Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

just received my new 1025R JD on Saturday with the 60 inch quick connect mower deck. Have a front end loader coming in July.

I cut my grass last night for the first time with the new tractor and I already love it. Something that took 4-4.5 hours on my 42 inch rider took 2 hours, and still looks good. I could make my "stripping" lines and turn pretty sharp easier than my other rider.

I just wanted to get some info on what to do and what NOT to do with the mower and when and how to engage the mid PTO. A few times I forgot to pull up on the knob when going in reverse causing the pto to cut out. Just wondering what is the proper or okay way to re engage the Mid PTO?

Thanks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Welcome to GTT jmads21.
Congratulations on your new tractor and good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there,

just received my new 1025R JD on Saturday with the 60 inch quick connect mower deck. Have a front end loader coming in July.

I cut my grass last night for the first time with the new tractor and I already love it. Something that took 4-4.5 hours on my 42 inch rider took 2 hours, and still looks good. I could make my "stripping" lines and turn pretty sharp easier than my other rider.

I just wanted to get some info on what to do and what NOT to do with the mower and when and how to engage the mid PTO. A few times I forgot to pull up on the knob when going in reverse causing the pto to cut out. Just wondering what is the proper or okay way to re engage the Mid PTO?

Thanks.
Your going to love the machine. I walked the ground first so my MMM didn't hit any surprises, re: piece of metal, stone etc. after choosing the height I wanted, I set the gauges wheels up a little bit. The deck should not constantly ride the wheels. They are there to ride out contours unevenness etc. only engage the PTO when at idle, than throttle up. I do the same for disengaging PTO, I throttle down than disengage it. There is a lot of debate about the RIO, I bypassed mine. Taking the time to pull it up before going in reverse sounds great, but I use my rig a lot with out the mower and going in reverse is without thought for me. I didn't Iike the rig shutting down under PTO rpm and under load with the deck. I would forget to pull the knob prior to reverse so for me, the bypass was the way to go my second mowing season, I installed the mulch kit and love it.. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your going to love the machine. I walked the ground first so my MMM didn't hit any surprises, re: piece of metal, stone etc. after choosing the height I wanted, I set the gauges wheels up a little bit. The deck should not constantly ride the wheels. They are there to ride out contours unevenness etc. only engage the PTO when at idle, than throttle up. I do the same for disengaging PTO, I throttle down than disengage it. There is a lot of debate about the RIO, I bypassed mine. Taking the time to pull it up before going in reverse sounds great, but I use my rig a lot with out the mower and going in reverse is without thought for me. I didn't Iike the rig shutting down under PTO rpm and under load with the deck. I would forget to pull the knob prior to reverse so for me, the bypass was the way to go my second mowing season, I installed the mulch kit and love it.. Good luck!!!
Thank You, I am planning on by passing the PTO switch just with the zip tie mod under the seat in time. Last night was the first test run with the machine, so I was wondering about PTO engaging RPMS. I know it disengaged when reversing on accident at full RPMS, and I did reengaged it at the same RPM, So I will NOT do that next time out. It did seem a tad rough engaging but didn't think anything of it since I am new to this.

Also the cut height I am not completely sure on yet. I started the first section I cut with it a few clicks above M, and it didn't scalp at all, it just was too short to my liking. I don't want it to burn out. So the next section I tried it on H and I was happier with the overall length it cut. And then the last section I cut which is a little thicker and rougher I cut at almost the highest notch and it seem to be fine.

So with that being said... I raise my deck up all the way with the Bigger lever, (think it is the rockslide lever?) adjust my height and then lower the deck with that same lever until the scalping wheels/ plastic wheels are close to the ground. I have them set on the third so two holes are showing per instructions from dealer. Do I do anything with the 3 pt height?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks.
Welcome to GTT jmads21. The 1025 is great mowing machine when properly set up. Always engage and disengage the PTO at idle engine speed.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. We like pictures of your 1025R. I mow with mine 2 clicks down from the top. :good2:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Welcome from New York!

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
:congrats: and .... :wgtt:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thank You, I am planning on by passing the PTO switch just with the zip tie mod under the seat in time. Last night was the first test run with the machine, so I was wondering about PTO engaging RPMS. I know it disengaged when reversing on accident at full RPMS, and I did reengaged it at the same RPM, So I will NOT do that next time out. It did seem a tad rough engaging but didn't think anything of it since I am new to this.

Also the cut height I am not completely sure on yet. I started the first section I cut with it a few clicks above M, and it didn't scalp at all, it just was too short to my liking. I don't want it to burn out. So the next section I tried it on H and I was happier with the overall length it cut. And then the last section I cut which is a little thicker and rougher I cut at almost the highest notch and it seem to be fine.

So with that being said... I raise my deck up all the way with the Bigger lever, (think it is the rockslide lever?) adjust my height and then lower the deck with that same lever until the scalping wheels/ plastic wheels are close to the ground. I have them set on the third so two holes are showing per instructions from dealer. Do I do anything with the 3 pt height?
You almost got it. Raise the deck all the way. Set the stop knob to the height that you want to cut. Then lower the deck onto it. Setting the anti scalp wheels is best done on a flat hard level surface. After lowering the deck to the cutting height stop. Go around the deck and set all them little wheels 1/4"-1/2" above the ground. You want them all the same distance from the ground. I recommend setting them up to the lowest height you will be cutting. When you get to any rough sections just raise the deck and keep cutting. This is how I do it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
When I mow I use the clothespin method to temporarily bypass the reverse cutout. Give it a try first, and then decide whether you want to do anything more aggressive. I like it that the safety feature is still enabled when I let someone else use the tractor to mow.

0604161915.jpg 0604161915b.jpg

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
When I mow I use the clothespin method to temporarily bypass the reverse cutout. Give it a try first, and then decide whether you want to do anything more aggressive. I like it that the safety feature is still enabled when I let someone else use the tractor to mow.

View attachment 388882 View attachment 388890
I chuckled at this one but it is a "quick fix" for someone that isn't as familiar with the tractor should you let someone else drive. It's silly but it's cheap and it works. I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Congratulations on your new tractor

·
Registered
527 Posts

View attachment 388882 View attachment 388890
Yeah, but now your chips are gonna get stale! :mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the Info and advice! after playing around with it last night I notice I have to use the front end loader lever to raise and lower the deck and the 3 pt lever doesn't do a thing for the mower deck on mine compared to the videos. But realized its the way the dealer set up the deck for now until my loader comes in. Can't wait to get back on it and cut again, I dreaded cutting the grass on the rider.

Here's a few pics of the tractor by the pond in my back yard, and the cut.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
What I would not do is use 4x4 while mowing. Will tear up the grass and is not great for the drive either. Only use 4x4 when needed. If you happen to turn on a dry pavement, it will put undue stress on components.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Welcome from WNY!

It sounds like you have the hydraulic lift option for the mower?

I just have the mechanical lift that works off of the rockshaft (3 pt) . I'd ask for feedback from guys here who have a loader AND the hydraulic lift option on how it should be set up correctly and using it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts