Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've started using my Frontier Finish mower RM1060E and really enjoy it. It does a fantastic job. Well those years fumbling with the neutral stick/switch was not avaliable with the mower deck and power connection/craddle. I recently removed the deck and this weekend removed the craddle/deck lift. Believe it or not this system worked great but I was never a fan of the belly mower. Now I had access to the that pesty switch so I disconnected and put a jumper in the socket. "Disclaimer" not suggesting anyone else do this but shifting to neutral on hill and like was never my favorite move. Now the tractor starts right up and then apply the motion petals or then put in neutral with brake on if needed. There is no drag on the starter as there is no engagement of the powertrain unless the petals pushed. My unit is a 2016 with backhoe. I doubt since I found the rear finish mower setup that I'll ever go back to the belly. May even sell. I know I'll hear from the safety police but this was a personal decision and I don't recommend for anyone else. Here's a pic of the front yard. I run at about 2400 rpm. cruise and mow. Personally for my needs I feel tractor safer as I don't disconnect the drive train to neutral when on a hill starting. I would say JD should if any put this switch on the brake petal. Again not recommending for anyone else.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 JD 1025R, 120R Loader, SB1154 snowblower, 54" mid-mower, HLA 900 lbs forks.
248 Posts
Now I had access to the that pesty switch so I disconnected and put a jumper in the socket.
And if you remove the jumper, you basically have a kill switch because the tractor won't start if it doesn't think it's in neutral.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sjjd: The circuit is complete when the tractor is put in neutral. This allows a complete circuit to the starting motor. For my personal use, just hoping on and starting is so much better. Never understood this feature. I do understand the neutral as you may want to pull the tractor. I do understand this feature if you had a gear transmission as you may take off as soon as starter engaged. I had this problem on an old International and you had to be careful. I suppose John Deere would totally dissagree as they are looking for as many switches possible. If I sell tractor I will hook it back in position. I'm over cautious with safety but some areas I don't agree.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
The neutral safety on a hydro protects you from having your foot on the pedal while turning the key. Same as starting gear drive when in gear.

Reactions: Volkemon

·
Registered
2022 JD 1025R, 120R Loader, SB1154 snowblower, 54" mid-mower, HLA 900 lbs forks.
248 Posts
The neutral safety on a hydro protects you from having your foot on the pedal while turning the key. Same as starting gear drive when in gear.
Same is true with a ride-on, but have to put the brake instead, there's neutral. I guess it's a combination clutch brake because when the parking brake is engaged, the forward and reverse pedals do nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MarkEagle, might be some truth in that but never even considered pushing a pedal down while trying to start....wouldn't make any sense...I guess some dummy would do that though....

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
Reactions: Mike21 and Kbar

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think if companies weren't profiting so much on all these switches and sold called safety gizmos then the operator would wise up to their own safety...

·
Registered
463 Posts
The issue is that people will use the starter to move their tractor when the engine won't start. And that will fry the starter.
Why do you think manual-shifter cars have to have the clutch depressed to start the engine?.. I mean who in their right mind would have the car in gear when starting?... but people do.
In europe, this feature does not exist. If you're dumb enough to try to move your car with the starter, you deserve to have your starter fried, and face the repair bill.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
We we’re having a team meeting at work once and all of a sudden BANG. The whole front of the building shook. On of of illustrious team members gad added remote start to his stick shift Chevy he was fixing up. He had bypassed the clutch interlock and since since that defeats remote start on a stick. Parking lot was sloped away from the building he had backed in and left in reverse.

Must have been bored in the meeting and was messing with his new fob. When he hit start it Jumped the curb across 20ft of lawn, through the bushes and into the concrete building. Building was fine but knocked his rear bumper off and bent his trunk.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The neutral safety on a hydro protects you from having your foot on the pedal while turning the key.
I just remembered when I borrowed my friend's Kubota L3301 last year that it will start in neutral without the clutch or the brake engaged, but it won't start with the slightest foot pressure on the HST pedals. So there's several ways to make starting somewhat safe, different manufacturers pick different methods.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I just remembered when I borrowed my friend's Kubota L3301 last year that it will start in neutral without the clutch or the brake engaged, but it won't start with the slightest foot pressure on the HST pedals. So there's several ways to make starting somewhat safe, different manufacturers pick different methods.
To be honest I've never tried it but maybe Deere has a similar safety since the pedals have their own sensor switch.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have been thinking about bypassing mine. Not because I want to be able to start it in gear. The switch is finicky. The lever has to be in the perfect place. It's a bad design and it will likely fail at the worst possible time. So I am thinking about fixing it in advance of the failure that I expect. Corvettes are full of stupid stuff like this that has to be bypassed. Maybe that's why I feel this way. But most of those things leave you stranded somewhere if not bypassed in advance.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Volkemon

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think the 1025r has any switches on the pedals...but I'll test the start with pedal pushed to see if it does....I never think about pushing any pedal when starting....just the monkeying on the neutral switch as a pain....

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I don't think the 1025r has any switches on the pedals...but I'll test the start with pedal pushed to see if it does....I never think about pushing any pedal when starting....just the monkeying on the neutral switch as a pain....
Sure does. That's what causes the PTO to shut down when using reverse. The switch is directly under the seat and is how you disable the RIO. It's connected to the ICC and senses both forward and reverse positions.

Reactions: Mackford13 and sjjd

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I'll run a real time test....I don't use the seat switch...but I'll check for any other sensors....
It's under the seat platform. You remove the lower panel where the ROD knob is to access it. It's actuated off the linkage between the pedals and transaxle.

Motor vehicle Green Hood Automotive design Vehicle

1 - 20 of 41 Posts