Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and new here.

I am buying a 1025R from my local dealer as they have some leftover 2018 models new that JD wants them to move. I am getting it equipped with a 54" ride over deck and the FEL (120R). My question is has anyone seen or heard if JD will make the "Load N Go" for the 54" deck? I am also looking to a iMatch hitch as well as I am looking to add a box blade and rotary tiller in the future.

What are the ups and downs with this little tractor I should be aware of? After comparing apples and oranges with other brands I found the JD to be the most refined and I have always heard great things about the Yanmar engines.

I look forward to getting it in hand and working it for sure.

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

Noticed you didn't post a Ballast box... You will need something on the back with a FEL

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome from Milan, OH!

·
Registered
769 Posts
It looks like the 54 inch deck is not wide enough to accommodate load n go brackets. Check to see what air cleaner assy it has. If there is a bracket connected to the engine valve cover, tell them you will be needing the up-graded air cleaner kit installed before you buy. Read this thread if you don't know about this problem.
1025r Engine Damage (air cleaner broke off)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Welcome from New York!

There are a bunch of threads discussing the ups and downs of the 1025R. It is a proven unit which has been around for quite a few years.

Reactions: kylew and msheron

·
Registered
558 Posts
:wgtt:

Reactions: msheron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the 54 inch deck is not wide enough to accommodate load n go brackets. Check to see what air cleaner assy it has. If there is a bracket connected to the engine valve cover, tell them you will be needing the up-graded air cleaner kit installed before you buy. Read this thread if you don't know about this problem.
Thank you for the link and heads up as I had not heard this issue with the 1025R. Looks easy to pop the hood and see if it has been done for sure. I will certainly do this and refer to the solution #: The Deere solution number is #113718

Once again my friend thank you very much! You guys have been great to a noobie JD soon to be owner.

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Thank you for the link and heads up as I had not heard this issue with the 1025R. Looks easy to pop the hood and see if it has been done for sure. I will certainly do this and refer to the solution #: The Deere solution number is #113718

Once again my friend thank you very much! You guys have been great to a noobie JD soon to be owner.
Being a 2018, it should have the updated air cleaner assembly, but it is wise to verify. Also, don't think of "left over 2018 model units" as you do a year old car model as these units are rarely based upon model year when sold and re-sold. The hours of use on the machine mean than its model year.

In fact, for many the older models hold more appeal as some of the "updates" which have been made to the tractor have been regressive in nature to many experienced owners. For example, the forward facing ROPS (Roll over Protection Structure) on 2018 and newer models along with Deere now requiring a tool to open the hood have both been very unpopular with most 1025r owners.

Really, the important part of being the owner of a SCUT (Sub Compact Utility Tractor) is that you are happy with the machine, have a strong dealer with great customer service and learning all of the new ways which the machine will make your life and projects easier. The best way to learn about your machine and new and exciting ways to use it SAFELY is being an active member here on GTT......

And remember, there is no such thing as a "Stupid Question" here on GTT as everyone has to learn and generally, GTT has a great group of people who are very willing to help and share information. Not everyone always agrees and many arrive at the same destination after having taken many different routes. But isn't that just like life, itself?

Just FYI, one of the most popular attachments and most widely used are front Pallet Forks for your tractor. Make sure to read about the importance of selecting the pallet forks which suit your planned use of the machine. Every single pound of implement weight is one less pound of lifting capacity, so keep that in mind and don't get caught up in whether the forks are rated for 3,500 pounds or 4,000 pounds as your machines lifting limit is much closer to 1,000 pounds gross weight.

Welcome to GTT. Please make sure to spend time reading about the safe ways to operate your machine. Here are a couple of the safe operating tips to ALWAYS keep in mind;

- Make sure to properly use rear ballast. Whether its a ballast box, rear suitcase weights or the use of a rear implement, its critical to have the rear of the machine balanced with weight to match that of the FEL in use.

- Whenever you are carrying anything with the FEL, ALWAYS carry the load as low to the ground as you safely can. Never should the load or bucket be above hood height when the tractor is moving with the load.

- The center of gravity on these machines changes dramatically and you always need to be aware of this when using it.

- It's important to put the transfer case into 4wd when carrying loads with the FEL or on the rear 3 point hitch when dealing with any inclines or varying terrain. Often, when cresting even a small incline, the rear wheels of the machine will unload and when the machine is not in 4wd, its easy to lose speed control of the machine going down the hill. Having the tractor in 4wd engages the front wheels and helps to control the machines descent down the hill.......

- Make sure to have the ROPS up when using the machine on any slopes, grades, etc. even ditches.

- Make sure to verify if your garage door clears the ROPS before you drive in or out of the building. This is a very common mistake made by a majority of the owners and you don't want to join the "ROPS and Garage Door Header Impact / Damage Club."

- 80% of all tractor accidents happen to "experienced or very experienced users" so no one is immune to the safety concerns.

Welcome to GTT, make the most of this website and its great group of people and it will enhance your tractor ownership experience.

Plus, we are really good at helping owners spend money......:laugh::lol: on new implements, attachments, etc.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I recently got one w a 60” deck. Dealer recommended it over the 54”. I got a whopping 2.5 hours on it so far lol, but I had accomplished multiple tasks with it already. Plenty of mowing power, and loader isn’t a powerhouse, but it does the job better than a shovel and a rear cart and it clears brush like a champ. Pretty quick on its toes too. Got the mower deck off yesterday to inspect pulleys and belts. I don’t have the load and go thing for it yet, but I was able to lift it from the front and stand it up by hand fairly easily to inspect the underside. I got the imatch also. It’s going to be one of my most useful add ons because I will be making a lot of my own attachments like a ballast box (got schooled on the necessity of ballast recently even if I don’t like it), ripper, brush rake. Also, see if they will put rim guard in the rears. Grab a grease gun too. There are lots of moving parts that require regular grease application, so look into that. If you can throw the forks into the mix, do it. I didn’t and am slapping myself for not doing it even though I am making my own. Look at the vendor section of these forums and see about bucket hooks, and other useful stuff. The people on this forum are extremely helpful with any questions you have, and are very polite, and seem to be good people. There’s lots of professional and hands on experience here, so be sure to cruise around the threads and you’re in good hands here. Have fun with your new tractor! And welcome from WA!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Already placed call to my LD to inquire if this retrofit has been done yet. Thanks once again for the heads up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You got some good advice from sully.

A couple of personal tidbits I would add is to load the rear tires. There is a how to on you tube on how to do the selfie,

Also when carrying a kinda heavy load in the bucket I always keep a paw on the hyd lever when cresting and starting down an incline. first hint of slippage and I drop the bucket on the ground.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't at all mean to be the party pooper here, but always keep in mind that this thing can KILL YOU.

In fact, you might think it is actively trying, at times.

Somebody else posted about reading FACE reports, and they are a sad eye opener. Most, if not all of then could have been prevented. There is also a small set of "It happened to me" posts here. If you have an accident, or near accident, there's no shame in telling the world about it- your misfortune could save another person's life.

With me it's mostly pinch points- I'm still leery of adding the backhoe, but the center pivot pin helps ensure I don't squish myself, and if you stand behind the outrigger I'm pretty sure it can't reach you at all. I also wear earplugs when operating. The noise is not bad, but I don't like any sort of noise. No music headphones at all.

Beware of things lurking in the grass! Rebar, barbed wire, mattresses, gopher holes or whatever can make bad things happen quickly. Go slow and think things through. Always have a reverse or backout path in your mind. Please try not to operate alone, if at first. If you get hemmed up a safety observer (observer! not assistant!) with a cell phone is priceless. Lights are great, but I really don't operate in the dark. Lights get me back to the garage at dusk, that's all.

I bought the JD because implement setup (esp. the mower deck) seemed faster, easier and safer that any competing model.

PTO shaft covers are there for a reason. Do you want to become a PTO shaft cover?

With all that gloom and doom, I honestly like doing tractor work. It's not hard, just gotta keep safety in mind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You got some good advice from sully.

A couple of personal tidbits I would add is to load the rear tires. There is a how to on you tube on how to do the selfie,

Also when carrying a kinda heavy load in the bucket I always keep a paw on the hyd lever when cresting and starting down an incline. first hint of slippage and I drop the bucket on the ground.
My LD loads tires automatically before handing off to the customer. Thanks however for the tip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't at all mean to be the party pooper here, but always keep in mind that this thing can KILL YOU.

In fact, you might think it is actively trying, at times.

Somebody else posted about reading FACE reports, and they are a sad eye opener. Most, if not all of then could have been prevented. There is also a small set of "It happened to me" posts here. If you have an accident, or near accident, there's no shame in telling the world about it- your misfortune could save another person's life.

With me it's mostly pinch points- I'm still leery of adding the backhoe, but the center pivot pin helps ensure I don't squish myself, and if you stand behind the outrigger I'm pretty sure it can't reach you at all. I also wear earplugs when operating. The noise is not bad, but I don't like any sort of noise. No music headphones at all.

Beware of things lurking in the grass! Rebar, barbed wire, mattresses, gopher holes or whatever can make bad things happen quickly. Go slow and think things through. Always have a reverse or backout path in your mind. Please try not to operate alone, if at first. If you get hemmed up a safety observer (observer! not assistant!) with a cell phone is priceless. Lights are great, but I really don't operate in the dark. Lights get me back to the garage at dusk, that's all.

I bought the JD because implement setup (esp. the mower deck) seemed faster, easier and safer that any competing model.

PTO shaft covers are there for a reason. Do you want to become a PTO shaft cover?

With all that gloom and doom, I honestly like doing tractor work. It's not hard, just gotta keep safety in mind.
Thanks for the tip......not my first tractor. My last one was quite a bit bigger New Holland that I used to bush hog a 21 acre piece of land we owned twice yearly. Had steep grades and ravines on that property to navigate with a large bush hog system. But yes, you are right about these machines being dangerous. I suspect the SCUT's can even be a bit more to handle due to smaller wheelbase and such as compared to much larger tractors at times.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You know.....slipped my mind to load the rear! I do need a ballast box too! Thanks for adding to my buying list....LOL:lol:
I think the ballast box "need" isn't a need if you do buy a rotary tiller (usually around 550-600 lbs depending on the brand) and are ok using it. Yes, it'll be a little more cumbersome and maybe not as manuverable, but I mainly use mine for this purpose when I don't have my backhoe on. I also have a 3-pt hitch mounted plug aerator and while it's not as heavy, it's generally enough for light FEL work.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio :wgtt:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
:congrats: and :gtfam:

We are happy to make your wallet easier to carry !!! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my 2018 1025R on May 17
Read all your posts and thank you guys for your guidance. I have 14 hrs on mine now and I could sell these 1025s they are amazing!
So far it's been great but I know eventually I'll have some questions for you guys. Thanks for being there for us newbies.
Chuck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts