Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
MarkEagle: here is the fact on my 2016. Yes it will take off if you push the pedal and engage the starter. I have the seat switch bypassed and my model doesn't have that back up switch. With the PTO engage the engine will not crank which is great as this would do damage to the driveline. I'm not advocating anyone do this but for my personal use I think unit is much more effecent and safer to use but I can't speak for anyone else.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
MarkEagle: here is the fact on my 2016. Yes it will take off if you push the pedal and engage the starter. I have the seat switch bypassed and my model doesn't have that back up switch. With the PTO engage the engine will not crank which is great as this would do damage to the driveline. I'm not advocating anyone do this but for my personal use I think unit is much more effecent and safer to use but I can't speak for anyone else.
I just tested on my 2020 1025R you can still start it with the pedals depressed (in neutral).

If the mid-PTO is engaged does the engine get killed when you press the reverse pedal?

JD Parts shows the same pedal switch for the early model 1025R's but only shows it as part of a wiring harness so I can't tell where it's located. P/N LVA13307.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why do you think manual-shifter cars have to have the clutch depressed to start the engine?. I mean who in their right mind would have the car in gear when starting?... but people do.
In europe, this feature does not exist. If you're dumb enough to try to move your car with the starter, you deserve to have your starter fried, and face the repair bill.
My last manual was a 1985 Toyota pickup i drove until 2000, so I didn't know this. When I learned to drive in late 70s we were taught to use the starter in gear to get a dead vehicle off the proverbial train tracks. I did in fact do this once to get myself out of harms way. Starters are cheap compared to life and limb...

·
Registered
2022 JD 1025R, 120R Loader, SB1154 snowblower, 54" mid-mower, HLA 900 lbs forks.
248 Posts
My last manual was a 1985 Toyota pickup i drove until 2000, so I didn't know this. When I learned to drive in late 70s we were taught to use the starter in gear to get a dead vehicle off the proverbial train tracks. I did in fact do this once to get myself out of harms way. Starters are cheap compared to life and limb...
My 1988 Toyota Camy and 1989 Ford Ranger had a clutch safety switch. My 1995 Jeep YJ didn't, I could start it in gear, it`s a feature for offroad vehicles. You can start in gear when on a hill and don't want to back up. Only recommended in 4-low. New Jeep Wranglers and Nissan Xterras (US-model only) have a clutch bypass switch to start it in gear without pressing the clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
MarkEagle: I don't know what difference it makes for the mid pto or the rear pto engage but engine doesn't die when I reverse with the rear pto operating...my tractor is a 2016 and it doesn't have the other button or switch you push to back up....it will not crank with the pto engaged which is great....I've got a slick working machine but may not be for everyone....I despise all those knockouts....

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
MarkEagle: I don't know what difference it makes for the mid pto or the rear pto engage but engine doesn't die when I reverse with the rear pto operating...my tractor is a 2016 and it doesn't have the other button or switch you push to back up....it will not crank with the pto engaged which is great....I've got a slick working machine but may not be for everyone....I despise all those knockouts....
I wonder if the '16 has RIO where you have to hold the PTO switch up before reversing when using the mid-PTO (using a mower deck for example)? To do that it needs some sort of switch on at least the reverse pedal to tell the machine what's going on.

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
I wonder if the '16 has RIO where you have to hold the PTO switch up before reversing when using the mid-PTO (using a mower deck for example)? To do that it needs some sort of switch on at least the reverse pedal to tell the machine what's going on.
Yes it does, at least stock from the factory. All 1 series came/come with RIO.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
Yes it does, at least stock from the factory. All 1 series came/come with RIO.
So the switch I posted above must exist somewhere on the early 1's.

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Like #24 maybe? 🤔😄

This is from the pre-2017 1025 catalog

Art Font Circle Pattern Symmetry

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Brand

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
Like #24 maybe? 🤔😄

This is from the pre-2017 1025 catalog

View attachment 842327
View attachment 842328
Same as I posted above... ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Ahh yes... my bad...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
So the switch I posted above must exist somewhere on the early 1's.
Yep, its just like where you said. When I did mine on my 2017, it was located in the exact same spot you pointed out.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Registered
463 Posts
agreed... and in europe it's still that way... because they know stupidity can't be fixed with safety switches....

but here in north america, some ken or karen sued a car company for running over their family dog because they went to start the car (while in gear) and the car surged forward "unexpectedly".... of course the court decided that the fault lies with the car manufacturer, because of the rampant "blame someone else" culture that dominates the land here.....

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
Yep, its just like where you said. When I did mine on my 2017, it was located in the exact same spot you pointed out.
That make sense since in addition to using the same switch, it uses the same bellcrank to activate it, so my guess is the linkage is identical to that of the newer models.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looks like my post has gotten really technical. My only response is a diesel tractor has it's value in simplicity. It only takes a throttle cable, diesel fuel shut off, either manual or solenoid operate, clutch and transmission, pto engagement either mechanical or electical, to operate the tractor. Safety police, aka engineers get hold of the machine and an array of disconnects, switches, dials, you name it. Then comes the breakdowns deciding where the electrical disturbances or failures are, all the diagnosis, not to say the limitness headaches. Many owners never bother to read the manuals or get any training before using the equipment. Then the sales, selling all this safety gizmos while not learning the basics of the machine. It's like putting 4 safeties on Annie Oakley's rifles. But many probably don't know who Annie Oakley was. There's no such thing as making something simple so the operator can understand it and run it safely. About the only main safety things to remember is not to operate close to ditches or extremely steep inclines, Don't operator on public highways unless transporting, keep arms and limbs away from mower decks in operation, careful backing, never, never let small children on the tractor with you. Most of all of these are ignored and all the switches in the world will nut supplement ignorance. Sorry for the raint and I want everyone to be safe but safety starts not on the tractor but in the brain.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Looks like I'm going to look into this. For the 2nd time since I got the tractor I stopped the machine and when I went to start it I released the brakes and hit the go forward pedal and the tractor went backwards down the hill on me. And it picks up speed instantly. Not too much level on my property.

I don't like bypassing safety devices but in 45 plus years of gear jamming all of my current vehicles are manual of which I start in gear with the clutch in and the parking brake on. And I park them in first with the parking brake on.

One of my big dislikes on this machine is the difficulty of jamming it into low from neutral. I guess the tolerances in india/china aren't quite what they should be when the units are engineered and assembled.

So I wanna leave it in gear when I turn it off and start it in gear with my foot on the left side pedal like I do habitually for all of my other vehicles.

Read both your responses MarkEagle and Machineryman. @machineryman any joy with making this happen?

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
One of my big dislikes on this machine is the difficulty of jamming it into low from neutral. I guess the tolerances in india/china aren't quite what they should be when the units are engineered and assembled.
A slight tap on the forward or reverse pedal will allow the square cut gears to mesh and go into gear.

The 1025R transaxle is manufactured in South Carolina. It's not imported.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
A slight tap on the forward or reverse pedal will allow the square cut gears to mesh and go into gear.

The 1025R transaxle is manufactured in South Carolina. It's not imported.
Correct that a few pumps of the pedal will make it go into gear.

I suspect it's assembled in SC with global components.

Reactions: sjjd

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I suspect it's assembled in SC with global components.
It may be, but it's the fact that it uses square cut gears as opposed to beveled gears that makes it finicky to put into gear. The teeth must be perfectly aligned in order to mesh together. It has nothing to do with tolerances.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
It may be, but it's the fact that it uses square cut gears as opposed to beveled gears that makes it finicky to put into gear. The teeth must be perfectly aligned in order to mesh together. It has nothing to do with tolerances.
Whaddya think all that fine metal on your screen magnet comes from?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts