Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, These are pictures of my 2011, m#2720. I have owned a number of JD tractors, both garden and compact and have never seen this problem before. As you can see I'm talking about the dash. And no, I never cleaned it with any solvents or diesel for that matter.
Think it might be defective material? Cant be the sun?

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I think if it was defective it would have shown up a long time ago. Have you checked under the cowl for any fire or overheating from wiring?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Do you park it next to any tinted/reflective windows..??

They can multiply the effects of the sun.

My Brothers vynil siding got toasted from the reflection off the neighbors Tinted windows.

just a thought

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Did this just happen? I agree with the others, looks like it got "cooked"

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
14,088 Posts
I think if it was defective it would have shown up a long time ago. Have you checked under the cowl for any fire or overheating from wiring?
Looks like it got real hot one way or another.
Did this just happen? I agree with the others, looks like it got "cooked"
I agree, if it was defective it shouldn't have taken 8-9 yrs to surface. It's worth taking apart and having a look underneath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your thoughts. The picture was taken 1n 2017 but melting occurred or began a few years earlier, I have been under the hood and there is no sign of a previous fire or any heat whatsoever. I live in Maine so extreme hot weather is rare. I have covered the unit before a storm with a tarp and of course, the tarp stayed on for a few days.
A neighbor of mine who farms 100+ acres and probably has 7 tractors says he has never seen anything like it.

I guess ill try the dealer and see what he says...I've put it off for a long time

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Wow, never seen anything like that other than heat induced.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definitely has the heat shrink look. It's hard to tell by the picture, but the steering wheel looks like it has something going on too. Fading maybe.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
No that is new and is definitely heat induced. If the formulation of the base resin product was off it could be heat induced but at a lot lower temperature than you would normally think of. So at what we consider a warm room temp the resin/polymer if not properly formulateof could do what a proper part would do at 85° what we would normally think of happening at 140°++

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my mind, I always thought that it was heat-induced melting. But what I cant believe is the extent of the melting on a quality product being used under normal circumstances. I also can't believe that covering a JD before a storm and leaving the tarp over it for a few sunny days should hurt anything...ever seen a dashboard of a car melt? I don't think that I could duplicate that melting effect with a torch.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
In my mind, I always thought that it was heat-induced melting. But what I cant believe is the extent of the melting on a quality product being used under normal circumstances. I also can't believe that covering a JD before a storm and leaving the tarp over it for a few sunny days should hurt anything...ever seen a dashboard of a car melt? I don't think that I could duplicate that melting effect with a torch.
The major part of Car dashboards are a wood/paper product. That and insulated coffee cups are the only things keeping the local paper mill running. Multiple owners have tried to transfer the process without success.

The longer I’ve thought about this the more I’m thinking a solvent was involved. It may not have immediately caused an issue, but just permeated the polymer making it lose full integrity and becoming less resilient to heat or uv exposure.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is it just my imagination, or is the edge of the hood closest to the black plastic look "whiter" or lighter that the rest of the hood towards the right of the picture?

Reactions: Herminator
1 - 13 of 13 Posts