Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having purchased our new-to-us house on 4 wooded acres a few years ago, the wife and I knew we'd need something more than a push mower to maintain the property. I found an old Kubota B6000 with belly mower which was a HUGE upgrade.

After using it a couple of years we figured out that we needed a newer solution. Our house is on top of a hill with little flat yard. The old 'Bota lacked a ROPS which was a major concern on some parts of the yard, plus the gear transmission wasn't the best fit for our slopes, so a few months ago the wife suggested we just buy a new tractor! :good2:

I did a ton of internet research and it came down to the 1025R and BX2370. Went to each dealer to get some seat time. Both were very nice tractors (and such HUGE improvements from the 1970's era B6000) but I felt the JD just had a bunch of little touches that added up to a much nicer package and was worth the slightly higher price.

Just in case anyone is also tractor shopping and comparing these two tractors (can't go wrong with either), here are the main reasons I chose the Deere:

1. Ease of attaching implements. The H120 FEL and Auto-Connect MMM are second to none. On the Kubota I had to specify their drive-over deck but it's not nearly as slick and polished in operation as the JD A-C.
  2. Ergonomics. Mainly the difference between HST pedals, twin pedals > "treadle" pedal. And FEL joystick location
  3. Longer and wider wheelbase. Should be better for our uneven terrain
  4. Better protected components: No exposed HST fan and steering components protected by front axle
  5. Ease of maintenance: To remove the side panels on the Kubota to access the lower engine compartment requires removing the grill guard
  6. More Ergonomics: lots of little things like foot space, extra thick rubber floor mat, throttle lever (for some reason I really didn't like the Kubota's), toolbox, and more
  7. Dual bucket curl cylinders
I've purchased a Taylor-Pittsburgh 48" box blade and a HF quick hitch so far. Next purchases will probably be a tooth bar and either wheel weights or load tires. As for the tooth bar, I'm heavily leaning towards the Heavy Hitch tooth bar but am also considering the Expanded Piranha bar.

I'm sure I'll have some questions as I get more seat time (only about 9 hours so far), but I'm LOVING every bit of it!!

IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
:congrats: on the new :greentractorride:

:wgtt: From The Pacific NW - Oregon!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Congrats on your new Tractor. :greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,797 Posts
Congratulations woodsnhills and welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome:wgtt:

You will find many things to do with your new 1025r, they are amazing little scuts!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
:congrats: and :wgtt:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
:wgtt: and Congrats on the tractor! :bigthumb:
Thanks for the pics.

·
Premium Member
14,887 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt::congrats::greentractorride::bigthumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcomes! I've been reading this site since searching for a tractor and have found a bunch of great information. Glad to be more formally attached to this place.

I do have one gripe: our grass doesn't grow fast enough. I dreaded mowing the summer we only had the push mower. It became more fun with the B6000, but started to become too much work since it seemed like I was always fixing something after each use. Now I actually look forward to getting seat time but it only takes about 2 hours to mow the entire yard (we have LOTS of obstacles and slopes).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congratulations on your new machine enjoy!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congratulations from Tennessee.

Kind Regards,
mdgilbreath
1026R with H120 FEL with a WR Long Tooth Bar
Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com
54" Deck mower quick detach
48" Frontier bush hog
48"Frontier box blade
JD imatch hitch
25 Gallon 12 volt Sprayer County Line from TSC
3 Point hitch rig with a 2" receiver bar for sprayer
2" Ball mount to pull utility trailer[/QUOTE]

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Congratulations and welcome from Iowa. You'll find many more chores to do with the machine to give you more seat time.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 1025r is a fine choice. Of course I may be a little biased as I bought one in February and now have 65 hours.
We use it a LOT and don't even have the mower yet. Grass is to be planted this fall and I will be getting the auto connect deck early next Spring.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Welcome! I think you will love your new 1025R. I've had mine a couple of months and love it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just in case anyone is also tractor shopping and comparing these two tractors (can't go wrong with either), here are the main reasons I chose the Deere:

1. Ease of attaching implements. The H120 FEL and Auto-Connect MMM are second to none. On the Kubota I had to specify their drive-over deck but it's not nearly as slick and polished in operation as the JD A-C.
  2. Ergonomics. Mainly the difference between HST pedals, twin pedals > "treadle" pedal. And FEL joystick location

1. Much the same for me. The Deere, the Kubota, and an LS were the final three. The LS probably would have been my second choice...you seemed to get a bit more tractor for the dollars with the LS. But your top two items were also my top two...the H120 quick attach loader was a big selling point. And I, too, prefer the twin pedals to the single rocker pedal. But that is a matter of personal preference...I know a lot of people have indicated that they prefer the rocker pedal. To each their own, I guess. I also like the three point position control.

But as others have said, you will find all kinds of uses for your Deere. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts
Welcome "WoodsNHills" to the GTT forum and I want to congratulate you on an outstanding introductory post. Your summary of your decision points for purchasing the 1 series is something which comes up frequently for those facing the same descision you were. Your succinct summary of the primary decision points will be helpful to others in the future.

I personally find the Kubota "Treadle Pedal" one of the most annoying things I have ever used or attempted to use on a tractor. A close friend has a 30 hp Kubota and that "dang pedal" is enough to drive me nuts when operating his tractor. I have long legs (36" inseam on pants) and trying to position my size 13.5 boots to efficiently and effectively operate the treadle pedal verses the Deere twin pedals is nearly impossible.

I also plow a lot of snow with my Deere and the side by side pedals for tractor operational direction are the best design out there in my humble opinion (and I am a VERY Humble guy :laugh:). In the winter, when wearing the "frugal man's heated cab equivalent" of Car hart Insulated Bibbed overalls, snowmobile boots and the Heavy Car hart winter coat, the ease of ergonomics is even more critical and the Deere really shines.

Please make sure to visit and post within the following here in GTT;

* photo's of your projects and activities with your 1 series. Photo's are extremely popular and are assured to only further enhance your enjoyment of the GTT Forum and our enjoyment of your posts.

*Options which you add to your new Deere. By the way, the GTT members enjoy some of the greatest sponsors on the web and they not only offer great accessories and enhancement options for your tractor, you can also get discounts and save your hard earned money by supporting those who support us all.Make sure to visit our VENDORS tab and take a few minutes to learn about these titans in industry and their offerings.

*Any struggles or challenges which you encounter on ANY of your projects at your new to you homestead. There are threads on GTT for just about anything from home projects to reviews and opinions of retail products and services and nearly everything in between. There is a vast wealth of knowledge and experience among the GTT members and most are eager to share. Should you encounter any GTT members who aren't friendly or helpful and welcoming, just let us know and we will "make them an offer they can't refuse.".......:nunu::nunu::munch::laugh:

*Your ownership experiences with your Deere and interactions with your dealer. These can also help others in a myriad of ways.

*Feel free to visit the social side of GTT such as the "Good Morning" Thread and the infamous "Key Thread". It is important that you know about the various color tractor keys and their benefits, not to mention the restrictions and qualifications in order to obtain and possess certain colored ownership keys. Just make sure you have a cool beverage and some free time when you dive into the mystery of the "Key Thread"......:hi:. Just when you think you are out of the Key Thread.......they will pull you back in.:laugh:

You have found one of the most helpful forums on the Internet which is populated by a vast majority of knowledgeable and friendly members who are a pleasure to be among. Of course, we had to allow a couple of undesirables in here (they know who they are.....:lol:) just so we can say we are an accommodating group.:lolol:

Once again, welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not so fast! He needs to mow first at 5 inches then at 3 inches. Problem solved. :munch:
Ah, yes! I see where you are going there!
One problem, though. He will have to skip a mowing cycle to get back to the 5" cut. :think:

Mr. Moose

P.S.
I use my RC2048 every 2 weeks and it takes me only 1.5 hrs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts