Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the dreaded "Shift to Neut" message that won't go away and let me start my 1025R. I've been searching and reading and I found this image. I'm a little stuck on finding it. Do I need to be under the tractor or behind it? One problem I'm having is my 60D MMM is attached making it hard to look underneath.

What do I need to do to access this switch with the 60D MMM attached and no hydraulics to remove it?

Neutral Switch Location.JPG

·
Premium Member
12,719 Posts
I've got the dreaded "Shift to Neut" message that won't go away and let me start my 1025R. I've been searching and reading and I found this image. I'm a little stuck on finding it. Do I need to be under the tractor or behind it? One problem I'm having is my 60D MMM is attached making it hard to look underneath.

What do I need to do to access this switch with the 60D MMM attached and no hydraulics to remove it?

You need to be under the tractor as that connector is in FRONT of the transaxle housing near the hydraulic oil filter. Getting in there with the deck attached is definitely going to be tight.

According to the photo it is located between where the front MFWD drive shaft and MMM drive shaft attaches.

Reactions: kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
It's on the front of the trans, above the deck. You may be able lift the deck so you can turn the height adjust to "install" then lower the deck.

See my post #4 in this thread. I have pictures of it, to show location, plus link to another thread where you can get more info on replacing it.

Bypass neutral safety switch

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
A friend has a 1023e. He only mows with his, so it sits all winter. This spring he got the "shift to neutral" message, even though it was in neutral. He held the key in "start" and just started moving the lever back and forth, a little harder each time, until it the engine cranked. Then he tried leaving the lever in neutral and it started. It has been starting all summer. I told him buy the switch and have it on hand. His switch freed up. You might also be able to remove the switch and free it up off the tractor.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
You will probably need to get your deck off. I once lost my lift capability and was able to lift it with a couple of floor jacks, one on each side. After you get it in the install position, you'll need to unlock the deck. Then you'll need something to pull the tractor off the deck. You'll want someone on the tractor to use the brake if necessary. I don't think I could get to the area in question with the deck in place. You might get access by pulling the floorboards and other cowling pieces and coming in from the top.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine came unplugged Saturday evening it's on the bottom of the transmisson. I happened to see the plug dangling under the tractor on the loader control side. I had to jump it out because I couldn't see where to plug it in with the mower connected. This is a really bad design. I have an LT160 with a hydrostatic transmission and all you have to do is push the brake to start it or lock the brake to get off while it's running much better design. It's 16 years old with over 5000 hours with no issues. This safety switch issue seems really common, I wonder if there some kind of guard I could put around it like a piece of sheet metal or screen or maybe duct tape.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out mine just came off.

I started by trying to lift the deck in order to lower it, but I didn't figure out how to unlock it. I have the hydraulic lift button, don't know if that makes a difference. Anyway, I decided I'd try to find it in order to run the jumper wire to get the tractor started and remove the deck. With the help of the pictures above and the other posts I knew where it was in reference to the MMM PTO shaft so I felt around from behind and underneath the tractor. I recognized the plug on the neutral safety switch and I realized there was nothing attached to it. I felt a little more and found the dangling wire. A little more feel and I was able to connect it and then start the tractor.

I'm going to order the safety switch and have it on hand. That should assure that I'll never have to change it. :good2:

Thanks to everyone for the assistance...in this post and others.

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
Good to hear you got 'er running. Maybe a couple zip ties will help keep it on better.

If you're getting a switch, get an o-ring also....and a 22mm deep socket....and a couple quarts of hydro fluid. Then you'll be ready :laugh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear you got 'er running. Maybe a couple zip ties will help keep it on better.

If you're getting a switch, get an o-ring also....and a 22mm deep socket....and a couple quarts of hydro fluid. Then you'll be ready :laugh:
Yea, it was raining last night so I just rode a small circle and put it back. When I get some time I'll probably take the mower deck off and get a better look and see if I can secure it better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts