Green Tractor Talk banner

New 1025R... That seat plastic, tho...

6053 Views 42 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Minuteman17
Ugh. Finally got it off.

Mostly. 馃檮

Love this lil guy.

Need to grab the manual... This 2021 has a different hood opener than my 2016 had.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
I stick the key in there, push it in to release the latch.
Use your key or a screwdriver to poke in the hole to unlatch the hood.
Right... in an effort to make everything tool-less... you now need a "tool" to open the hood. Can I get a "Hey Yeah!" for the JD engineers? :)
They switched to the "European" version a few years ago. Someone makes a kit to convert that back to a button. But, it only takes a second to use a key. It is a stupid design though.
A stick works too. Anything that goes in and pushes the release plunger suffices.
Stupid? I like the design. Keeps "casual observers" out.
Oh and your seat plastic: just remove "most" of it and tuck the edges under. Looks perfect.
Yup. That's what I ended up doing.

Will get a seat cover soon. 馃槈
Oh and your seat plastic: just remove "most" of it and tuck the edges under. Looks perfect.

bought this button from ebay seller.

Also bought 4x4 shift lever from ebay.

dont have any links. Try searching for them.
Okay. Kinda lame but whatever. Someone going to steal the batt? 馃ぃ

I just need to be able to get in there to clean the pull out filter... In my experience, with lots of leaves and dust, that thing clogs fast and next thing you know the engine is shutting down from overheating.

Just took the key out. Got it.

Thanks everyone!

-Ken
Stupid? I like the design. Keeps "casual observers" out.
Kinda lame... until you live in the ghetto LOL. I don't live in that kind of place anymore (thank goodness) but the mindset stays with you.

Edit: I live in a rural area now thankfully, but yes, in some places you can bet there are dirtbags out there that WILL STEAL YOUR BATTERY! Meth is a terrible thing! :LOL:
Something else to break...
Ugh. Finally got it off.

Mostly. 馃檮

Love this lil guy.

Need to grab the manual... This 2021 has a different hood opener than my 2016 had.

View attachment 781565
Reactions: wildbranch2007
They DID make it tooless. Your ignition key fits right in there to release the hood latch.

Jeff
Right... in an effort to make everything tool-less... you now need a "tool" to open the hood. Can I get a "Hey Yeah!" for the JD engineers? :)
Not that I agree with nanny state, however I think this "key needed" to open the hood is due to wanting to keep you from opening the hood with the engine running, the key needs to be removed from ignition to open the open the hood.
That too wouldn't work as they give you multiple keys and pretty much any key or small object can be used to push the release. If that were their intent they could have installed an interlock safety switch that would have killed the engine when the hood was opened. After all, we all know how the lawyers just love safety interlock switches. They could have also made the hood latch a lock that required the key to turn.

I just think it is a poor design to require that the ignition key be used as a tool. Over time, you could deform the end of the key.
Not that I agree with nanny state, however I think this "key needed" to open the hood is due to wanting to keep you from opening the hood with the engine running, the key needs to be removed from ignition to open the open the hood.
The explanation I heard from my salesman was they didn't want the hood to open randomly by having something hit an external actuator. I said they should have an external "pull" latch instead.
TTWT explained it was a new European standard in a video they did while in Germany.
All the changes are just marketing puffing and doesn't do anything with basic operations. I think engineers always have to change something for job security.
Let's see, I can remember the precise number of times my external hood latch has been "activated" during tractor use which resulted in the hood opening in an unintended fashion......Precisely NONE..................in 600 hours of use.

"It's a European Design", Great, then put it on the European tractors. Don't penalize the rest of us for their stupid hood retention standards or desires or whatever it may be. Anytime you have to modify a new product BACK to it's prior design and standards to make it easier to use and functional, that's not progress.........
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.