Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm clearing out an old dog pen to use for my pet rabbits. Its been covered with leaves for a very long time, and is bare dirt underneath. I need a grass blend that does well in lots of shade (the pen is under trees), deals well with lots of moisture, and is something my bunnies can graze on, but doesn't require lots of upkeep (I MAY be able to get in there with a reel mower, but there's saplings that I've cut down, and roots from surrounding trees that will be in the way). What would my ideal blend be? I was thinking rye, tall fescue, and clover, but I don't know how well those three fit my criteria.. Thoughts?

Oh, and here is a link to a picture of the area.

preparing a summer home for my idjits. - Album on Imgur

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
I have a combination of perennial rye and red fescue planted in similar circumstances. The rye comes in early and then the fescue pretty much takes over later in the summer. I get clover in the lawn but I didn't plant it. Came up all on it's own. The fescue doesn't like the amount of water I get in the spring so it won't really start growing well until July when things dry out pretty well. Some of that may also be due to the acidic soil I have though too.

Just as an FYI, 3 adult rabbits will keep an 8'x8' area pretty much clean right down to the dirt if you just let them forage and don't supplement with feed. Not sure how many rabbits and how big of an area you have but mowing may end up being the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions.. Our town is called Springwater for a reason, unfortunately.. Haha

Just as an FYI, 3 adult rabbits will keep an 8'x8' area pretty much clean right down to the dirt if you just let them forage and don't supplement with feed. Not sure how many rabbits and how big of an area you have but mowing may end up being the least of your concerns.
There are two adult lionheads, and they will get pellets, hay, and assorted veggies, as well as being able to munch on grass. I haven't measured the space yet, but its probably at least 150sqft all told.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I dunno'.........it doesn't look too promising a place to grow any grass.
Especially that far north, with the spring and summer season so short.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts