Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met my newest neighbor yesterday, well the wife anyways. They are immigrants to our Great Country from India. Some of you will recall I had a small issue with their HUGE party when they first moved in and blocked all the roads, etc. I didn't get a chance to meet them then and I briefly spoke to the husband for about 10 seconds or less.

Yesterday, I got a text message from the new neighbors wife who asked me to plow their driveway and she would pay me when she got home. I replied "Sure, I will take care of it." So i plowed and cleaned out their driveway, which is very tight and has little room for snow piles. So I back drug the snow out to the street and piled it out of the way. Actually, I plowed their driveway a couple of other times by their request by text message and they sent their young son over who handed me the money and that was that.

Late yesterday afternoon, I get a message "RUhom?"............which I figures meant "Are you Home?" ( I HATE the abbreviated messages which are cryptic, but that's just me.)" I replied "yes" and she texted "Need2$u"........Ok........then she sent a message which said "ru48981" so I assumed she was asking my address which I didn't get as I have been here the entire time and she sent her son over 2 times. So I responded with the correct house number and I said "I will be right outside."

She came walking up and we spoke for several minutes. She paid me the money which is interesting as this is the 3rd time and they have paid the same way each time, it's a $10, (3) $5's and (5) $1's to total $30.......that's fine as cash spends.....

I asked her several questions and she answered them. I asked if her parents live with them and she indicated it's her husbands parents but her mother in law went back to India as she doesn't like it here. She and her husband have two son's, ages 12 and 14 and it's the 14 year old who had paid me before. I asked about their business as she said she has a store and she told me she and her husband own a store and I asked where and she told me the general idea. She told me she works from opening at 9am until later in the afternoon and her husband comes in the afternoon and stays until closing. They are open 7 days a week, from 9am to midnight Sunday through Thursday and till 2am on Friday and Saturday nights.

She was very pleasant and I made sure to give her my contact information, my wife's name and her contact information and I told her about each of the other neighbors as she hasn't met any of them yet. She told me her father in law (who doesn't speak any English) is home with her son's and she worries about them being home alone. I told her to feel free to call me anytime if she or anyone in their family needs anything. Also told her that we would do whatever we could to assist them in this new neighborhood (and country....) as she admitted they are dealing with many new things which they didn't use to encounter, like this weather. Also, they had never had a house with a lawn or anything so this was all new to them. I told them I would do what I could to help them.

I had a general idea of the stores location and when I came into the house and looked it up on Google maps, I was right. It is in the BAD part of a neighboring town, about 10 miles away. In fact, as a 6'4" plus legal weapon carrying male, when I had a meeting at the small business next door to their store location a couple of summers ago, a close friend who is a Captain in the Sheriff's department actually had a patrol car hang around the block where i was at the meeting, which only took about 15 minutes, as the area is so rough. When I told him where I was going to the meeting, (to help settle a death claim for an elderly woman who lost her husband, who has lived there for 70 years and the neighborhood changed around her...) he was adamant that I not go there alone.

It's between three public housing complexes which are always the scene of serious crimes. I really hope this new family, my new neighbors, fully understand the danger of where they are working. Their culture is that of Sikh's, who are very passive and don't believe in violence and don't own guns, etc. They are practicing Sikh, so they wear the head wrappings, including the men and their teen age son's. She told me she opens the store in the morning and her husband comes down later and he stays until closing.

I have to be honest, I am genuinely worried about these people and I certainly hope no harm comes to them. Their store is smack in the middle of 90% of the police calls for the town where their store is located. It is on a "Business Loop" so there is a lot of road traffic, but that doesn't help this nice woman, who is very small, by the way. I bet she is 5' tall and weighs maybe 90 pounds......Her husband is typical middle aged male sized.

Not only do we avoid that area at all costs, we don't even drive down that section of the business loop as in the summer, windows get shot out of cars if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. The other businesses around their store are all boarded up. The closest business which is operating is the small funeral home three blocks south. ironically, there is another very small funeral home also 3 blocks North, on the same business loop. So there is not a lot of "business traffic" coming and going from those closest businesses.

I know I will help these new neighbors anyway I can as they work very hard and frankly, they are working in the closest thing to a battle zone in the U.S. They seem very nice and they bought a beautiful home. I looked at their online pictures of their store and they have a LOT of inventory. Its a liquor store and also sells quite a selection of grocery items. She told me she had to go into work this week despite the weather because "people were calling her cell phone because they needed food". She did mention in passing that food stamps are a big share of their business as she was telling me about the state's computer system causing problems and she couldn't process the electronic transactions and people were getting upset.......

All I can say is I have the utmost respect for people who work hard and are self made. I have done it myself and I think it's a great thing about our wonderful country. I hope that no harm ever comes to her or her husband or anyone in their family. But they are taking HUGE risks operating where they are located. She told me "You should come down and see our store". I said I would so and I will, but it's going to be during mid day hours and likely soon, as when the warm weather comes, the entire area changes with people out milling about and hanging around......

(As a side note, the one funeral home near them has been busted twice for holding illegal gambling games in the back room...._)

I am glad I got to meet this new family and learn more about them. Also, I want her to know she can ask for help as she was stuck in the road the other night and she told me she didn't have anyone to call but her husband and he ran home to drive her the 1/2 mile from where she was stuck home and then he had to drive back to the store and reopen. My wife and I could have very easily driven down and picked her up and ran her homes. That was the night of the -22 temps and -55 wind chill and the weather was white outs continuously.

I noticed he comes home at about 2:30am on Friday and Saturday nights, which makes sense with their hours. I sincerely and genuinely wish them well and I hope nothing happens to either of them. On a scale of 1 to 10 for risk and danger, they work in a 10 so I can see why they want to live and have their family in a 1..........

I really wonder if they understand the extent of the danger in that area, they must have some idea. Just think of the one location in your county or state where you wouldn't want to go and certainly not have to work or spend any time there. That's the location of their store.......

In fact, the earlier google maps photo's show the business all boarded up, like the neighboring businesses and then the latest photos are with their store operating. It's not a small store as its probably 8,000 sq feet. It's probably the local grocery store for much of that part of the community as it's several miles to the closest grocery store otherwise.............

I really wish them the very best and hope they stay safe........they seem like they are going to be good neighbors.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Wow, what a scenario. It is great to see people that come to our country and try to better themselves with hard work. While what you are describing as a warzone, and believe me.....we have sections like that here in NJ too, I have to wonder if they went into that location being naive or, is it no worse then where they came from?
While there is a ton of debate on every news channel about immigration and 'the wall" and such (and no, I'm not looking for any sort of political debate on anything related to this topic), we have quite a few people where I work that might be described as 'from over there' And I have to say, they work their tails off. They show up on time, do their best, they are polite and they bust their butts at anything they do.

Thus, I wish your neighbors the safety we all come to expect in this great country and hope they achieve their 'American Dream"

We really do live in the best darned country in the whole wide world. :usa:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tough situation. Maybe once you get to know them a little better you would be able to discuss your concerns with them?

==Grizzler

·
Registered
616 Posts
I live about 25 miles south of Macon Ga. Macon is pretty much thug central in these parts. Indian store owners are being robbed and killed all the time. It doesn't seem to deter them from running stores in those kinds of areas.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, what a scenario. It is great to see people that come to our country and try to better themselves with hard work. While what you are describing as a warzone, and believe me.....we have sections like that here in NJ too, I have to wonder if they went into that location being naive or, is it no worse then where they came from?
While there is a ton of debate on every news channel about immigration and 'the wall" and such (and no, I'm not looking for any sort of political debate on anything related to this topic), we have quite a few people where I work that might be described as 'from over there' And I have to say, they work their tails off. They show up on time, do their best, they are polite and they bust their butts at anything they do.

Thus, I wish your neighbors the safety we all come to expect in this great country and hope they achieve their 'American Dream"

We really do live in the best darned country in the whole wide world. :usa:
My neighbors to my east are also from India and in fact, I helped the husband become an American citizen two summers ago. They have lived next to us now probably 5 or 6 years and are very nice people. The difference in the cultures is really interesting. Despite the wife next door who is named Siri (like the Apple Phone Lady..) trying her best to get me to try various Indian food, I simply don't care for the spicing of the food. But that doesn't stop her parents from sending us these very expensive imported cookies with almonds and other things. The problem is, the Indian cuisine has two or three spices which are common to virtually everything they make and I simply don't like the smell or taste of at least two of the spices.

The family next door is very nice and have been great neighbors. I bought the 10 year old on a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun with the parents permission to teach the son how to shoot. The dad told me in India, guns are very rare and even air rifles are heavily regulated. My reasoning for wanting to teach the son was primarily so he would know how to safely handle any firearms and also to teach him the proper methods of handling a firearm and what to do and what not to do.

Turns out I taught both the father and son at the same time how to shoot and how to handle the BB gun rifle and also a cO2 pistol. I keep the firearms at my house as they also have a 2.5 year old and I want to make sure he can't get a hold of the guns, etc. I wanted the 10 year old to know what to do and what not to do should he ever be at a friends house a nd they find a firearm of the parents or a similar situation. With specific training how to handle the guns and how not to handle them, hopefully this would be enough for the son to discourage others from handling weapons or anything which could get them hurt.

It's funny because the two families that are both from India, but different parts of India. In fact, the grandfather of the newest family, who lives with his son and daughter in law and two grandson's, saw Siri out in the street getting the mail one day in the summer and I noticed she was unable to communicate with the older man from across the street. She explained to me that there are 12 or 13 (I can't recall the total she told me) distinct language in India and they and not merely dialects of the same language. She was trying to explain to me an example of the language issue in America and she wasn't able to as she described the different languages in India as almost being "state specific" and not a lot of overlap where the languages share commonality, so she was unable to understand this man and he was unable to understand her, despite both having come from the same country.

I have found with Indian American's that many of them prefer to socialize with other Indians. But my longer term Indian neighbors actually were warning me about the new neighbors and whatever social group they are associated with and they said that the group to which the new neighbors belong tend to be very "cheap" (their words, not mine) and they also said if you have any business dealing with the new neighbors, make sure to get your money up front. They also told me that it's part of their culture to negotiate everything so if they (the new neighbors) ask me to do something for them, to make sure I get paid and to expect them to want to negotiate.

So far, I haven't seen any sign of that but I am sure they would know better than I would. When they contacted me about plowing, they asked how much and I told them and that was it. But I also know they talked to other neighbors and the others probably told them "Sulley is a nice guy, but one time one of the neighbors wouldn't pay for plowing and he piled a massive pile at the end of the neighbors driveway and the neighbor couldn't get out until he paid what he owed." That's actually a true story as I believe in being a person of your word. Say you will do something, better do it. The guy who tired to stiff me was a doctor who was renting a house and I taught him the tail doesn't wag the dog...........and obviously the lesson had impact as others still talk about it and it's been a number of years. The doctor really ticked me off as he was running around on his wife and just a real low life and when he thumbed his nose at me, it was the principal of the matter that I thought he needed to be taught what happens when you mess with people.

Tough situation. Maybe once you get to know them a little better you would be able to discuss your concerns with them?

==Grizzler
Over time, I will ask them about their store and customers and see what they have to say. Interestingly, the other Indian neighbors, I explained to them which area's to be careful in and which area's to avoid when they moved here from Baltimore. They seemed more aware of "rough areas" as they even told me a story about getting lost in Baltimore and ending up in a very scary area.

I live about 25 miles south of Macon Ga. Macon is pretty much thug central in these parts. Indian store owners are being robbed and killed all the time. It doesn't seem to deter them from running stores in those kinds of areas.
It must be a lucrative business as most of the party stores and now gas stations are owned by Indian Americans in our area. They are also acquiring many of the hotels. Several new multi million dollar hotels have been constructed, in fact a total of 5 and they are all on the same block. I have been told one family owns three of them and these are new Marriot franchises and Hilton Franchises.

I did read a really interesting story recently about how 7/11 had been for decades, the number one franchise for Indian Americans looking to start businesses in the U.S. But 7/11 has squeezed the store owners and even have begun controlling all of their banking and other electronic practices including inventory from the "hone office" which I think is in Texas.

Here is just one story about the issues and the lawsuits. Last I read, I think the franchise owners had founded something like 44 different "Franchise Owners Associations" trying to wield their power against the corporate office. It sounds like 7/11 has crossed the line and it is actually treating the store owners like company stores and not business franchises. If something doesn't change, it very well could be the end for 7/11 over time.

7-Eleven, National Franchisee Group Trade Lawsuits

7-Eleven sued by franchisees | Franchise Law

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Sulley How could you not like tandoori chicken, and chicken curry? Maybe those are ones you haven’t tried.
Have her make you some naan. I’m sure you would like that...it is a type of flat bread that is quite tasty fresh out of the oven with herb butter.

·
Registered
500 Posts
butter chicken

Sulley How could you not like tandoori chicken, and chicken curry? Maybe those are ones you haven’t tried.
Have her make you some naan. I’m sure you would like that...it is a type of flat bread that is quite tasty fresh out of the oven with herb butter.
My fave is Butter Chicken. And curry, the hotter the better.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
You're a pretty good guy, Sully! :good2: After the "party parking incident" earlier in the year, a lot of guys would have just written them off and told them to pound sand when they asked you to plow their driveway. Doesn't surprise me to know that you gave them the benefit of the doubt and now you're helping them out and are genuinely concerned for their safety.

Kind of funny that some of the Indians are warning you about "those Indians"! :laugh: But the caste system is still alive and well in their culture - even when they come to the US of A to live. I did a project a couple of years ago and the client hired an Indian firm to "help" :banghead: me out. The two guys on the project were from different parts of India and you could tell which one was higher in the social system. I found it interesting that they spoke English when talking with each other. I asked them one day if they did that for my benefit and they told me that they each have different native languages at home and English is their common language. So even if they were in India, they would speak to each other in English. We have that to some degree in this country as well, but I am still able to use my "hillbilly English" when dealing with someone that speaks "New Jersey English". :laugh:

When I was in college I worked for a local "garden center". We had a lot of Indians moving into that area and I think most of them were from the "argue about the price" part of India that your neighbors warned about. I remember one time this guy came into the store and wanted to return a quart bottle of some sort of fertilizer. The bottle was half gone and crap was spilled all down the side. He said that he bought the wrong stuff and he wanted his money back. I pointed out the condition of the bottle and explained that he wasn't getting his money back when it was half gone. He told me that was how the bottle was when he bought it and he hadn't used any of it. I told him that if he could find another half-empty bottle with crap all over it on the shelf I'd give him his money back - otherwise get the heck out of the store! :nunu: :laugh:

I had another one that brought his mower in to the shop (we also sold and serviced lawn mowers) in late fall. It was something pretty serious (bent crank from hitting something?) but he thought that it should be covered under the warranty from where I'd changed the oil and sharpened the blade back in the Spring. :laugh: Told him that wasn't gonna happen! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sully-I wish you and your new neighbors the best of luck. I know the Store and the neighborhood you’re speaking of, it is quite dicey, I avoid working anywhere near it if I can.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Reading Sully's post I was thinking, this sounds like Dekalb County, Macon, Augusta, Savannah or Albany.......

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sully-I wish you and your new neighbors the best of luck. I know the Store and the neighborhood you’re speaking of, it is quite dicey, I avoid working anywhere near it if I can.
Many years ago...(many, many......:laugh::lol:) I worked for the guy who owned the local Hertz Rent a car franchise. I was following another guy to drop off some cars at the airport, when it still had commercial service, and in the stretch of the business loop northbound, right at their intersection, someone shot the windows out of the side of the car the guy I was following was driving. It's was in the middle of the day, typical work day (well, work day for those who actually work......)

When my parents first moved to this area in the very early 1960's, they rented a house which was three doors down from the High School in that community. Back then, it was a very vibrant area and no one gave it a thought. Now, the last time I was in that part of town was for a funeral at a church in the next block north of the High School and its truly sad how destroyed that area has gotten over time. There were several areas which had the beautiful large homes which were really something in their day. Now, they are cut into 12 apartments and complete dumps. And as long as the political powers to be keep being reelected, nothing is going to change.

For decades, my doctors office was directly across the street from where the old hospital was. Last I heard, they were tearing the old hospital down as it once again went into foreclosure to a bank from Florida. I don't go to those areas anymore, at all................haven't in years and drive 5 miles out of my way to go around them.........................

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Many years ago...(many, many......:laugh::lol:) I worked for the guy who owned the local Hertz Rent a car franchise. I was following another guy to drop off some cars at the airport, when it still had commercial service, and in the stretch of the business loop northbound, right at their intersection, someone shot the windows out of the side of the car the guy I was following was driving. It's was in the middle of the day, typical work day (well, work day for those who actually work......)

When my parents first moved to this area in the very early 1960's, they rented a house which was three doors down from the High School in that community. Back then, it was a very vibrant area and no one gave it a thought. Now, the last time I was in that part of town was for a funeral at a church in the next block north of the High School and its truly sad how destroyed that area has gotten over time. There were several areas which had the beautiful large homes which were really something in their day. Now, they are cut into 12 apartments and complete dumps. And as long as the political powers to be keep being reelected, nothing is going to change.

For decades, my doctors office was directly across the street from where the old hospital was. Last I heard, they were tearing the old hospital down as it once again went into foreclosure to a bank from Florida. I don't go to those areas anymore, at all................haven't in years and drive 5 miles out of my way to go around them.........................
I’ve worked in and around the area since just before the riots of ‘03, believe it or not there has been some marginal improvement to the area as a whole as Gov Jenny started to pour money into it and the newish “arts district” has developed some. Main Street in town is mostly safe to walk down during the day, and driving is less of an issue than it was in the past... Then again I’m from and grew up in Detoilet so these types of neighborhoods, attitudes and the self awareness and defensive mindset needed to survive are familiar to me but not everyone who may be passing thru...

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're a pretty good guy, Sully! :good2: After the "party parking incident" earlier in the year, a lot of guys would have just written them off and told them to pound sand when they asked you to plow their driveway. Doesn't surprise me to know that you gave them the benefit of the doubt and now you're helping them out and are genuinely concerned for their safety.

Kind of funny that some of the Indians are warning you about "those Indians"! :laugh: But the caste system is still alive and well in their culture - even when they come to the US of A to live. I did a project a couple of years ago and the client hired an Indian firm to "help" :banghead: me out. The two guys on the project were from different parts of India and you could tell which one was higher in the social system. I found it interesting that they spoke English when talking with each other. I asked them one day if they did that for my benefit and they told me that they each have different native languages at home and English is their common language. So even if they were in India, they would speak to each other in English. We have that to some degree in this country as well, but I am still able to use my "hillbilly English" when dealing with someone that speaks "New Jersey English". :laugh:

When I was in college I worked for a local "garden center". We had a lot of Indians moving into that area and I think most of them were from the "argue about the price" part of India that your neighbors warned about. I remember one time this guy came into the store and wanted to return a quart bottle of some sort of fertilizer. The bottle was half gone and crap was spilled all down the side. He said that he bought the wrong stuff and he wanted his money back. I pointed out the condition of the bottle and explained that he wasn't getting his money back when it was half gone. He told me that was how the bottle was when he bought it and he hadn't used any of it. I told him that if he could find another half-empty bottle with crap all over it on the shelf I'd give him his money back - otherwise get the heck out of the store! :nunu: :laugh:

I had another one that brought his mower in to the shop (we also sold and serviced lawn mowers) in late fall. It was something pretty serious (bent crank from hitting something?) but he thought that it should be covered under the warranty from where I'd changed the oil and sharpened the blade back in the Spring. :laugh: Told him that wasn't gonna happen! :laugh:
My next door neighbor, the father of my little buddy, first came to the U.S.A. and went to college in Cincinnati. I think he got a degree in electrical engineering and then went on to get his MBA, just not sure if it was in your area. He told me when he first arrived and went to a Kroger store (I think he said it was Kroger, a large national grocery store for sure) he said he was shocked at all the choices and inventory. He said it was "over whelming".....

Now, he just went to work for WalGreen's Corporate doing something with Diabetes and Blood Pressure med marketing. He almost took a job for Tyson's and I found it amazing as he is a Vegetarian and would be marketing meat......:dunno: His wife didn't want to move so that killed that job choice.

His wife and most of their family are all employed in some type of IT positions. Handy when I need a hand with computer stuff....:good2:

When I asked the new neighbor woman who I met the other day if she had met any other neighbors, she replied "Oh, I would never just go knock on someone's door I didn't know." I asked her, "Well, then how are you going to meet them"? and she looked at me like ":dunno:".

She did briefly meet Mrs. Bear yesterday when we were walking our K9 kids which is good. In India, many are raised to be terrified of dogs and stay away from them because of the number of strays and rabies, etc. As I stood there holding the leash on the real Sulley Bear, this new neighbor clearly was intimidated by German Shepherds........so my wife approached her so she didn't have to come towards us. Our other neighbors told us how "rare" it is for 1st generation Indian American's to have dogs as pets, especially large dogs.

The new neighbor did tell me she had seen coyotes and she asked me if her 2 year old niece was in danger being outside. I told her to definitely keep an eye on her and not let her wander near the tall grass and woods, especially unaccompanied. I don't want to scare her, but I want to make sure she understands the risk, especially when coyote's are in packs...............which is quite rare around here, I have seen solitary coyotes hundreds of time for the number of 2 or more coyote's I have seen.

She said someone told her that deer will attack people. I told her to just give the wildlife their space and everyone should be fine. But you should have seen the look on her face when I told her about the 8 foot rat snake in the tree last summer. She may never go outside again.......:laugh::lol::lol::lolol:plus she kept saying Rat tle snake. I explained the difference between Rat snake and Rattle snakes, but the sheer image of large snakes in trees really creeped her out.............

·
Registered
536 Posts
If they ran stores in India they are accustomed to thefts and violence. Spent time there and there is a very low value placed on a persons life, especially small shop owner and employees.

I wish them well.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If they ran stores in India they are accustomed to thefts and violence. Spent time there and there is a very low value placed on a persons life, especially small shop owner and employees.

I wish them well.
My next door neighbor told me last week that her sister's mother in law (neighbors sister's husband's mother) was found murdered in India about 3 weeks ago. Turns out he was killed by a "family driver" who had worked for the same family for 12 years. Motive was robbery and he killed her for the equivalent of $113.

His alibi didn't wash and apparently, police can hold you in custody over there as long as they need to convince you to share your thoughts and blood with them. From what my neighbor said, the police don't hesitate to "persuade one to talk" and they will spend as much time as one needs.

When they searched his home, they found her jewelry in his house along with other possessions. Also, her cell phone was on the entire time and they tracked it's location. He picked her up in the morning to run to the bank and store and when she didn't come home that night, they started looking for her. Apparently, her husband has had a stroke and is home bound and was looking for her to come home all day. He called police and they found her body under trash in an alley by a business within 2 blocks of their home. Apparently, the driver had driven her out into the country and robbed and killed her and then dumped her near the home to make it look like she was mugged near her house.

Having drivers is something which many women and families do in India. In fact, my neighbors parents live in a North Chicago suburb and they have a driver for both him and her. I don't know if it's a status thing or what the reasoning. I was told that the drivers usually drive for several families at the same time.

The crime statistics make little sense when you compare them between India and the U.S.. On paper the crime in India appears to happen less often per 1,000 people, etc. until you get to homicide and then the numbers are dramatically different. But, the homicide numbers are total in the country at 40,752 in India where they are 12,995 in the U.S., but the murders per 10,000 residents are 2.8 in India and 4.7 in the USA.

The other issue is corruption is rampant in India. I read a interesting report where nearly 60% of all drivers in India were either directly involved in a bribe of a law enforcement or even a law enforcement officer in India demanded a bribe. In the U.S., it was nearly unheard of registered a tiny fraction of one percent of all traffic stops in the U.S.

·
Registered
610 Posts
We’ve been getting quite a few foreigners in our area as well, refugees from California looking for a better life.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
We’ve been getting quite a few foreigners in our area as well, refugees from California looking for a better life.
Let's just hope those "foreigners" don't turn the Great State of Texas into the cesspool that California has become. That seems to be what has happened/is happening with Oregon, Washington and Colorado.

I was born on an Army base in San Antonio. Dad got transferred when I was five, so we moved to Germany and ended up in Ohio. I've only been back to Texas a handful of times since we left, but I still consider myself a Texan! :good2: Native Texans are a proud group of people! I think there are only a handful of states where people proudly display the state flag along with or instead of the US flag. In Ohio you'll see tons of "Ohio State University" flags being flown, but I could probably count on one hand the number of residences or businesses that display the state flag (actually, Ohio's flag is a banner :banghead:). I also remember about 15 years ago when my daughter was on an academic team that made the national finals. Whenever one of the Texas teams won an award, the team ran up to the stage waving a Texas flag. And if one of the Texas teams didn't have a flag, one of the other Texas teams loaned them theirs! :good2:

God Bless Texas! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Let's just hope those "foreigners" don't turn the Great State of Texas into the cesspool that California has become. That seems to be what has happened/is happening with Oregon, Washington and Colorado. ....
No kidding. My neighbor on my north side is a refugee and they have the Left coast attitude. Almost every fall when deer season opens some newbie complains to police/sheriff about hearing gunshots. They complain to the city council, write letters to the newspaper, etc. Hunting is legal in the city limits on at least 10 acres :good2: :thumbup1gif:

Sorry for the diversion Sully, now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts