Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my house a couple years ago. It sits on ~1.5 acres. The previous owners rode dirt bikes, drove trucks and everything else through the yard and completely ruined it. There are ruts that go clear up to the axles of truck. Other sections, like where the redid the septic system are kidney hurting when mowing. There are some sections where it dips down a foot and then back up within a five foot length. I have a 1025r with a backhoe, bucket, box blade. I need some suggestions and best course of action to take to help level this! I'm thinking maybe getting a tiller and tilling it all and using the box blade to move from the high areas to low areas? Maybe a land plane? It's all grown sod/weeds. Attached is the image of where I need to fix. It's around an acre or so that needs repaired.

DHtG6af.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What equipment do you have??? :kidw_truck_smiley:

OR,,,

What amount of :gizmo: are you willing to spend?? :dunno:
I have a 1025, with bucket, backhoe, box blade. I am open to spending some money to buy some new equipment.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
I purchased my house a couple years ago. It sits on ~1.5 acres. The previous owners rode dirt bikes, drove trucks and everything else through the yard and completely ruined it. There are ruts that go clear up to the axles of truck. Other sections, like where the redid the septic system are kidney hurting when mowing. There are some sections where it dips down a foot and then back up within a five foot length. I have a 1025r with a backhoe, bucket, box blade. I need some suggestions and best course of action to take to help level this! I'm thinking maybe getting a tiller and tilling it all and using the box blade to move from the high areas to low areas? Maybe a land plane? It's all grown sod/weeds. Attached is the image of where I need to fix. It's around an acre or so that needs repaired.
Have you tried the box blade yet, I’d try and work that before buying another implement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried the box blade yet, I’d try and work that before buying another implement.

I have not yet. I dont know how it will work with the sod still there. I'm worried all the sod will just bunch up and not fill in like loose material will.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
I have not yet. I dont know how it will work with the sod still there. I'm worried all the sod will just bunch up and not fill in like loose material will.
It should if you break it up with the scarafiers I would think. Yes there are probably better ways to do it but for me I would just take my time and use what I have. Even the bucket on the FEL if you have a tooth bar can be a useful tool in that situation.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Rip it first

Run the box blade with the scarifiers down and the back tilted up so you are basically just ripping it. Run it one way and then cross at 45 degrees and then again at 45 the other way from your first run. That should break up the sod well enough to be able to level out most issues. In very extreme cases, you may have to bring in additional soil.

You have the tools necessary to accomplish the task but hey, things can always be done faster or better with more toys. . .tools. If you want to spend :gizmo: rest assured you can get lots of help here.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If you're willing to spend the money, maybe just get a few tons of fill dirt and fill the ruts and low spots?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you're willing to spend the money, maybe just get a few tons of fill dirt and fill the ruts and low spots?
BOO!! Who wants to buy dirt,, when that money could be buying iron toys !!?? :dunno:

:lolol:

Sorry, I could not resist,,,

I guess my suggestion will be to not buy any iron, but, rather buy some Roundup,,

Kill the grass, come back in 3-4 weeks, and you will be able to move the soil with the dead grass much easier.

Spray Roundup now, by fall, the area will be ready to seed,
the only :gizmo: spent is $10 for Roundup,,, and grass seed that you needed to spend anyway,,, :good2:

P.S.,,,,
I guess I do not know how much rain you get,, or if you have a way to water the grass,,
If you have water, you will not have to wait for the fall cool, wet grass growing time,,,

·
Registered
11,748 Posts

:quiet: jeepers he was all ready to go out and add to his supply--and now ya done convinced him to use that old box blade he has:lolol:i vote for killing off the grass first-sod is not ur friend when trying to grade dirt-nope--not a bit. kill it first-then hit it with a rototiller then-then use the box blade, or land plane, etc. :lol:

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
:quiet: jeepers he was all ready to go out and add to his supply--and now ya done convinced him to use that old box blade he has:lolol:i vote for killing off the grass first-sod is not ur friend when trying to grade dirt-nope--not a bit. kill it first-then hit it with a rototiller then-then use the box blade, or land plane, etc. :lol:
I see what you did there :think: you're convincing him to buy a tiller AND use the box blade he already has :thumbup1gif:

That's pure genius :lol:

I do agree with the burning off of the grass, that will make it much easier to work, only have to wait 2 weeks then tear it up.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wondering what your time frame is? I see you have waited two years to start the project. Are you under pressure from someone :whip:now to get it done quickly, or do you have a lot of time on your hands.

Having tried a similar project with a 1025 and box blade and finding that it would take way more time than I planned (due to inexperience plus lots of unexpected buried stumps and roots that overpowered the little tractor), I finally hired someone with both experience and bigger equipment who knocked out the job quickly. The 1025 was great for the final grooming and maintenance.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If time isnt an issue, try the roundup/box blade method.
Were it me, and even if time werent an issue, Id go rent a tiller and get it done in a day or two vs months.
Im not a patient sort of guy, and when I get set to start a project, I want to get it done ASAP.

The other thing is, no matter how well you kill it all off, you will still have quite a bit of roots to deal with and they dont like to lay flat. A tiller will break everything up pretty nice and leave a good surface to plant grass in. The box blade will likely leave a much, um, chunkier? surface. With a tiller, if you see another area that might need attention while you are working, you can just take care of it. If you find an area like that with the round up method, its much harder.

Im all for buying new stuff when necessary, and a tiller is on my short list, but if you dont have need for one on a regular basis, renting from somewhere like Sunbelt is a good alternative.

Be sure to get some before/after shots and let us know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Subscribed :good2:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm thinking that filling in the low spots would be more time consuming that just tilling and box blading the whole thing? I'd fill in the lowest of the low, then shave off the highest of the high, and then rethink.

I'm kinda cautious when taking dirt off, but I do like to fill things in!

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Do you have a septic system?

You don't want to take any dirt off the top of the field bed or dig (with a tiller) too deep over them.

I would also look at drainage as well. Some of the low spots may be serving as storm water drainage. I would work from the inside out.

I would look at carving off unusual high spots and use that as fill for lower spots.

If you can find some good dirt I would go that route for the really low / bad spots.

Tilling will loosen the soil a lot and you will need to be able to re-pack it or let it settle. If tilling, only go as deep as you have to.

You can do a lot with the loader and box blade. Just work on one area at a time and whittle away at it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it's wet a lawn roller will help with some of the smaller ruts and unevenness and will the landscape rake. At least with the roller you aren't destroying your lawn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts