Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very excited to get my tractor. This is my first ever REAL tractor. I bought the 54" deck and the loader H120. I have some safety concerns and would like some good advice on how to stay safe. My FARM (ha ha) 1.6 acres and sloped mostly, not steep just a gradual slop. I know some may say I didn't need the 1 series but I have some projects I want to do and I also have a bad back. Plus weigh in the fact that the 700 series garden tractor was actually more money if outfitted the same as my 1025R, it seemed the best deal. Anyway, the concerns...

Does the 54" deck do a good job as a finish mower?

On a slop while mowing with only the deck attached is it safer to have extra weight on the 3PT hitch or better to just mow with no weight? My tires will have fluid in them.

I understand if I am using my loader with either light loads or heavy loads, it is a good idea and practice not to raise the load any higher than needed to transport. Makes sense. Should I leave it in 4WD? I think s but just want some pointers. Low range always? Things to stay safe...

I ordered a heavy hitch and I am buying some suitcase weights for ballast. With my filled tires and the iMatch, Heavy hitch and 6 suitcase (about 372 Lbs total), will that get me by with small loads, keeping them low to the ground and in low range?

The only other implement I really want is a Box Blade. Not sure when I will get it but I know it sets even further back and weighs about 325 lbs. That would probably be a better ballast but can it wait a while?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post. I really appreciate anyones help. Thanks again

Ret USAR SFC :usa

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
54" should do a great job. These decks have a ton of vacuum. It'll blow grass a long way too.

I like to use 4x4 going down hill with loader on as the back can start to slide and then hang on.... Grass can be greasy... It won't want to turn in 4x4 so be mindful.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
:wgtt:

Congrats on the new tractor. You'll love it.

With the filled tires stability will be greatly improved. The 54" will do a great job mowing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma! :greentractorride:

I imagine the learned tractor masters will be along shortly to lend much helpful advice. You'll enjoy mowing with the MMM. It does a great job as long as you keep it adjusted properly. You are going to LOVE your 1025R! :drinks:

Reactions: snr

·
Registered
151 Posts
:wgtt:

All the best with your 1025R...you are going to love it!!!

Let's see...easy question first. The 54" inch deck is a super finish mower. I have the same deck, and it does a beautiful job on my lawn.

The rest of your post seems to essentially relate to concerns on tractor stability and ballast. That is not a straight forward answer. Lots of factors affect your stability, e.g. degree of slope, tractor speed, weight in FEL, height of FEL while in transit, smoothness of terrain (if on an aggressive side slope, a woodchuck hole or rut could be what sends you over).

Certainly filled tires will help, as it lowers the overall Center of Gravity of tractor. If using the FEL, definitely want to get ballast weight to back of the rear axle...for two reasons. First off for safely as it helps in stability and traction. And secondly, ballast weight to the rear of axle acts as a counter balance and takes what could be damaging weight of the front axle. And of course keep bucket as low as possible...again keeps CG low.

If mowing a finely groomed lawn, too much weight could overly compact your lawn. And if you have a septic system, as I do, I don't like too much weight going over the drainage field.

As far as how much ballast, I don't have a perfect answer. Lots of posts on GTT regarding the ballast subject. Suggest doing a search and spending some time reading the wealth of valuable info.

And lastly, there is a term used regularly here on the forum called the "pucker factor". If you are not familiar with that term, when you get on a side-slope you will quickly figure out what that is. Each person's pucker factor is different!:lol:

The litmus test on a side-slope...if it doesn't feel right...don't do it! Keep the ROPS up and seat belt fastened on tricky terrain (don't forget to lower before going back into garage with standard height door...I learned the hard way). SAFETY first...

Best of luck with the new tractor! And we all love action shots on this forum...will await yours!:cheers:

Mike

P.S. - Thank you for your service to our country!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys

I really appreciate the info. I am taking your advise and I am going to be careful. Really looking forward to the arrival. I will get some pictures of the lay of my land and maybe that will help. I do plan on adding pictures of the tractor as well. Thanks again for your help.

BTW I am located in West Virginia,

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I really appreciate the info. I am taking your advise and I am going to be careful. Really looking forward to the arrival. I will get some pictures of the lay of my land and maybe that will help. I do plan on adding pictures of the tractor as well. Thanks again for your help.

BTW I am located in West Virginia,
I just got back from a week in Charleston. Y'all got some crazy interstate interchanges there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I just got back from a week in Charleston. Y'all got some crazy interstate interchanges there.
Hope you enjoyed your time up here. Still not warm enough for me yet. Thanks for the info and help.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Last year when I move to WV I thought there was no way I would be able to side hill and cut the grass in my front yard. The first time I tried it there was currently a pucker factor. I got use to the feeling and I'm much more comfortable now. It. Also helps that I have fluid filled and weighted tires. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,808 Posts
Welcome to GTT snr. You'll be in fine hands here, I'm sure.
Like thegriz said (good post) the search can be your friend and could very well answer questions you did not know you had.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
The guys have covered everything pretty well. The only thing I would add is to get a demonstration of attaching/removing the mower and loader BEFORE it leaves the dealer. This way any adjustments that need to be made can be done on the spot.:thumbup1gif: You should practice it a time or two as well with the dealer so they can answer your questions that will pop up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The guys have covered everything pretty well. The only thing I would add is to get a demonstration of attaching/removing the mower and loader BEFORE it leaves the dealer. This way any adjustments that need to be made can be done on the spot.:thumbup1gif: You should practice it a time or two as well with the dealer so they can answer your questions that will pop up.
Good advice! I didn't get to practice with the MMM at the dealer, but they did have a dirt pile for me to play in with the FEL & BH. The first few days home you need to learn your machine basics. Spend some quality time with the owners manuals and removing and replacing attachments a few times. I took the MMM, backhoe and loader off several times. There are also lots of excellent 1 Series Youtube videos you can watch and tons of information here on the forum - look for all the "sticky" threads helpful members have posted.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
Welcome snr. Good to see another Army Reservist on here.:usa

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
... It won't want to turn in 4x4 so be mindful
I've seen similar comments several times. I have to say that mine turns great when in 4x4. I should know since I use 4x4 98% of the time. I am able to make lock to lock turns easily - I do it all the time. I think there is some confusion between 4x4 and differential lock. With the diffential lock engaged turning will be more difficult, but not using just 4x4.

As far as mowing on a slope is concerned, I have mowed cross wise on up to a 28 degree slope, though it was a bit "iffy". That is with a 60" deck only and beet juice in the rear tires. No problem at all on 15 degree slopes. There are plenty of free apps avalaible for smart phones that will measure angles, very useful for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
14,897 Posts
Welcome form Preston County , West Virginia spent 9 years in 354th and 646 Camp Dawson years ago. As felixm22 said first time mowing on hill side will cause pucker factor to kick in. Take it slow and easy the few times , some sections you might have to mow up and down the hill. You didn't say what tires you ordered. May need to leave it in low range and 4x4 all the times depending on your slope. Personal thoughts on turfs I would not own living on my hill side.
The 54 deck is a good deck , always had a 54 til I bought the 1026r and bought the 60 which is a good heavy mower.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I've seen similar comments several times. I have to say that mine turns great when in 4x4. I should know since I use 4x4 98% of the time. I am able to make lock to lock turns easily - I do it all the time. I think there is some confusion between 4x4 and differential lock. With the diffential lock engaged turning will be more difficult, but not using just 4x4.
When in 4x4 mine pushes pretty bad. It's very similar to having the diff lock engaged. It feels like it's binding up pretty good also even on grass. When I was using it in the winter pushing snow I had the same issue. Mine will turn, but the sharper I turn the more is fights.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I just took a video comparing the turn radius, I will put it in a new thread.

I will concede that 2WD turns sharper than 4WD but unless I am mowing around a tree or something the 4WD turn radius is more than adequate for my needs. I might feel differently if I needed to drive on concrete or asphalt though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tires

Welcome form Preston County , West Virginia spent 9 years in 354th and 646 Camp Dawson years ago. As felixm22 said first time mowing on hill side will cause pucker factor to kick in. Take it slow and easy the few times , some sections you might have to mow up and down the hill. You didn't say what tires you ordered. May need to leave it in low range and 4x4 all the times depending on your slope. Personal thoughts on turfs I would not own living on my hill side.
The 54 deck is a good deck , always had a 54 til I bought the 1026r and bought the 60 which is a good heavy mower.
Not sure of the name of the tire but they are not the turf tires. R4 or P4 something like that. The one you see on most of the pictures and videos. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
When in 4x4 mine pushes pretty bad. It's very similar to having the diff lock engaged. It feels like it's binding up pretty good also even on grass. When I was using it in the winter pushing snow I had the same issue. Mine will turn, but the sharper I turn the more is fights.

I have to agree. In with 4wd engaged there is some fighting between the two axles. I just 4wd when necessary but return to 2wd as soon as possible. The rear diff does cause even more pushing.

I just took a video comparing the turn radius, I will put it in a new thread.

I will concede that 2WD turns sharper than 4WD but unless I am mowing around a tree or something the 4WD turn radius is more than adequate for my needs. I might feel differently if I needed to drive on concrete or asphalt though.
R4 tires I think are the best all around tire.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Welcome.:greentractorride:
I should of got a 54" but I went with a 60". The did cut my time down but on some of my crowns it scalp the grass.
So you made the right choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts