Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am ignorant when it comes to how hydraulics work. I’ve never became knowledgeable because my x728 with the quick hitch had 4 way movement and I assumed the 1025r would be the same. Now I can understand how the curl feature can affect how straight up the plow would stand if the curl cylinders moved towards the ground. The x728 with the quick hitch was not capable of tilting except if the spring loaded plow was overloaded.

I purchased a CTA 66” Loader mounted snowplow and I got what was called a “needle valve” with it. The plow angle hoses hook up to the curl hydraulic connections on the tractor to allow angling right and left of the plow. The needle valve is hooked up to the curl hydraulic hoses of the tractor and is used if the curl part of the tractor cylinders has allowed the plow to lean forward. Then you just open the valve and I guess the fluid would transfer to the opposite side of the cylinder moving the plow straight up again. Why would the cylinder move? Does fluid leak from one side to the other?

I have not used the plow yet and I have no idea how often this might happen. I do know that Artillian makes a front mounted hydraulics kit that I guess would then leave the curl feature hoses along. What does JD do for the hydraulic plows they make do they plug into the curl connections too?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Fluid can indeed slowly get past the piston seals if pressure is exerted on the cylinders.
I imagine you hook both curl lines to the needle valve and when the blade tilt is correct you close the valve?
Also I know all my truck plows I have owned have a forward tilt in their normal position.
I have watched guys plow with broken and worn out blade frames and when the blade is straight up and down the plow doesn't work half as well.

·
Administrator
17,052 Posts
As Jeff wrote, yes the cylinders can absolutely drift-some do and some don't especially on the smaller tractors. Not having the ability to change the angle of attack on the blade is a real downside to not have a diverter system as that is very useful when plowing on uneven terrain or stacking snow.

What does JD do for the hydraulic plows they make do they plug into the curl connections too?
Their smaller plow is manual angle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kenny if the opening needle valve for my CTA plow setup brings the blade back up from a curled position then if I left it open all the time why would it curl down? The hydraulic lines are not hooked to the system so no additional fluid is added.

·
Administrator
17,052 Posts
I’m not sure I understand your question?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Kenny if the opening needle valve for my CTA plow setup brings the blade back up from a curled position then if I left it open all the time why would it curl down? The hydraulic lines are not hooked to the system so no additional fluid is added.
I will take a shot at it even though I do not have Kenny's expertise with tractor hydraulics.
When you install the needle valve and the valve is open and the curl and dump lines are connected to it you have created a path between each end of the curl cylinders.
This will allow you to change the angle of the plow tilt by forcing the plow blade by hand.
Once you have the blade set to the proper angle of attack you close the needle valve and the plow should for the most part stay at that angle.
However after pushing a lot of heavy snow or hitting curbs or other solid objects the angle of attack may change due to fluid leaking past the curl cylinder piston seals.
Opening the needle valve allows you to once again reset the position.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take a shot at it even though I do not have Kenny's expertise with tractor hydraulics.
When you install the needle valve and the valve is open and the curl and dump lines are connected to it you have created a path between each end of the curl cylinders.
This will allow you to change the angle of the plow tilt by forcing the plow blade by hand.
Once you have the blade set to the proper angle of attack you close the needle valve and the plow should for the most part stay at that angle.
However after pushing a lot of heavy snow or hitting curbs or other solid objects the angle of attack may change due to fluid leaking past the curl cylinder piston seals.
Opening the needle valve allows you to once again reset the position.
That must be why I was told to place a 2x4 under the plow when I open the valve and then close it when the plow comes back into position

Is this how the Artillian diverter kit works? I push a single button and that allows you to use the angle left and right of a plow using the SCV? Then if you DONT push the button the SCV would control the curl and dump cylinders as if I had the bucket on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That must be why I was told to place a 2x4 under the plow when I open the valve and then close it when the plow comes back into position

Is this how the Artillian diverter kit works? I push a single button and that allows you to use the angle left and right of a plow using the SCV? Then if you DONT push the button the SCV would control the curl and dump cylinders as if I had the bucket on?
I have no personal experience with any of this, but I would think with the plow sitting on a 2x4 when you open the valve it should allow the weight of the plow to curl it back to where whoever told you that thinks it should be held.

My understanding is that you are correct about how the Artillian diverter works. It has a push button switch that most guys zip tie to the SCV joystick & the diverter hydraulic lines plumb into the curl control hydraulic lines. The SCV controls both the lift & curl as normal until you push the button & then it momentarily diverts the flow from the curl lines to whatever is added on as long as the button is held down. In your case that would be the angle cylinder you're controlling, but this also holds true for anything else added on like a grapple or 4 way bucket. The lift controls should still work normally even with the button held down. This is just based on my research & I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge can confirm whether or not this is correct.

·
Administrator
17,052 Posts
My understanding is that you are correct about how the Artillian diverter works. It has a push button switch that most guys zip tie to the SCV joystick & the diverter hydraulic lines plumb into the curl control hydraulic lines. The SCV controls both the lift & curl as normal until you push the button & then it momentarily diverts the flow from the curl lines to whatever is added on as long as the button is held down. In your case that would be the angle cylinder you're controlling, but this also holds true for anything else added on like a grapple or 4 way bucket. The lift controls should still work normally even with the button held down. This is just based on my research & I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge can confirm whether or not this is correct.
Yes, this is how the diverter system works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts