Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a month old 1023e owner after being a long time (and still am) Wheel Horse owner/collector/tinkerer. I have to admit it is a little odd for me going to the green paint but boy do I love this thing after only a month of use! I'm up in New England and will primarily be using the machine to plow snow but am quickly realizing all of the capabilities I never even thought of but now have!

Being used to the oldies but goodies where everyone has a trick or modification I was wondering if there were any cool custom implements, etc. people have come up with or if these are still too new (not a bad thing :) ). Specifically I would love a cab but don't have the 5K to get the beautiful new one. I re-made one from the 80's for my older machine but wasn't sure what the lower cost options were for the SCUT's.

Thanks for any info and looking forward to learning from you all!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome, and congrats! I am also a Wheel Horse fan, and have owned quite a few in my time. I slowly got out of them, though, when I got my first subcompact 4WD tractor, and as prices for Horses/parts went through the roof.
I don't know about the 1023, but our neighbor recently bought a soft sided complete enclosure for his JD 4100, and it didn't break the bank. I believe it was around $800, and it works well- at least in our milder climate. We do get some very cold weather (single digits, and sometimes below zero), which he has plowed snow in. Just keeping the wind and snow off of him made a huge difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
New 1023e

Congratulations! You will love it more and more as time goes on.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jdjon where in Massachusetts? I have a 1023e also love it. Does amazing things for its size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would go to the vendor section of the forum to check out the aftermarket selection of attachments/implements. Lots of cool stuff to spend your money on there and someone else has done all the engineering work for you! :greentractorride:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the tips and welcome's everyone! Lots of great stuff out there to 'invest in' :laugh:.
I'm in central MA near Worcester. Just out of snow so now I can see what she can do moving some rock and making some trenches this spring. The front bucket looks awesome I saw in a few other posts, may be my first grab. Although that cab is awesome for the price - my WH one is very similar (with more patina). Certainly would work for me as blocking wind/snow is all I really need, not a cab nicer than my truck :good2:!

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
:wgtt:

The cost of some aftermarket cabs is pretty stiff. I bought a complete plow truck for less than it was going to cost for a cab to fit my tractor. :flag_of_truce: That said, you could always build one. Last year I used a $60 golf cart soft cover and some scrap OSB to build a semi passable wind break soft cab. If you live somewhere that the wind doesn't hit 100 mph something like that might work pretty well.

The bolt on hooks are an excellent first addition, you'll wonder how you got by without them. Some form of rear ballast is also critical, be it a ballast box, heavy hitch or home made weight of some kind. Forks, lights, top and tilt system, you're only limited by your imagination and wallet. :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts