Green Tractor Talk banner

New 1025R, what do I need now?

15K views 78 replies 40 participants last post by  MattL 
#1 ·
Howdy!

I just signed the papers on a new 1025R, mechanical mower lift + 120R FEL, Box blade, 60D autoconnect mower w/ autoconnect PTO and load n go, fixed 42” forks, what do I need now?

I understand the major attachments depend on how I intend to use the tractor, but what accessories, tools, supplies, etc should I also get?

I’ve ordered or bought or have:
  • descent basic tools
  • angled pliers
  • 250 ft-lb torque wrench
  • front & back tow hooks
  • 6” step
  • left & right FEL mounted handles
  • diff lock pedal
  • chain hooks for FEL bucket
  • 50 hour filter + fluids
  • rhinohide canopy
  • lock’n’lube
  • lube shuttle + MOS grease
  • diesel gas cans

what else should a new tractor owner look at or be sure to get?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Phew, sounds like you’re headed in the right direction with a pretty good base. My opinion, from experience, start using the tractor and see what you need next. I may have ordered a few things in the past that I didn’t really end up using all that much. I have gotten a lot of really good feedback on here, just this past week a post I made actually talked me out of an implement I was thinking about getting based on feedback I got. My recommendation is start using the new toy, see where it leads you, then ask lots of questions when a need arises.

#3 ·
Good advise. I’m expecting to pick up the tractor by the end of the week. My honey do list for the new tractor is, shall we say not short... 😀

With the change to ordering stuff online and the associated lead times, I prefer to stock what I need vs being down for a week or two... Also the finance committee has green lighted the tractor, but in a month or three... 😀

#4 ·
Wheel Spinner You will thank me later! No matter what attachment or chore, you will use it every moment you are on your new toy (tool).

Congratulations.

#5 ·
You look to have a lot of it covered! Did you get the loader 3rd function Hydraulics? Most people recommend to just get them with the tractor, build the cost in to the loan (if you financed) and a lot of times the labor to install will be cheaper with initial setup.

Ballast- That FEL will need ballast on the rear to be safely operated (and save some wear on the front axle). This is another thing that that if rolled in to the loan might make sense to go with (and its painful) the suitcase weights and a heavyhitch ballast option. A Box Blade is decent ballast, but likely doesn't meet the needs for a max load on the FEL. The cheaper option here is a ballast box full of [gravel, marbles, lead, cement, pavers, scrap steel, pizza crust, etc.] The cheap end for ballast boxes is Titan and the high end is JD Green. Edit: There isn't much different between them, fit and finish likely. Search for "which ballast box" and you'll find this is a VERY dead horse.

We're good at spending other people's money, (SOPM)... But since you opened the door...

If I were doing it again, I'd go with the HH and suitcase weights and roll them in the financing - but I just spent $320 on (2) 42lbs and (2) 70lb weights... and I need at least 2 more 70s, will likely do the same order again soon.

#9 ·
Load rear tires, heavy hitch or some org of rear ballast, i0match quick hitch, Kenny (Bolt on hooks) has some excellent storage boxes that mount to the i-match hitch. Kenny also has some other slick parts like a step. Loader mounted rear view mirrors are really nice too.

#10 ·
Get a ballast box and load it with something heavy. I filled mine with concrete because I can't ever see wanting to change the weight of it. Mine's a Titan and although it does need the top link mounting tabs reworked to be perfect, it serves it's purpose and has a nice hitch receiver on it too.

I'll just tell you my wishlist...

- a toothbar would be nice for digging with the FEL.

- a hitch receiver on my bucket would be handy for moving trailers

- a set of pallet forks would be great too

- and a box blade to maintain my driveway

#11 ·
I did include the jd ballast box. I’m not expecting any really heavy FEL jobs. Mostly sand, gravel for building walkways. I’m hoping to avoid fill the rear wheels as sometimes I need to mow some soft ground.
I also did include a iMatch.
A toothbar I’m still researching.
I debated on the third function. Decided how often it would be useful, ex with a grapple, the seldom need didn’t justify the cost.
A wheel spinner and battery tender are on my list, I just forgot to list them.
Thank you

#13 · (Edited)
I did include the jd ballast box. I’m not expecting any really heavy FEL jobs. Mostly sand, gravel for building walkways. I’m hoping to avoid fill the rear wheels as sometimes I need to mow some soft ground.
I also did include a iMatch.
A toothbar I’m still researching.
I debated on the third function. Decided how often it would be useful, ex with a grapple, the seldom need didn’t justify the cost.
A wheel spinner and battery tender are on my list, I just forgot to list them.
Thank you
A full bucket of gravel is pretty close to a 'max' load. 😁

Edit:
Some math behind the gravel weight:
1 Yard of gravel is Apx 2200lbs
27 Cu/Ft Per Yard
53" 1025 bucket holds 7.8Cu/Ft (3.46 buckets to a yard)
2200/3.46 = 635lbs
A heaping gravel bucket would likely be pushing 700lbs.

#12 ·
For your rear ballast, if you do decide to get a HH & suitcase weights, make sure & get the cart also. Makes life alot easier. It's nice way to store them & move them around.
Circuit component Automotive tire Gas Tire Flooring

#15 ·
Same thing..a yellow 5 gallon jug...I like the one I got from my dealer for $30 9 years ago...Someone posted one from TS,,If they offered a Single Point in 2012 I would have got it...just put one on and it is like having an "Easy Button".

You asked what else do I need? I'll suggest seat time.:cool:

#16 ·
#18 ·
You may want to get these too.

LVA16296 John Deere RH Adjustable Lift Link - LVA16296
Mount on the left side so you can pick 3 point attachments up about 2 inches higher

John Deere Compact Utility Tractor Seat Cover - LP68694
Seat cover is a must have item!

John Deere Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Warning-Light Brush Guard Kit - BLV10400
Highly recommended. They have saved my lights on multiple occasions.

John Deere 72-lb Cast Iron Rear Wheel Starter Weight - UC13499

If you have hills, you may want to look into wheel weights and spacers. Mine used to be tipsy but its so much better since i put on 1.4 inch spacers and the 72 lb iron weights.

You can get everything except the spacers from your dealer or through online sites like GreenPartStore - John Deere Parts and More - Parts for John Deere Lawn Tractors, John Deere Lawn & Garden Tractors, John Deere Mowers, John Deere Attachments, John Deere Accessories
or Green Farm Parts - John Deere Parts Catalog Online Store

Congrats on your new machine

#19 ·
Tires? Go Versa-turf

You need to use ballast always when using the loader. I used to think ‘I’ll use it periodically’ until I almost went over when teasing you some blackberries by the roots. I hooked an ash root and curled and the tractor came up and started to tilt fast. The front axle pivots left and right. You need enough weight so that hydraulic relief kicks in before the loader lifts you instead of an unseen, immovable object.

#20 ·
I have a 5' CountryLine tiller. The weight of it is 638 lb. So I would think that would be enough ballast with my 1025R / 120R, even with no wheel weights or liquid, yes?

I'm going down to sign the paperwork today and wasn't sure if I should add the BB or not. Since I don't have the 1025R yet, I'm not sure if the 5' tiller will be too large or bulky on the 1025R? I don't plan to use the tiller on the 1025R. I use it on my Ford 1700.

#28 ·
The weight is probably okay. Personally, I like the ballast box for loader work so that I’m not potentially whacking expensive equipment on anything if I take a turn wrong when operating in close corners. You could also go the heavy hitch + suitcase weights route, that hangs out even less than a ballast box.
If you think loader work will be periodic or minimal and there’s low risk for damage to you rear attachment, go for it. Personally, I only like to mount up attachments I’m gonna g to use to avoid any unintentional damage. The titan ballast box is mounted to my quick hitch probably about 40% of my tractor usage.

#21 ·
The 5 ft tiller would be a heavy enough ballast but the problem is at full lift height the tines are gonna be about 3 inches off the ground. It will drag if you transition over any inclines or hit any bumps.

#23 ·
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I'll go ahead and add the BB to the order. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but figured this was a recent thread and the topic of BBs came up.

Reactions: scooterman
#22 ·
Do you plan to do your own maintenance? Things like fluid and filter changes. If a major item comes up, what level of things will you tackle at home? If you plan to depend on the dealer, you will obviously need fewer tools, particularly specialty tools.

Make sure the dealer delivers the manuals for the tractor and mower along with the equipment. You can avoid asking questions that will get you "read the f** manual" responses. If you plan to do any major services you should consider buying the technical manuals for the tractor. I prefer having a printed manual myself, and bought my two volume set on ebay for about $50, but most is available to look at on line, and they are also available on DVDs.

You will be getting the new model of mower deck and mechanical lift mechanism introduced in 2020, so much of the setup and adjustment information already posted on GTT will not apply to your new equipment. Most of us have the old style. Since it is new, have the dealer demonstrate uninstall and re-install at delivery, and maybe even cut a swath of grass. It is new to dealer technicians too, so setup problems may happen. Make sure the height adjustment knob has complete range of movement. If not, make them set it up correctly right away.

Then sit back and let the GTT members help you spend your money.

#25 ·
Sorry if I didn't post the correct one. There are ones that work great - I have one.

#26 ·
Battery Powered Grease Gun....these machines have a lot of zirks and squeezing a trigger sure is easier than pumping a handle to produce the grease. Not only is it easier, its faster and eliminates any impediment to greasing often.......and if you do a lot of loader work, you should grease often.........

Main thing is try and select a brand of battery tools on which you can build off their platform. I would avoid any battery powered tools with "unique" batteries or chargers and stick with a well established brand that will support their products in the future. I like DeWalt and have a number of those.

Also, if you are shopping for battery tools, make sure to check out this source as they run some really good sales and specials which offer free batteries, free stand alone tools with the purchase of a tool with batteries and charger, etc.

#35 ·
Battery Powered Grease Gun....these machines have a lot of zirks and squeezing a trigger sure is easier than pumping a handle to produce the grease. Not only is it easier, its faster and eliminates any impediment to greasing often.......and if you do a lot of loader work, you should grease often.........

Main thing is try and select a brand of battery tools on which you can build off their platform. I would avoid any battery powered tools with "unique" batteries or chargers and stick with a well established brand that will support their products in the future. I like DeWalt and have a number of those.

Also, if you are shopping for battery tools, make sure to check out this source as they run some really good sales and specials which offer free batteries, free stand alone tools with the purchase of a tool with batteries and charger, etc.

Lube shuttle grease gun -- you will thank me later.

rob

#27 ·
You had asked about fueling solutions: "Fueling The Safe and Easy Way" This is what I did as well, thanks @SulleyBear
Not sure if you've got an Amex Platinum card, but they are running a promotion for ordering online at Home Depot - spend $50, get $50 in statement credits 2 times, before June 30th. I used this promotion to get 4 of the VP 5+ gallon containers (placed two orders 5 minutes apart) for 2 each, at $29.xx. Basically for about $20, got 4 of these fuel cans that now supplement my 3 PIA cans and the pump in the above linked thread works on both types of cans.

Also search diesel fuel treatment - another horse that has been beaten to beyond death, but it's recommended to always treat your diesel fuel, regardless of temp.

Edit: If you do have the Amex card, be sure to add the promotion to the card before purchasing.

Reactions: RoyW2 and ttazzman
#33 ·
Assuming close to equal weight, a ballast box puts weight a bit farther back than a suitcase weight rack. Farther back means more weight off the front axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.