Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home at 8 this evening, left home at 6 this morning, 936 miles this week (a lot for me).

The wife has been having back problems since the first of the month, Dr gave her prescriptions for pain killers thinking it was just a sprain, a week later (on a Monday) took her back to the Dr, orders for MRI on Friday. Results were supposed to be ready by Tuesday. Monday night she had me take her to the local ER, they transferred her to St Joe, 80 miles away. Verdict was "spinal infection", they did a CT guided biopsy to find the right bacteria causing the infection & put her on two strong antibiotics. The cultures never grew, so she is still on two general antibiotics. Today, it took all day to get her transferred to a closer hospital "swing bed", couldn't get her in here (two miles from home) so she's at the next town, 25 miles away (better than the 80 mile drive). She'll be there for a few days until she can get around better. Antibiotic infusions daily for the next six weeks, maybe more!

She did good on the trip over!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The, to make my life worse, it's time to make the call tomorrow for Chief's final visit to the vet! He's been with us for over 14 years, really old for a Dalmatian! His eyesight & hearing are gone, his hind legs are really weak so it's time.

As some of you may have guessed from my posts, my dogs mean more to me than most people!

·
Premium Member
14,143 Posts
Hate to hit the like button for your post.

Prayers to you and your wife hopefully they find what is causing the problem.

and hate to hear about your dog.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Lowell, I’m truly sorry and very saddened to read this post. I wish there were some great words to say to make you feel better about Chief. I’ve really enjoyed you pictures and he always likes to be in them.

I hope your wife finds some relief quickly and returns home very soon. :hi:

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Greenspot110--sorry to hear about Chief and ur wife. both sick at the same time-jeepers-talk about bad luck for sure.

i'll say a few prayers for the both of them-ok. and i too have enjoyed ur pics of ur dogs greatly over the yrs i've been on here.
:pray::pray::pray:

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Lowell, I hope your wife finds relief with the infusions and gets back on her feet.

As far as Chief goes, you have read my posts on Dynamite and know that dogs mean more to me than most people also. I am convinced that we will be reunited with them when our time on earth is finished. The final trip to the veterinarian is a tough trip to say the least. I will be thinking about you and Chief.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Thoughts are with you.........

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I'm sorry to read of both your issues grnspot110. It's good that your wife is closer to home, but really sad about Chief.

Sharing one's burdens is not whining. It's healthy to talk about things that are weighing on us and no better place to do so than here amongst friends.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Lowell sad to read this. Thoughts and prayers for your wife that the infusion make her better and that they found the problem and she is getting better.

Agree our dogs mean the most to us and like you said more than most people. Sorry to hear about Chief , you gave him a great life.Prayers.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Lowell, sorry to hear about your wife, but it sounds like things will be improving for her (and for you as well).
I am also very sorry to hear about Chief. I know what it is like to put down a Dal, and I know how tough it is. But you are right, 14 years is a long time for a Dal. We had to put down ours when she was 12.

Wishing you the best...give Chief a nice hug for me.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Sorry to read this Lowell

Prayers for your wife and hope that you find peace during this time.

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
Sorry to hear all what you are going through Lowell.

Been there / done that on both accounts.

When Mrs. C was hauled off to the trauma center 150 miles away it was a real problem. I have nothing I can do with Jake and had to leave him home when I went to the hospital. I wish I could have stayed there in a motel but had to stay for a couple hours then drive another 3.5 hours home. The entire time I was gone I worried about Jake being home alone for 9-10 hours.

Plus the fact I just can’t drive long distances any more without getting very tired. I pleaded with the hospital people to transfer her to our local hospital 35 miles away once she was stabilized. Told them I could spend a lot more time with her if she was closer which is something she really needed. But it never happened.

Things like you are going through seem to happen all at once for some reason. When it is over and done with - hopefully soon - it certainly makes you appreciate the more mellow normal days.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Lowell - so sorry to hear this news about your wife and Chief. I pray that the infusions do the trick for her.

I'll keep you in my thoughts over the next couple of days. Like so many of this gang, I love ol' Clyde (my yellow Lab) more than most people. He's always there and never causes me any grief. I know that Chief is the same way for you. The best thing you can do is be there with him for his final journey.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Prayers

Prayers for your wife and for your loss. Either one is tough but to have them piled on top of each other is really unfortunate. I hope your wife starts recovering soon. Dogs never really leave us, they just temporarily are off doing their thing in another place.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
grnspot110,

I hope the best for your wife that the infusions she is receiving heals her quickly and back to normal soon.

Sorry to hear about Chief.

·
Premium Member
7,995 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers for your wife.

As for the other, I ain't got the words. I can't type real well with water in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Tough situation on both accounts. Thoughts and prayers coming your way. :empathy::pray:

1 - 20 of 193 Posts