Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Message to John Deere Z900 series Ztrak owners. I need some (one or more) of the owners here to help me to install a John Deere suspension seat to my Z710A Ztrak.

From all my searches on the John Deere parts catalog, there is a difference in the seat plate on a Z710A and the Z900 series. However, I don't know how much difference on the dimensions the seat plate bolts to the tractor frame bracket. There are two flanges on the bracket the seat plate attaches to. On my Z710A the dimensions between the two flanges that has a bolt hole in them...are 13-3/8" apart. NOTE: I will not be able to use my seat plate #TCU28010 due to the bolt pattern on the later JD suspension seat bracket. So, to anyone that has a Z900 series that would like to help here, I need the dimension on the two "front" bolt flanges on your seat plate #TCU39650. If they are the same distance as my seat plate flanges....13-3/8" apart, then I can buy the Z900 series seat plate and also the suspension seat.

If you need more information...just ask.

Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have made this thread before asking for help in desire or Must to install a suspension seat on my Z710A.

Last fall after a day of mowing, my back started hurting to the point I had to go see Orthopedic surgeon on the pain I was having. In his many questions on what I had been doing to cause the pain, I mentioned that I had spent over four hours mowing on a Zero turn mower.
He ask if I had a seat that help take the bouncing out of the mowing, I said no. He suggested that I look into buying a seat that would help my back and also to get a back brace to wear.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,319 Posts
I should have made this thread before asking for help in desire or Must to install a suspension seat on my Z710A.

Last fall after a day of mowing, my back started hurting to the point I had to go see Orthopedic surgeon on the pain I was having. In his many questions on what I had been doing to cause the pain, I mentioned that I had spent over four hours mowing on a Zero turn mower.
He ask if I had a seat that help take the bouncing out of the mowing, I said no. He suggested that I look into buying a seat that would help my back and also to get a back brace to wear.
Not sure of what dimensions your are talking about, took some quick measurements of how the seat is mounted
on my 997.
The suspension seat is mounted to the front/back position slide rails which are mounted to the flip up seat plate.

See pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not sure of what dimensions your are talking about, took some quick measurements of how the seat is mounted
on my 997.
The suspension seat is mounted to the front/back position slide rails which are mounted to the flip up seat plate.

See pics:
Thanks OC for the fast response. What I need is the 'inches' between the two metal flanges (with the bolts and spring clips)that has the base seat plate (the green plate) the whole mechanism is bolted to. That would be the large green plate that hinges -pivots(bolted) to the tractor frame down in front under the seat.
If your seat plate #TCU39650 is 13-3/8" from the left and right bolt holes, that would be the plate seat bracket I would buy from John Deere to mount the new ComgortGlide suspension seat.

Thanks'

Fred

·
Old Pa-pa
11,319 Posts
Thanks OC for the fast response. What I need is the 'inches' between the two metal flanges (with the bolts and spring clips)that has the base seat plate (the green plate) the whole mechanism is bolted to. That would be the large green plate that hinges -pivots(bolted) to the tractor frame down in front under the seat.
If your seat plate #TCU39650 is 13-3/8" from the left and right bolt holes, that would be the plate seat bracket I would buy from John Deere to mount the new ComgortGlide suspension seat.

Thanks'

Fred
On mine that measures 15 1/16".
That's the plate (pivot plate) that the rails and suspension seat mount to.

I'm guessing that the 900 series may have different plate sizes depending on the over all size of the machines.
The 997 plate may not apply to yours.

Good luck with getting a suspension seat on yours, it helps, but not totally by any means.

You have to set the adjustable tension just right to where it doesn't bottom out on your roughest ground, but still enough
spring to cushion most of the shock to your back.

Also have found if you stay loose like when riding a horse, that helps, but sometimes when I'm mowing for
a long time, it takes a bit of walking to straighten out afterward.

There are several threads on suspension seats and air ride seats and their installation.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old Cajun, I appreciate your checking into this. When I mentioned if anyone on here that had a Z900 series Ztrak, I forgot the Z997 was a different zero turn than the others. However, I think the Z915B, Z920, Z930, and Z960 may have the seat plate #TCU39650 part, and that I hope is smaller width that would bolt right up to the pivot flanges on my Z710A....13-3/8" apart. Maybe some other member here will read this and make a check for me. I called the salesman at my dealer to see if he knew the measurements, he called back as said they didn't any Z900 series on hand.

BTW: How is everything down in Louisiana? In my days working for a company, I had the opportunity to travel to Louisiana over the forty years. I sure miss having a great meal of the famous Louisiana Jumbo Shrimp. Couple years back, I told the wife we need to go eat out. She said where? I said we would make a trip to Baton Rouge, La for some jumbo shrimp and hear some good old fiddle music playing Bonparte's Retreat.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,319 Posts
Old Cajun, I appreciate your checking into this. When I mentioned if anyone on here that had a Z900 series Ztrak, I forgot the Z997 was a different zero turn than the others. However, I think the Z915B, Z920, Z930, and Z960 may have the seat plate #TCU39650 part, and that I hope is smaller width that would bolt right up to the pivot flanges on my Z710A....13-3/8" apart. Maybe some other member here will read this and make a check for me. I called the salesman at my dealer to see if he knew the measurements, he called back as said they didn't any Z900 series on hand.

BTW: How is everything down in Louisiana? In my days working for a company, I had the opportunity to travel to Louisiana over the forty years. I sure miss having a great meal of the famous Louisiana Jumbo Shrimp. Couple years back, I told the wife we need to go eat out. She said where? I said we would make a trip to Baton Rouge, La for some jumbo shrimp and hear some good old fiddle music playing Bonparte's Retreat.
Food still good, sometimes too good. :laugh:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
old cajun, Couldn't get any good results on the JD seat plate dimensions. So, I just went an ordered a Seats brand Model #509264 suspension seat assembly for $134.98 free ship. It appears to look the same as the one you have on your Zero Turn. I should have it on Fri. 28th. I'm going from what appears to me that I have to "cut" the wiring to the seat safety switch and insert a 'HiseNook' waterproof 2 pin connector plug, as it appears I won't be able to plug in the safety switch connector under the seat due to the mounting of the suspension seat assembly. That won't be difficult to do...change the way it is now wired.

Also, I note from the picture you posted above, it appears your suspension seat is mounted 'direct' to the underside of the seat, and the slide rails are then mounted to the underside of the suspension and to the tractor seat plate. I had intended to do the opposite. I will take a look at that when I get the suspension seat.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,319 Posts
old cajun, Couldn't get any good results on the JD seat plate dimensions. So, I just went an ordered a Seats brand Model #509264 suspension seat assembly for $134.98 free ship. It appears to look the same as the one you have on your Zero Turn. I should have it on Fri. 28th. I'm going from what appears to me that I have to "cut" the wiring to the seat safety switch and insert a 'HiseNook' waterproof 2 pin connector plug, as it appears I won't be able to plug in the safety switch connector under the seat due to the mounting of the suspension seat assembly. That won't be difficult to do...change the way it is now wired.

Also, I note from the picture you posted above, it appears your suspension seat is mounted 'direct' to the underside of the seat, and the slide rails are then mounted to the underside of the suspension and to the tractor seat plate. I had intended to do the opposite. I will take a look at that when I get the suspension seat.
The 997 as it was at the dealer, had just the seat on the slide rails, talked them into adding the suspension section at no cost.

Didn't watch them do it, but assume they just put the suspension system in between the seat and the rails.

I couldn't imagine riding the sucker without some type of seat suspension system, that should really be standard issue.

Good luck, hope it mounts slick and easy.:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
My back got trashed using my rigid 4044M Seat driving it. I just bought a adjustable seat that adjusts from 125-250+ lbs weight. It has a spring and shock in the 150.00 range. Took out the old one and just made a plate to bolt the new one in. In fact used one of the original plated flipped and made a new one for the back by drilling a few holes in the steel. I am so happy I did this it has save my back and the seat belts attach to the seat not the frame so they move with you going up and down. So my seat belt does not jerk on me when I hit bumps now. 100_0391.JPG Guess they have gone up a little but still worth the cost. They come in yellow but I wanted black. The Big Boy seats are for wide people and I mean Wide! I removed one arm rest because it got in the way of using my lift controls using them. Not sure if they make a more narrow arm rests but I can still lean into the one I left but would be better for this little guy to be closer to the seat.https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-I-Products-Big-Boy-Suspension-Tractor-Seat-Black-BBS108BL/401664706193?epid=1803893889&hash=item5d85150691:g:fNwAAOSwKSlcG2N7:rk:12:pf:0

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found out today that John Deere is sure inefficient (or just flat out cheap) when it comes to making parts for their Ztrak Zero Turn mowers.
This all implies to the suspension seat that I'm trying to install on my Z710A. The stand yellow seat on the Z710A measure 1-1/4" less in seat width, and 1-1/2" less in seat depth. The reason I know this, as I went to my neighbor who has a 2018 Z960R Ztrak, and his seat is larger by those measurements I just gave. The slide rail track on his seat is 9-1/2" wide X 11-1/2" in length. My Z710A slide rail track is the same length as is..11-1/2" but it is 8" wide.

The Seat Co. suspension seat assembly I received today is made for the 9-1/2" wide slide rails. Therefore, I' having to design a bracket to mate the suspension to my standard seat. There is always a better way to skin a cat as it has been said.

Why couldn't John Deere just make all the seats the same dimensions, and they wouldn't have to but one seat to sell or inventory?

Man O' man, if I was ffity years younger I would apply as a engineer at John Deere as get things in shape.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Upon receiving the Seats, Inc brand suspension seat for my Z710A, I realized getting it to fit my standard factory seat wasn't going the way I would like. The bolt pattern on my seat is based on 8" wide (the slide rail track) setup, with 11" bolt the length way. The suspension seat bolt pattern has I would guess bolt pattern based on the JD Z900 series models seats, as they are 11" wide X 11-1/2" length. After a couple nights sleep and dreaming how I could apply my engeering talent to all this, I came up with a solution. I made (cut two flat steel bars) 1" wide X 11" in length to bridge the space between the total width of the seat, and drilled holes in each 9-1/2" apart to bolt to the suspension seat and two holes in each for the 8" spacing for the standard seat bolts.

After getting all this doen, my seat assembly increased the total seat height 4-1/4" from the base plate. . or 3-1/4" more in height than the factory setup. All seems to look and fit okay. Will find out when the mower time start how it helps my back pain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts