Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My rear end has a whine to it. When the dealer dropped off my imatch, I asked him about it, and he said it’s normal, but I don’t know. There are only 21 hrs on it. I do not have the rear PTO engaged. I’ve never used it. The lever on the left is set to middle PTO and it’s not on either. I think it’s coming from the trans/hydro pump. The level on dipstick is full. Is this just normal sounds coming from my machine, or should I have them look at it?

John Deere 1025R rear whining noise - YouTube

·
Registered
374 Posts
All hydro's whine. It's how they function. If you want to clarify whether your's has a problem, or if it is normal, go to the dealer and listen to one on the lot.
Chances are, it is normal- this is a very common complaint from new owners, regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
As said, all hydro's whine. The sound in your video seems normal, BTW, the hydro pump is right there, above the rear PTO, so that noise of moving fluid whine is pretty normal in that area. The pump speed is linked to engine RPM, so increasing the throttle will change the whine pitch too.

As long as it's not a grinding noise, you're probably OK.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
773 Posts
It can be loud at times. If you are worried you could always do your 50 hour service early. Maybe a clean filter and suction screen might help some?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear hitch doesn’t affect it. Also it doesn’t whine until warmed up. Everything runs fine. I’ve researched other threads and it not one I found that comes close someone said pickup tube filter clogged. That would mean pump starved of fluid. But nothing has slowed not that I know anything, but a clogged filter on a pump usually means something got loose in there at low hours. Or it’s just a noisy pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just talked to service and he said run it and send video. It’s under warranty

Reactions: jdforever and kylew

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Seems louder than normal to me, I'd be interested in what the dealer says about it.

Reactions: WhiskeySixRadio

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 1026r had a whine that got steadily noiser over time. One day while mowing I was descending a slight incline, and all of the hydro braking resistance went away and sped down the hill. No fwd or reverse or deck raise/lower.

Charge pump was shot. It was replaced under warranty. (4 years ago). Make sure the dealer is aware that you don't think it sounds right. Yes they have a slight whine, but not a loud whine.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do. They definitely know I’m not happy with the way it sounds. I’ll grenade that sucker before it runs outta warranty

Reactions: tideace

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
Rear hitch doesn’t affect it. Also it doesn’t whine until warmed up. Everything runs fine. I’ve researched other threads and it not one I found that comes close someone said pickup tube filter clogged. That would mean pump starved of fluid. But nothing has slowed not that I know anything, but a clogged filter on a pump usually means something got loose in there at low hours. Or it’s just a noisy pump.

If the pick up tube was plugged, fluid wouldn't be pumping. No fluid pumping, no movement or very slow movement of the machine, the FEL, etc.

There isn't really a "pick up tube filter", there is a sump screen which the pick up tube draws fluid through. Its the same unit which has the magnet inside of it to attract the metal wear inside the assembly. It's number 20 in the illustration at the following link.........The magnet is 25 and the bolt which you have to make sure to have the correct 3/8" drive socket mounted Allen tool to remove is #23........

John Deere Parts Catalog

Does it make the same noise whether in High or Low, forward or reverse?

Does the noise happen with all RPM's and just get louder the harder the engine runs?

You said the noise isn't there until its warmed up. You should really make a video of the sound when you start and use it when the machine is cold to demonstrate the difference.

If down the road, you are reaching the end of the warranty and the noise is still a concern, you might want to purchase the extended warranty to protect against a big repair bill.............

I run a metal treatment product in my engine and hydro fluid and I personally think it makes the engine "diesel rattling" less and the hydro operation quieter. In fact, the Service Tech from the dealer even said he thought my Yanmar was "much quieter" than others.

Amazon.com: Prolong Super Lubricants PSL15000 Transmission Treatment - 8 oz.: Gateway

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the pick up tube was plugged, fluid wouldn't be pumping. No fluid pumping, no movement or very slow movement of the machine, the FEL, etc.

There isn't really a "pick up tube filter", there is a sump screen which the pick up tube draws fluid through. Its the same unit which has the magnet inside of it to attract the metal wear inside the assembly. It's number 20 in the illustration at the following link.........The magnet is 25 and the bolt which you have to make sure to have the correct 3/8" drive socket mounted Allen tool to remove is #23........

John Deere Parts Catalog

Does it make the same noise whether in High or Low, forward or reverse?

Does the noise happen with all RPM's and just get louder the harder the engine runs?

You said the noise isn't there until its warmed up. You should really make a video of the sound when you start and use it when the machine is cold to demonstrate the difference.

If down the road, you are reaching the end of the warranty and the noise is still a concern, you might want to purchase the extended warranty to protect against a big repair bill.............

I run a metal treatment product in my engine and hydro fluid and I personally think it makes the engine "diesel rattling" less and the hydro operation quieter. In fact, the Service Tech from the dealer even said he thought my Yanmar was "much quieter" than others.

Amazon.com: Prolong Super Lubricants PSL15000 Transmission Treatment - 8 oz.: Gateway
It makes the same noise whether in high low or reverse

It happens with all RPM’s and just gets louder the harder the engine runs

I have an extended warranty

I will try to get a cold and hot video.

After running it like that for a while after talking to the service manager yesterday, there wasn’t any change to the performance or sounds except a light vibration coming from under the floor under loads. I could feel it through my feet.

I don’t know. Seems like a capable little machine but I’m starting to wonder if I should have spent the extra money on a bigger tractor before I break this thing in half.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2019 1025R with six hours on it. It does not make that noise. I’ve only had it two weeks so it’s not an identical comparison. .

As others have said some hydros are noisier than others. My 3038E whines more than a family members 3038. Both are the same year and mine has less hours. It gets worse in high range. It doesn’t sound anything like your video though.

I would take it to the dealer and have it looked at

·
Registered
196 Posts
My rear end has a whine to it. When the dealer dropped off my imatch, I asked him about it, and he said it’s normal, but I don’t know. There are only 21 hrs on it. I do not have the rear PTO engaged. I’ve never used it. The lever on the left is set to middle PTO and it’s not on either. I think it’s coming from the trans/hydro pump. The level on dipstick is full. Is this just normal sounds coming from my machine, or should I have them look at it?

Mine has a high pitched rattle sound. Never figured it out. Doing it pretty much all the time now. Hasn't seemed to have affected anything, so far!

Rattle Sound after its been idle for little while - YouTube

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You haven't said and your signature is "blank".

Do you by chance have a PB kit on your tractor?

Are the lines hooked together if so?

This will cause a similar noise if the lines are not connected to each other OR plumbed through a back hoe or whatever.

This is true on a 955.......Your unit could be different and clearly is a different model.

Just tossing out another thought......Enjoy your evening..:cheers:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Sounds very good to me like it is supposed to sound.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You haven't said and your signature is "blank".

Do you by chance have a PB kit on your tractor?

Are the lines hooked together if so?

This will cause a similar noise if the lines are not connected to each other OR plumbed through a back hoe or whatever.

This is true on a 955.......Your unit could be different and clearly is a different model.

Just tossing out another thought......Enjoy your evening..:cheers:
No PBK. No backhoe. Only things I put on the rear end for now are the ballast box I made from scratch and a rear blade.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I have a 2017 which I'd think wouldn't make much difference of 2 years. I hear the whine also but it's no way near as loud as what you put in the video.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts