Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have leveled the deck, it was off 1/2 inch side to side
I normally mow on the old 54 inch on my 425 at 3 1/2inches but when I do it with the 60 on the 1025 I cannot get the gage wheels down within 3/8 of the ground like they recommend without lowering the deck more. I am at 3 1/4 now and really do not want to go lower. The gaging pins are on top hole so really I do not see the deck being able to cut at 4 inches without the gaging wheels being useless. Also are the stock blades the best or is there something that will give a cleaner cut without clogging the deck. I am not mulching.
Besides that, ever since I am watching for the rops bar and not causing concussions I love it. But, new seat springs on the way.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
screamineagle,
IMO, gauge wheels/rollers are not designed to be a wheel to always roll on the ground but to prevent scalping. The lower you mow the more you need the gauge wheels. We mow at 3.25 - 4.5 inches and the gauge wheels are up off the ground far enough to stop the blades from hitting the ground in only extreme circumstances, just below the deck edge.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
screamineagle,
IMO, gauge wheels/rollers are not designed to be a wheel to always roll on the ground but to prevent scalping. The lower you mow the more you need the gauge wheels. We mow at 3.25 - 4.5 inches and the gauge wheels are up off the ground far enough to stop the blades from hitting the ground in only extreme circumstances, just below the deck edge.
'Nof said!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I mow with my deck at the highest setting

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
screamineagle:

I agree with Gizmo and Levi. Have patience. It took me a year and a half to get my 2320/54D adjusted so that it cut the way I wanted.

PS: I have no patience, either.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,121 Posts
I agree with Gizmo and Levi. Have patience. It took me a year and a half to get my 2320/54D adjusted so that it cut the way I wanted.
Oh man, you have way more patience than I do. If that were me the 2320 would have been back at the dealer or on Craigslist and I would be shopping for a new ride. Life is too short to waste that much time adjusting a lawn mower. :gaah:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Oh man, you have way more patience than I do. If that were me the 2320 would have been back at the dealer or on Craigslist and I would be shopping for a new ride. Life is too short to waste that much time adjusting a lawn mower. :gaah:
Well, the cut may have been acceptable, but I went from a 445 that I had (still have, now is my wife's) and just needed to get the 2320 to cut the same. Plus, my yard (can't call it a lawn) is rough and not overly level. The dealer and I have been friends since we were boys and if I had asked he would have adjusted it for me. Some times I just like to tinker with it.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
Mowed back yard today for the 3rd time still very happy with 54 deck.

Put my seat springs in 2nd day, yes seat is far better, but seat back was still leaning to far back for my taste.
Cannot the remember the bolt size but removed the 2 back ,hex head bolts holding the seat to frame, removed them put a regular head bolt a 1/4-1/2 " longer in there place. But before installing them , I found 6 3/8" opening washers appx 1/8" thick placed 3 on each side of seat between seat and frame put the bolts in tightened the longer bolts. Now back of seat is alot straighter than before ,doesn't feel like I'm seating in my recliner.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
Mowed back yard today for the 3rd time still very happy with 54 deck.

Put my seat springs in 2nd day, yes seat is far better, but seat back was still leaning to far back for my taste.
Cannot the remember the bolt size but removed the 2 back ,hex head bolts holding the seat to frame, removed them put a regular head bolt a 1/4-1/2 " longer in there place. But before installing them , I found 6 3/8" opening washers appx 1/8" thick placed 3 on each side of seat between seat and frame put the bolts in tightened the longer bolts. Now back of seat is alot straighter than before ,doesn't feel like I'm seating in my recliner.
I think I need to do this. Most of the time I'm leaning on the arm rests instead on leaning back on the back rest. You didn't happen to have taken pics of your work did you? This is an idea that needs exploring. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
I think I need to do this. Most of the time I'm leaning on the arm rests instead on leaning back on the back rest. You didn't happen to have taken pics of your work did you? This is an idea that needs exploring. :thumbup1gif:
No Photos ....but I'll try to get some over the next few days and start a new thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts