Green Tractor Talk banner

561 - 580 of 623 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I love my Roku units!

Presently using a Premier Plus - having a WiFi remote is so nice - you don’t have to point it at anything to work.

The last TV I bought was a “Smart TV” only because it’s about impossible to buy one without that feature. Tried it once - oh man it was so slow and sluggish compared to my Roku - would never be able to tolerate that.

My next TV may very well be a TCL 6 series with built in Roku.
Thanks for the Info on WiFi remote. I was actually looking that up last night before I posted. I need 2. One with WiFi and one without.

Unless you are an electronic snob like me save the money and get the 4 series tcl. Way better bang for your bucks. If you don’t have the latest 4K Dolby vision hdr blah blah blah you won’t know the difference in the 4 and 6 series except for in your wallet.
I have 2- 55” 4 series , 1- 65” 4 series, and 1-75” 6 series. If you have any questions whatsoever I can try and help. Pm me or we can start another thread. All the tcls are on sale at Bestbuy right now and they deliver.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
Thanks for the Info on WiFi remote. I was actually looking that up last night before I posted. I need 2. One with WiFi and one without.

Unless you are an electronic snob like me save the money and get the 4 series tcl. Way better bang for your bucks. If you don’t have the latest 4K Dolby vision hdr blah blah blah you won’t know the difference in the 4 and 6 series except for in your wallet.
I have 2- 55” 4 series , 1- 65” 4 series, and 1-75” 6 series. If you have any questions whatsoever I can try and help. Pm me or we can start another thread. All the tcls are on sale at Bestbuy right now and they deliver.
Thanks for that.

I’ve been watching reviews in the TCL for some time now. The 6 series is touted as the “best bang for the buck”.

The 55” 6 series is down to $530 now plus a 15% rebate which nets it to $450.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55R617-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079N9HDNQ?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/l/17985366011?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=4895b506726311e9b288aec59e3f4e020INT&offerId=pcb-4ZPY8U2GRG

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Thanks for that.

I’ve been watching reviews in the TCL for some time now. The 6 series is touted as the “best bang for the buck”.

The 55” 6 series is down to $530 now plus a 15% rebate which nets it to $450.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55R617-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079N9HDNQ?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/l/17985366011?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=4895b506726311e9b288aec59e3f4e020INT&offerId=pcb-4ZPY8U2GRG

Best bangs for the bucks is yes and no. Go do a search and read up on 4 series vs 6 series. The 6 series is clearly the best bang for the bucks in its class. The 6 is up there with the Samsung Q6-7 series and the sony 850-900 series which or easily $1000 more. Then If you compare the 4 to the 6 then the 4 is the best bang for the bucks. I love my 6 series. So by all means you won’t be disappointed in the 6 series. I know you watch a lot of tv. I just didn’t think you had all the newest hdmis, 4k Netflix subscriptions, and all that to actually utilize the extra functions the 6 series brings. All devices hooked to the 6 series including hdmi cables, and everything you stream needs to have the capabilities for hdr10, Dolby vision, etc.
without all that the 6 series is a 4 series with a few extras.
For $350 you can get 55” and Bestbuy has a 65” for $500 right now.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
Best bangs for the bucks is yes and no. Go do a search and read up on 4 series vs 6 series. The 6 series is clearly the best bang for the bucks in its class. The 6 is up there with the Samsung Q6-7 series and the sony 850-900 series which or easily $1000 more. Then If you compare the 4 to the 6 then the 4 is the best bang for the bucks. I love my 6 series. So by all means you won’t be disappointed in the 6 series. I know you watch a lot of tv. I just didn’t think you had all the newest hdmis, 4k Netflix subscriptions, and all that to actually utilize the extra functions the 6 series brings. All devices hooked to the 6 series including hdmi cables, and everything you stream needs to have the capabilities for hdr10, Dolby vision, etc.
without all that the 6 series is a 4 series with a few extras.
For $350 you can get 55” and Bestbuy has a 65” for $500 right now.
You are exactly correct in all accounts. You have nicely grounded my thoughts to what I can actual use. No 4K subscriptions or any HDMI gear except my Roku.

My Samsung 50” 1080p works great. It’s just that I don’t know what I am missing with 4K but get curious. That would be my only reason for an upgrade - and to go from 50” to 55”. I can’t really fit a 65” in our sitting room - me thinks it would be just too much for a 12x14 room. We sit 9’ from the screen.

Also what gives me pause is replacing something that still works fine but would for the technology. The only thing is I still have the last 2 TV’s I upgraded from just sitting here - no place to sell them or even give away. Mrs. C’s only comment would be that fact - now we will have 3 TV’s sitting here and doing nothing.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You are exactly correct in all accounts. You have nicely grounded my thoughts to what I can actual use. No 4K subscriptions or any HDMI gear except my Roku.

My Samsung 50” 1080p works great. It’s just that I don’t know what I am missing with 4K but get curious. That would be my only reason for an upgrade - and to go from 50” to 55”. I can’t really fit a 65” in our sitting room - me thinks it would be just too much for a 12x14 room. We sit 9’ from the screen.

Also what gives me pause is replacing something that still works fine but would for the technology. The only thing is I still have the last 2 TV’s I upgraded from just sitting here - no place to sell them or even give away. Mrs. C’s only comment would be that fact - now we will have 3 TV’s sitting here and doing nothing.
There is another thread on here about 4K and screen sizes from a short while back...

I never thought I had any use for 4K, until my main 1080 set died and I bought 4K. The picture is phenomenal, even with lower resolution content. I have a 75" in a room where I sit 12', a 65" in a room where I sit about 10', and my parents have a 55" in a room where they sit about 8'-9'. This is EXACTLY what 4K actually does for you...

Moving from SD to HD (480 to 1080) was a gigantic overall improvement in picture quality. The move from HD to UDH (1080 to 2160, also known as 2K to 4K) does NOT improve the picture quality to the same extent. What it DOES do, however, is allow you to sit closer or leverage a larger screen size at the same distance with no perceptible loss in quality.

I have a HD Sony that I can not justify getting rid of because it's a very nice picture on a 52" panel. But it gets almost no use because I'm always watching one of the 4K sets somewhere.

ABC and FOX broadcast at 720, so you're already not getting the full 1080 capability of your set by watching either of those two networks. Yet, they still look really nice. Similar things would be set about upscaling NBC or CBS (which DO broadcast at 1080) to a 4K panel.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #566
There is another thread on here about 4K and screen sizes from a short while back...

I never thought I had any use for 4K, until my main 1080 set died and I bought 4K. The picture is phenomenal, even with lower resolution content. I have a 75" in a room where I sit 12', a 65" in a room where I sit about 10', and my parents have a 55" in a room where they sit about 8'-9'. This is EXACTLY what 4K actually does for you...

Moving from SD to HD (480 to 1080) was a gigantic overall improvement in picture quality. The move from HD to UDH (1080 to 2160, also known as 2K to 4K) does NOT improve the picture quality to the same extent. What it DOES do, however, is allow you to sit closer or leverage a larger screen size at the same distance with no perceptible loss in quality.

I have a HD Sony that I can not justify getting rid of because it's a very nice picture on a 52" panel. But it gets almost no use because I'm always watching one of the 4K sets somewhere.

ABC and FOX broadcast at 720, so you're already not getting the full 1080 capability of your set by watching either of those two networks. Yet, they still look really nice. Similar things would be set about upscaling NBC or CBS (which DO broadcast at 1080) to a 4K panel.
Good info. 90% of what we watch is Netflix (HD 1080) and Hulu (???).

I would just go for a 65" but it would take quite a bit of work to put it where it needs to go. It is on an articulating wall mount in a corner - the mount just won't reach out far enough for the larger panel. I have a couple ideas in my head to overcome that but then we would be sitting more like 7' away. That just seems like it wouldn't work - you wouldn't be able to see the entire screen without moving you eyes back and forth.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Good info. 90% of what we watch is Netflix (HD 1080) and Hulu (???).

I would just go for a 65" but it would take quite a bit of work to put it where it needs to go. It is on an articulating wall mount in a corner - the mount just won't reach out far enough for the larger panel. I have a couple ideas in my head to overcome that but then we would be sitting more like 7' away. That just seems like it wouldn't work - you wouldn't be able to see the entire screen without moving you eyes back and forth.
I had the top level Netflix package until they jacked the prices. I dropped my tier down to the 1080 plan and it looks every bit as good on my sets.

My viewing distance to the 65" is probably closer to 8' than 10'... It's a Sony with FALD and and excellent upscaling engine. The upscaling is the key if you're watching lower res programming of any sort. Drive the set with native resolutions ONLY and let the set to all the work. It will result in the best overall picture quality almost all of the time.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
I know this should have been in its own thread - sorry for the major hijack.

I ordered the TCL 4 series this morning - will be picking up today. Got it down to $296 before tax after ebates and CC cash points. Couldn’t pass up the deal.

I stuck with the 55” - current Samsung is 49”. It would be a logistical nightmare to put a 65” in this room - it’s all windows and doors. This new one will mount right up on my current articulating mount.

Now just have to pawn off a 42” and 49” TV on someone. When I told Mrs. C that I couldn’t stand it and ordered the new TV this morning her only comment as I suggested earlier was “so now we have 3 extra TV’s?”.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
Netflix - what’s new and what’s going away June 2019

———————-

Available 6/1/19

Arthdal Chronicles — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Oh, Ramona! — NETFLIX FILM
50/50
I. Artificial Intelligence
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Batman Begins
Cabaret
Carrie
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Dynasty: Season 2
Good Night, and Good Luck
Gran Torino
Life in the Doghouse
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Magic Mike
Network
Platoon
Prosecuting Evil: The Extraordinary World Of Ben Ferencz
Satan & Adam
Small Soldiers
The Dark Knight
The Phantom of the Opera
The Space Between Us
What a Girl Wants

Available 6/3/19

Documentary Now!: Season 3
Malibu Rescue: The Series — NETFLIX FAMILY

Available 6/4/19

Miranda Sings Live…Your Welcome — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available 6/5/19

A Silent Voice
Black Mirror: Season 5 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch

Available 6/6/19

Alles ist gut — NETFLIX FILM
Todos lo saben

Available 6/7/19

3%: Season 3 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Belmonte
The Black Godfather — NETFLIX FILM
The Chef Show — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Designated Survivor: Season 3 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Elisa & Marcela — NETFLIX FILM
I Am Mother — NETFLIX FILM
Pachamama — NETFLIX FAMILY
Rock My Heart — NETFLIX FILM
Super Monsters Monster Pets — NETFLIX FAMILY
Tales of the City — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available 6/8/19

Berlin, I Love You

Available 6/11/19

Disney’s Ralph Breaks the Internet

Available 6/12/19

Jo Koy: Comin’ In Hot — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese — NETFLIX FILM

Available 6/13/19

The 3rd Eye 2 — NETFLIX FILM
Jinn — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Kakegurui xx — NETFLIX ANIME

Available 6/14/19

Aggretsuko: Season 2 — NETFLIX ANIME
The Alcàsser Murders — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Awake: The Million Dollar Game — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Charité at War — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Cinderella Pop — NETFLIX FILM
Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce: Season 5
Leila — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Life Overtakes Me — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Marlon: Season 2
Murder Mystery — NETFLIX FILM
Unité 42 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available 6/15/19

Grey’s Anatomy: Season 15

Available 6/16/19

Cop Car

Available 6/17/19

The Missing: Season 3 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available 6/18/19

Adam Devine: Best Time of Our Lives — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Big Kill

Available 6/19/19

Beats — NETFLIX FILM
The Edge of Democracy — NETFLIX FILM

Available 6/20/19

Le Chant du Loup — NETFLIX FILM

Available 6/21/19

Ad Vitam — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Bolívar — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Casketeers: Season 2 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Confession Tapes: Season 2 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Dark: Season 2 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The End of Evangelion
EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)²
Girls Incarcerated: Season 2 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
GO! Live Your Way: Season 2 — NETFLIX FAMILY
Jaoon Kahan Bata Ae Dil — NETFLIX FILM
La misma sangre — NETFLIX FILM
Iglesias — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Shooter: Season 3

Available 6/24/19

Forest of Piano: Season 2 — NETFLIX ANIME

Available 6/25/19

Mike Epps: Only One Mike — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available 6/26/19

The Golem
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The Zookeeper

Available 6/27/19

Answer for Heaven — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available 6/28/19

20th Century Women
7SEEDS — NETFLIX ANIME
Dope: Season 3 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Exhibit A — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Instant Hotel: Season 2 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Motown Magic: Season 2 — NETFLIX FAMILY
Paquita Salas: Season 3 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Chosen One — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available 6/29/19

Scare Tactics: Seasons 4 & 5

Available 6/30/19

Madam Secretary: Season 5
LAST CALL

Leaving 6/1/19

An Extremely Goofy Movie
Apollo 13
Cold in July
Disney’s 101 Dalmatians
Disney’s The Fox and the Hound 2
Disney’s The Jungle Book: Mowgli’s Story
Doom
Freddy vs. Jason
Friday the 13th
Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves
I Am Legend
In the Army Now
Inspector Gadget 2
Jason X
Kill Bill: Vol. 1
Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Legally Blonde
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde
My Bloody Valentine
Playing It Cool
Pretty in Pink
Reindeer Games
Stargate
Terminator Salvation
The Bone Collector
The Constant Gardener

Leaving 6/4/19

District 9

Leaving 6/5/19

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Leaving 6/6/19

The Soloist

Leaving 6/14/19

Grand Designs: Australia: Season 4
I Own Australia’s Best Home: Season 1
I Own Britain’s Best Home: Season 1
Mother

Leaving 6/15/19

Apocalypse Now
Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things
National Lampoon’s Van Wilder
The Pianist

Leaving 6/16/19

Death Race

Leaving 6/24/19

Disney’s Mulan 2

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I hate to say it,, but,, Netflix has been B A D lately,,

We have been bingeing only on Amazon ,

Sneaky Pete,, (Good to Great)

Tin Star (Good) (great actors, Great scenery,,sometimes a weak story line [why didn't she shoot him!!] etc,,, )

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Gran Torino :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I hate to say it,, but,, Netflix has been B A D lately,,

We have been bingeing only on Amazon ,

Sneaky Pete,, (Good to Great)

Tin Star (Good) (great actors, Great scenery,,sometimes a weak story line [why didn't she shoot him!!] etc,,, )
Netflix may well be in trouble.

Disney has announced their new streaming service which will be going live in less than six months. The price is superior to Netflix by a long shot, that is the ONLY place you will be able to stream any Disney content and much of their subordinate content as well, and it has the financial backing of a MAJOR company. Netflix just keeps running themselves further and further into debt in an attempt to create content that will differentiate themselves. Sadly, they've succeeded here because their unique content is generally horrible - especially the movies. SOME of the episodic shows are reasonable, but many are very blah.

Combine all of that with price hikes, generally horrible HDR quality, and user interface changes that make the app LESS intuitive and easy to use, and they're making themselves completely into an "also-ran" instead of the leader they once were.

I've already dropped my service down one tier when the price hike went through and I'm about ready to tank it all together.

I recently read this perspective about Disney as it pertains to something ENTIRELY different, but I feel that it applies here and is worth thinking about: Amazon, Netflix, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, etc. are all streaming companies (delivery companies) that are working to develop entertainment/media content. Disney is an entertainment/media company that is creating a streaming service.

I -WILL- be signing up for the Disney+ service as well as likely keeping my Hulu service (60% owned by Disney as of right now). What is extremely doubtful is that I will keep my Netflix service. Amazon sticks around purely because of being a Prime member, but I pretty much never watch anything there.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
'Designated Survivor' was originally on FOX for the first two years before moving to Netflix. We enjoyed it; but I'm not resigning up for Netflix just for one TV show.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #577
'Designated Survivor' was originally on FOX for the first two years before moving to Netflix. We enjoyed it; but I'm not resigning up for Netflix just for one TV show.
I am curious what Netflix has done with Designated Survivor - enjoyed that show. They did very well with taking over Longmire so we shall see....

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Given that Fox is now owned by Disney, that show could get pulled from Netflix if it was only licensed and not sold. Additionally, depending on the teens if the sale if it was sold, there may be a way that Disney could take it back.

The near to mid term for streaming seems as though it's going to be all about the actual content and no longer about features and functions. We're likely going to see some streaming services disappear.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu commercial free, and CBS All Access commercial free.

We just got done watching the TV shows we like from the 2018/2019 season - have lots of other stuff on my list to watch over the rest of the summer.

I reviewed this list of what is renewed and what is cancelled for the 2019/202 season along with new shows.

Fall TV 2019: Every Broadcast Show Canceled, Renewed and Ordered So Far (Updating)

I am not impressed with most of it. There are a couple new FOX shows that I may try which I can get with Hulu.

I ended up cancelling my CBS subscription. I will miss 2 shows - Bull and Seal Team - but am not going to continue paying $10 a month for just 2 shows.

It seems these networks cater a lot to the younger crowd I guess. To me a lot of really stupid shows get renewed each year. Thankfully Netflix and Hulu and a pretty big library of older shows that we do like.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu commercial free, and CBS All Access commercial free.

We just got done watching the TV shows we like from the 2018/2019 season - have lots of other stuff on my list to watch over the rest of the summer.

I reviewed this list of what is renewed and what is cancelled for the 2019/202 season along with new shows.

Fall TV 2019: Every Broadcast Show Canceled, Renewed and Ordered So Far (Updating)

I am not impressed with most of it. There are a couple new FOX shows that I may try which I can get with Hulu.

I ended up cancelling my CBS subscription. I will miss 2 shows - Bull and Seal Team - but am not going to continue paying $10 a month for just 2 shows.

It seems these networks cater a lot to the younger crowd I guess. To me a lot of really stupid shows get renewed each year. Thankfully Netflix and Hulu and a pretty big library of older shows that we do like.
Netflix is losing Friends and The Office and will likely continue to lose "bigger" shows over time as the major networking spin up their own streaming services and move them there. Netflix-developed content largely sucks.

I get the major networks via antenna, so I can survive just fine without subscriptions like CBS All Access (which is insanely priced, IMHO).

Seal Team can be streamed for free from CBS.com, you just need to wait for it to appear. I don't know about Bull.

I've also found that you can stream shows on an Android phone (bear with me on this) for free that you would normally need a CBS All Access subscription for. If you have an Android TV, stream the show on your phone and "cast" it to your TV. It actually looks ok and you don't have to pay the subscription cost.

I have the cheap Hulu as I took advantage of the $.99/month offer for Black Friday last year. It will revert to its regular price in a few months, and I don't know that I will keep it. I'm pretty sick of what's on Netflix and will likely dump that as well (possibly coming back for a couple of months per year to binge watch and catch up on shows) as the only content I'm currently interested in is In The Dark.

Like I said... I get the major stuff off of OTA antennas. So, I am fortunate to have a lot of choices without subscription costs. If I had to subscribe to something, I would probably give YouTubeTV a pretty serious look.

561 - 580 of 623 Posts