Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my 1025R TLB and I'm slightly annoyed at how bad the dealers are in my area. The dealer didn't have any on the lot so two weeks ago he told me he was ordering the 1025R TLB, 54" deck, and box blade from the factory. When it arrived it said he would swap the bucket for a 53" no problem. I drive an hour to the dealer today and it turns out the guy had one transferred in, which was a 2016 serial, had been sitting on the lot for 1-2 months, and the deck is a 2015 serial. Plus it wasn't even ready when I arrived at the time we agreed and I had to wait 30 minutes. Not the end of the world if he told me that in advance.

I decide to take the tractor as I took off work and wasted half a day already. I confirmed with the dealer it had 53" bucket and signed the papers. I let the dealer load the tractor on my trailer and didn't give a second thought to the bucket placement. I get home pull the tractor off the trailer and then notice the tractor dash has gouges on either side. It turns out if you have the bucket tilted back and not perfectly flat the metal sides stick out and make huge gouges in your trailer wood floor.

I called the dealer and he's going to order a new dash, so I'll have to take the tractor back to have it swapped. If I had noticed I probably would have passed on it at this point. I just now noticed that the ROPS light ubolts are rusting already. There are a few specs of rust on the loader fame, etc. Seems ridiculous that happens after a month in the weather.

To make matters worse after testing the tractor out I measure the bucket and its only 50" across the top, so it must be the 49" bucket. I'm probably stuck with the bucket as I've scratched it up fairly good already. A positive is it does have the 12" backhoe bucket, which the dealer told me multiple times it came with the 8" and I'd need to order the 12" separately.

Lastly the dealer plastered their logo on both sides of the hood and on both sides of the loader frame, which is a bit excessive. I need to figure out the best way to remove them as it just reminds me of this experience. It isn't just one sticker, but each letter is an individual sticker. I'm holding off posting a full tractor picture as I'm not sure I want to mention the dealer.

On the good side I'm thrilled with how well the 4 wheel drive and low range works over my 455. I haven't gotten it stuck and the 455 would get stuck all the time in the woods with the loader on. I put 4 hours on the tractor already digging two drain lines and removing a stump. The backhoe is better than a shovel, but not as powerful as I had hoped. If the ground clay is too hard or there are any small roots even the curl won't dig through. Overall I'm sure I'll be happy with the tractor, but the dealer defiantly left a bad taste in my mouth. When I spend this kind of money I expect better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It's a shame you had a bad experience with your purchase. I would try to get the bucket swapped anyway if it was on your purchase order, let them sand and paint the 49. I have a 49 and have had some squirrely moments when moving wet clay even with the BH on. 49 works fine for me. You should look fine after the dash replacement.
Nice pics of your drainage project, you are looking like a pro!:good2:

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
That logo should come off very easily with just your fingernail. Mine did.

Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There was a long thread on here not long ago about very poor dealer experiences, which I also had initially. Hopefully your experience with your tractor will get much better, as mine did.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Sucks about your dealer.
But the rusty light U bolts is a common complaint that must fall on deaf and blind JD higher ups.
I painted mine with a black paint stick because it annoyed the heck out of me.

Congrats though on FILB.

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
That logo should come off very easily with just your fingernail. Mine did.
If it doesn't, a hair dryer will help to soften it.

I take most logos/sticker off. Clean smooth paint has better aerodynamics. :lol:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience.

My dealer washed, waxed and even did some paint touch up on the ROPS where a speck of rust was. Then they armor-all'd the tires. I will go back to them for everything I need for the tractor with the exception of KBOH's.

Enjoy and be safe.

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
I would ask if the had a mobile Tech that could come and swap the dash when it came in. That would save you the trouble of trailering it back.

If they agree, I would also say have them bring a 53" bucket, I was supposed to get one and even ASKED when I was THERE. If I paid for one, I would want it, regardless if I scratched the wrong bucket. Since I thought it was a 53" when I used it.

Your post made it sound like the loading of the tractor scratched the dash :dunno:

The latest USED tractor I bought has a dealer sticker on it. I am afraid if I remove it the paint will not match where it was, since the tractor is 11 years old.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Definitely get the 53 inch bucket! Your dealer should deliver it to you.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Kramer's power equipment (on rt183 in PA) was kind enough to put his dealer sticker under the hood on my first tractor. They just put it on the back of the fan shroud. You could only see it when you opened the hood. Figured I would give him some free advertising. Seeing he didn't plaster them all over the tractor. Lol

I would have bought my second tractor from them but they are no longer a Deere dealer. He was only down the road from my old place. Even after moving 50 miles away I still went back to him for parts. Well until he could not get them anymore.

Reactions: W9GFO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would ask if the had a mobile Tech that could come and swap the dash when it came in. That would save you the trouble of trailering it back.

If they agree, I would also say have them bring a 53" bucket, I was supposed to get one and even ASKED when I was THERE. If I paid for one, I would want it, regardless if I scratched the wrong bucket. Since I thought it was a 53" when I used it.

Your post made it sound like the loading of the tractor scratched the dash :dunno:

The latest USED tractor I bought has a dealer sticker on it. I am afraid if I remove it the paint will not match where it was, since the tractor is 11 years old.
I was just pissed that my year old trailer has two 2" long by 1/2" deep gouges from the sides of the bucket. The sides extend past the bottom of the bucket, at least on the 49" bucket with the curved back. The dash is a separate issue, but I noticed both within 5 minutes of each other. It almost seems like they had some sort of strap over the dash to hold the tractor down as it's on both sides.

I talked with the dealer today and they will swap the bucket for the 53" when I bring it in for the dash. He told me he assumed it had the 53" bucket and didn't check. This is the same guy that told me it comes with the 8" backhoe bucket and not the 12". It's looking that if I drop it off in the morning they will have the dash swapped in an hour or two. I hope their techs are more competent than the sales guy. Assuming it goes well this is great as I don't want to leave it and make a third trip down there.

I used the hair dryer and goo gone to remove the dealer logos on the loader arms. I still need to do the hood side panels. It's a slow process as the logos are the dealer name with the words service center and the city and state below it in individual letters.

Once these issues are resolved it seems like its going to be a great tractor. I just made a dolly for the backhoe tonight following plans I found on this site.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I believe you will love the tractor. Sorry you have gotten involved with a bad dealer.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I used the hair dryer and goo gone to remove the dealer logos on the loader arms. I still need to do the hood side panels. It's a slow process as the logos are the dealer name with the words service center and the city and state below it in individual letters.
Hopefully no one at the dealership looks at your tractor and says "Hey! How did this tractor leave our lot without our stickers all over it?" and put new ones on to replace the ones you took off. :nunu:

:laugh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stopped by the dealer yesterday, swapped the bucket, and picked up the new dash piece. I'm just going to install it myself as I don't want to leave the machine / wait around. I want to bypass the RIO anyway and I heard on the latest models you have to take part of the dash apart anyway. They also had to give me one of the clips for the 3pt as it was missing from the hardware kit. This was probably on John Deere direct as the bag of parts was sealed. I managed to get the 4 dealer logos off the sides. Rubbing alcohol worked the best to remove the residual adhesive.

I used the machine two hours last night and was happy with the performance until the skid tape where your feet sit on the backhoe ripped in half and a section came off. Sure I can by more skid tape, but this is getting ridiculous for a 10 hour machine. The backhoe boom also drops to the floor within the 2 hour period I left the machine sitting. These defiantly aren't made like they used to be.

·
Premium Member
14,921 Posts
I stopped by the dealer yesterday, swapped the bucket, and picked up the new dash piece. I'm just going to install it myself as I don't want to leave the machine / wait around. I want to bypass the RIO anyway and I heard on the latest models you have to take part of the dash apart anyway. They also had to give me one of the clips for the 3pt as it was missing from the hardware kit. This was probably on John Deere direct as the bag of parts was sealed. I managed to get the 4 dealer logos off the sides. Rubbing alcohol worked the best to remove the residual adhesive.

I used the machine two hours last night and was happy with the performance until the skid tape where your feet sit on the backhoe ripped in half and a section came off. Sure I can by more skid tape, but this is getting ridiculous for a 10 hour machine. The backhoe boom also drops to the floor within the 2 hour period I left the machine sitting. These defiantly aren't made like they used to be.
Sorry to hear about the problems. Have had two different bh's and have never had the skid tape to work loose. Tell the parts or service dept they should order either one or a set and give them to you. Yes a PIA that this has happened and it shouldn't but your dealer should take care of these items.

Wow , my dealer puts 1 logo on tractor ,don't think any on fel or bh. On the x738 one logo on the hood little larger than the one on mine . Both tractors no one sees either logo unless you are standing looking at the top of the hood. For me Dealer would have removed the 4 logos , I've only bought 1 car or truck that has had a dealer logo on the back of vehicle. I tell them you can put the license plate logo and I can remove it when I get home. Most of the dealers anymore don't even bother to put the LP logo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
To give the dealer credit they didn't give me any hassle over fixing the issues. It was always no problem we'll take care of that. Here's pictures of their logos and the ripped grip tape. The box blade I picked up from them Saturday has the same logo on both sides as well. They really like to advertise at my expense.

Anyway I'm almost to 11 hours on it now. I'm currently working on putting in around 90 feet of drainage to extend the gutter. I'm digging down 16" as I'm putting a patio walkway / steps going down to the shop on top. Hopefully that isn't a dumb idea but I couldn't get any closer to the fence. I didn't want to go further in the yard.

Attachments

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,555 Posts
To give the dealer credit they didn't give me any hassle over fixing the issues. It was always no problem we'll take care of that. Here's pictures of their logos and the ripped grip tape. The box blade I picked up from them Saturday has the same logo on both sides as well. They really like to advertise at my expense.

Anyway I'm almost to 11 hours on it now. I'm currently working on putting in around 90 feet of drainage to extend the gutter. I'm digging down 16" as I'm putting a patio walkway / steps going down to the shop on top. Hopefully that isn't a dumb idea but I couldn't get any closer to the fence. I didn't want to go further in the yard.

Nice tractor. :bigthumb:

When I'm in the market for a new vehicle, or piece of equipment, I first tell the dealer "I charge for advertising."
Dealers usually apply their stickers as soon as it hits their lot. I made one dealer remove their sticker from my wife's new vehicle a couple years ago.
I also have the dealer deliver whatever I'm purchasing new. It's agreed upon prior; and during the purchasing process. No agreement, no purchase. Final word.

Glad you're happy with your new JD. :good2: Please work safely.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nice tractor. :bigthumb:

When I'm in the market for a new vehicle, or piece of equipment, I first tell the dealer "I charge for advertising."
Dealers usually apply their stickers as soon as it hits their lot. I made one dealer remove their sticker from my wife's new vehicle a couple years ago.
I also have the dealer deliver whatever I'm purchasing new. It's agreed upon prior; and during the purchasing process. No agreement, no purchase. Final word.

Glad you're happy with your new JD. :good2: Please work safely.
I can understand a car dealer wanting their dealership's name on a car, as it is free advertising. The Chevy dealer where I've bought my trucks for years uses a decal, and I just peel it off as soon as I get home. I've never had anyone at the dealership ask me what happened to the decal, or put on a replacement. I've bought 5 cars from the same dealer over the past 10 years and they have all come with a dealer license plate surround frame. They come off first thing, and no questions or replacements have ever happened.

If a decal reappeared on my truck I'd consider putting one of these decals right above it, and driving around with it for a while. It's the free advertising you wanted, Mr. Dealer, and my decal just helps people notice your name.

Decal-bad-boy-Calvin-pissing-2__98747.1463353982.500.750.jpg

I can understand one dealer decal on a tractor, so the name and number are right there if you need them, but more than one makes no sense. Who sees your tractor? And if they do, you're usually far enough away so the decals aren't visible anyway.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Kinda strange to me reading about dealers putting their stickers on tractors and equipment. I don't recall ever seeing that here, I know there was nothing on mine when I got it. Maybe because all the dealers around here are part of Mega-dealer chains and put all their efforts into big ag machines. I think the only reason they even carry the small tractors is because John Deere requires them to, so they probably don't want to advertise the fact. :lol:

They certainly have no one trained on the small tractors.

The personnel there changes pretty often also, I seldom deal with the same person more than once or twice and they are gone.:dunno:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts