowly to its side - which I can if the strap is attached in the right place.

Trouble is, if the bin is too close to the tractor (1025r) there isn't enough clearance. Therefore, I need something to keep the strap securely a distance away from the front of the tractor - because it always wants to slip down to its closest point on the forks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No idea is ever stupid - as they can often generate other thought processes. So thanks.

However, if you look at the pics I posted you can see the totes are not wide enough to accommodate the bucket. And hand shoveling would be time consuming, not to mention awkward.
So you are saying the totes aren't wide enough to accommodate an 8"wide BH bucket? those pallets look to be about 3ft x 3ft and the entire top of the tote is open, don't see why you cant use the BH. You seem to have an unusual problem, hope you get something figured out. good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So you are saying the totes aren't wide enough to accommodate an 8"wide BH bucket? those pallets look to be about 3ft x 3ft and the entire top of the tote is open, don't see why you cant use the BH. You seem to have an unusual problem, hope you get something figured out. good luck
You're right - I mis-read and thought loader bucket. However, since the material is fairly lightweight, it would probably be easier to use a big "stable" shovel to unload some weight - rather than setting up the backhoe and taking multiple 8 in. backhoe buckets out, then turning everything back around to do the tipping.

Since I'm using the forks to maneuver these into place, if I can use these new "gizmos" and put them on the forks and only have to get off and on the tractor a minimum of times. I'll post some pics when I get them set up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You're right - I mis-read and thought loader bucket. However, since the material is fairly lightweight, it would probably be easier to use a big "stable" shovel to unload some weight - rather than setting up the backhoe and taking multiple 8 in. backhoe buckets out, then turning everything back around to do the tipping.

Since I'm using the forks to maneuver these into place, if I can use these new "gizmos" and put them on the forks and only have to get off and on the tractor a minimum of times. I'll post some pics when I get them set up.

So you have a front loader bucket??? If so tip the tote into your bucket. Strap the tote to the bucket in such a way you can tip it into the bucket while using the bucket to control the tote so it doesn't crash down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts