Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am currently buying a few attachments, weights, quick hitch all at the same time. Is negotiating a better price when bundling multiple items together reasonable? How firm are the prices you are quoted by dealers, and what experience do you all have in getting a better price? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I can't speak for what your dealer's policy is, but here's how my dealer seems to handle things.

A new machine and any attachments purchased with the machine through the sales department are discountable.
Large attachments (blowers, mowers, box blades, etc., purchased through sales may be discountable.
Smaller attachments, such as Quick Hitches and weights purchased separate from a machine are purchased through the parts department and are generally not discounted unless you have arrangements to purchase parts at a discount.

Where are you located and what kind of a machine do you have? Your machine information can be put in your signature and your location under your avatar. Add Your Location. This helps us help you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't speak for what your dealer's policy is, but here's how my dealer seems to handle things.

A new machine and any attachments purchased with the machine through the sales department are discountable.
Large attachments (blowers, mowers, box blades, etc., purchased through sales may be discountable.
Smaller attachments, such as Quick Hitches and weights purchased separate from a machine are purchased through the parts department and are generally not discounted unless you have arrangements to purchase parts at a discount.

Where are you located and what kind of a machine do you have? Your machine information can be put in your signature and your location under your avatar. Add Your Location. This helps us help you.
I agree with this. Drive Green open houses are coming up soon. Google Deere Drive Green. If your local dealer is hosting one they may be offering discounts. A lot will do 10% Drive Green discount.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

This echos my experience.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
I also agree with OxPath's statement.

Timvolm09, I would ask how much business have you done with your dealership? Discounts IMO are directly related to consumer/dealer relationship, not a one time spending spree.
I seem to get discounts on almost anything, sometimes even without asking for them. I've been doing business with my dealer (same owner) since 1988 and I've purchased a lot of stuff from them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just bought tractor and added a few small things. Oxpath’s statement is consistent with my experience.

Sales handles anything big - straight forward here’s your price with discount pricing.

Small stuff, sales guy talked to parts manager. In the end just asked for and received a couple of items tossed in versus discount. Easier to do it that way and the “free” items equaled around 15% of what I bought in parts. I felt that was fair - never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
On top of what’s stated above it is dealer specific.

Some discount everything and won’t negotiate, some charge over msrp and won’t negotiate. Some negotiate everything, some only negotiate on offseason in stock items. Some only negotiate with customers they like.

I suggest talking to your dealer over looking for better advice here, nobody has a magic bullet, and even at the same dealer different customers get different treatment.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It sucks to pay too much, but it's far worse to pay too little. You just might get what you pay for.
I'm not talking about the actual items that you are buying, I'm referring to your relationship with your dealer.

Do you want to be that guy that when you walk in, everyone is suddenly doing something else to avoid having to interact with you?
Or would you rather ge that guy that they are happy to work with you?

I sell boats and have several customers that simply tell me what they want without even discussing price. And yes, when they want something, we are very responsive to their needs.
One customer put it this way regarding the price for his new pontoon... "I'll leave the cookie jar open, take what you need, and a little more, just don't empty it."
That kind of trust is something only an idiot would abuse.

My point is that there are things that are far more important than a few extra dollars in your pocket.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
I support my local dealers. I try to keep my money as close as possible to my community. Now I don't want to get ripped, nobody does. So if you don't take care of me, we won't do business. I'd like to think I'm a responsible customer. It's a two way street. Treat me right, give me decent prices, and you'll have a loyal customer. :good2:

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
I support my local dealers. I try to keep my money as close as possible to my community. Now I don't want to get ripped, nobody does. So if you don't take care of me, we won't do business. I'd like to think I'm a responsible customer. It's a two way street. Treat me right, give me decent prices, and you'll have a loyal customer. :good2:

...which is why I drive 25 miles instead of 10.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don’t think anyone is questioning the value of a relationship when buying, or saying low price is across the board the best option.

At the same time - just like buying a car, tv or anything- consumers can EASILY see what others report paying or shops are selling a particular item at any given moment. Now keep in mind every dealer has a different cost structure. Commissioned salesperson is paid to sell, but good ones go above in ensuring a quality experience. A 2 person family operation you might avoid the commissioned sales experience - but they may have higher fixed cost.

There is a happy medium for most between price and service. Myself I’d pay more for a product to ensure good post sales support. At the same time, giving a few thousand more because the salesperson was friendlier is just pointless. The product is equal regardless of WHO sells it to me. It’s the service I’m paying for, and longevity matters here, people retire, change jobs or careers daily. Why pay for a single person not knowing where they will be tomorrow? A good dealer is one whose entire staff treats you well. If you walk in and everyone becomes too busy to wait on you - go elsewhere. Could it be your an insufferable person, sure...but good dealers don’t treat you like that.

I knew a former car salesman in a large luxury dealership. Always had stories about people coming in wanting low end luxury cars and arguing they want the best price with print outs from dealers 1500-2000k miles away showing their advertised price. He simply said, here’s my complete price you pay - gave them a printout and guaranteed the price for 30 days. No haggling, no argument - just here is the price. Carried around a 70% close rate on those deals too....the funny part, he NEVER wrote these deals for mins (minimum commission- price point at which the salesperson makes just base commission). If they would have simply approached in a more friendly manner, said “I want to buy from you, I like you-your dealership reputation, yadayada” he wrote those deals at minimum. He knew the person who walked in with a printout was going to be a pain every step of the way...and he’d take their money - at a price. At the same time, the person WHO WANTS to work with you is likely to be much easier. Sales is about numbers - less time handling one customer equals more time prospecting and selling MORE customers. As a salesperson you can only talk to so many people a day/week...then your losing leads eventually. Better to be flexible .than taking the hardline “I want the best deal ever” approach.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don’t think anyone is questioning the value of a relationship when buying, or saying low price is across the board the best option.

At the same time - just like buying a car, tv or anything- consumers can EASILY see what others report paying or shops are selling a particular item at any given moment. Now keep in mind every dealer has a different cost structure. Commissioned salesperson is paid to sell, but good ones go above in ensuring a quality experience. A 2 person family operation you might avoid the commissioned sales experience - but they may have higher fixed cost.

There is a happy medium for most between price and service. Myself I’d pay more for a product to ensure good post sales support. At the same time, giving a few thousand more because the salesperson was friendlier is just pointless. The product is equal regardless of WHO sells it to me. It’s the service I’m paying for, and longevity matters here, people retire, change jobs or careers daily. Why pay for a single person not knowing where they will be tomorrow? A good dealer is one whose entire staff treats you well. If you walk in and everyone becomes too busy to wait on you - go elsewhere. Could it be your an insufferable person, sure...but good dealers don’t treat you like that.

I knew a former car salesman in a large luxury dealership. Always had stories about people coming in wanting low end luxury cars and arguing they want the best price with print outs from dealers 1500-2000k miles away showing their advertised price. He simply said, here’s my complete price you pay - gave them a printout and guaranteed the price for 30 days. No haggling, no argument - just here is the price. Carried around a 70% close rate on those deals too....the funny part, he NEVER wrote these deals for mins (minimum commission- price point at which the salesperson makes just base commission). If they would have simply approached in a more friendly manner, said “I want to buy from you, I like you-your dealership reputation, yadayada” he wrote those deals at minimum. He knew the person who walked in with a printout was going to be a pain every step of the way...and he’d take their money - at a price. At the same time, the person WHO WANTS to work with you is likely to be much easier. Sales is about numbers - less time handling one customer equals more time prospecting and selling MORE customers. As a salesperson you can only talk to so many people a day/week...then your losing leads eventually. Better to be flexible .than taking the hardline “I want the best deal ever” approach.

Now there's a person that understands how it really works.

·
Registered
647 Posts
When I was looking to buy my 1025r, I emailed three local dealers and asked for a quote. I even used a "get a quote" form on two dealer's webpages. Only one dealer got back with me. The two with a quote form, I never heard from at all. :think: The third dealer emailed me back and was very helpful. I bought my tractor from him even though he was the furthest away. 50 miles from me.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Don’t forget BigJim ‘s experience.

His closest dealer said he would be at the back of the warranty/service line if he didn’t buy from them.

Go talk to the dealer (s)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts