Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

New to posting but been lurking here for a couple years. I just put a down payment on a 1025R with the H120 and the 60" MMM. I haven't taken delivery yet and have been thinking I may ask my dealer if I can roll a couple of implements into the order and take advantage of the financing. At the same time, I've been reading a whole lot about the 60" mower and have seen quite a bit about the leveling and height issues that you see (especially when not adjusted properly).

I am buying this tractor because we just purchased a home in the country with around 3 acres. Much if it is sloped in one way or another. There are many trees and other obstacles.

Given all this - if you were me, would you elect for the 60" or forgo and get the 54" (which would theoretically give me a few more bucks to spend on a plow or the i-match hitch. Why?

As an aside, has John Deere made any changes to the deck suspension to address the issues folks have been noting for a couple years now? I think I'm getting a 2017 1025r so was hoping maybe they have made a few engineering changes to address the deck leveling/height issues.

Thanks for any input you can give folks!

·
Premium Member
14,906 Posts
For me I went back to 54" Happy as H_ _ _.. Hated the way my back yard looked using the 60".

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went with a 54" deck based on many comments about the cut quality issues with the 60" deck on slopes and uneven ground. The 54" cuts well but still doesn't cut as well as my 48" GT 235. I planned on selling it once I took delivery of my 1025r but have decided to keep it for mowing.

Unless your cutting big yards instead of small to medium sized lawns, I would go with the 54". To me there is a difference between a yard and a lawn. TIFWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the 60 and a rough sloped lawn. Left side really digs in, right side not as much. I bought a D130 with a 42" deck. Does the same thing, just more rows now.

The 60D is a much heavier duty than the 54. If it's just lawn, the 54" will do better. For me, I mow fields and trails and the construction of the 60D Justifies the nuisance of gouging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good input folks. Does anybody have any input on the integrity of the decks? I know the 60" is "7d" so theoretically should last longer? Do any of you folks who had both notice any difference in build quality between the 54 and 60?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the 60 inch on my 1025R, and had the 60 inch on the x748. My vote is for the 60 inch. Since the deck is bigger, any sway or angles are exaggerated more - so the scalping is a little worse on the 60. Scalping can be diminished I believe based on the direction of mowing on a slope, as well as adjustment of the antiscalp wheels.

What the 60 does for you is let you get in much closer to fences, trees, and any other obstacles - the deck sticks out much further from the tractor, so that the operator station does not have to be right on top of the edge of what you're mowing. Obviously a larger deck also means fewer passes. But my thought is the big advantage is being able to get in closer, and also leaves a smaller uncut circle, since the deck is bigger. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I do know the 60 inch can be a tight fit on some landscape trailers. Also the 1025R has plenty of torque to power the 60 inch deck under all conditions

Hello folks,

New to posting but been lurking here for a couple years. I just put a down payment on a 1025R with the H120 and the 60" MMM. I haven't taken delivery yet and have been thinking I may ask my dealer if I can roll a couple of implements into the order and take advantage of the financing. At the same time, I've been reading a whole lot about the 60" mower and have seen quite a bit about the leveling and height issues that you see (especially when not adjusted properly).

I am buying this tractor because we just purchased a home in the country with around 3 acres. Much if it is sloped in one way or another. There are many trees and other obstacles.

Given all this - if you were me, would you elect for the 60" or forgo and get the 54" (which would theoretically give me a few more bucks to spend on a plow or the i-match hitch. Why?

As an aside, has John Deere made any changes to the deck suspension to address the issues folks have been noting for a couple years now? I think I'm getting a 2017 1025r so was hoping maybe they have made a few engineering changes to address the deck leveling/height issues.

Thanks for any input you can give folks!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I like my 54" and have it for getting between tree, I like it and my yard/lawn has some pretty bad slopes. i have to say the smaller size doesn't bother me because i only get about an hour and a half of seat time, which I enjoy. Plus I have a lot of shade so it is both comfortable to be out on it and the lawn in summer only needs to be cut every few weeks. As opposed to the fall when i do leaves twice a week.

I can really appreciate the argument for both sizes, as far as durability goes? i'm guessing the 54" if kept inside and maintained will go 15 to 20 years, with only a weld job for when you whack something good. I have a 25 year old 48" deck that has only needed repair once. The 54D is better built than that WH 48"....

Best of luck on your new SCUT and your decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently took delivery of my new 1025r with the h120 and 54D MMM. I went back forth several times regarding the 54 vs. the 60 and finally decided on the 54. I had an x590 with 54" deck before that worked great. I mow about an acre and a half that is a little rough with several swales and shallow ditches. I mowed for the first time yesterday and am glad I went with the 54. I had some minor scalping here and there, but suspect once I level the deck all will be well. I have one spot between a fence and tree where the 54 just fits and the 60 wouldn't. Given all the 20 and 30 year decks still in use, I don't really see any durability issues arising with the 54, but I suppose only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I know there are many JD users that swear by their 54D and many swear by their 60D.
The biggest complaint you see concerning the 60D 7 iron is scalping. I have a 60D and I truly believe those that have scalping problems are lowering the MMM too far. and possibly do not have the deck set up correctly. Because the 60D is deep, there isn't much movement between totally raised and the 3" mowing height. I mow my lawn at 3" and my 60D does a fantastic job and my yard is extremely hilly.
Scalping will happen on any MMM if you mow over the crest of a hill or try to mow with the MMM too low.
Now, I have mine set up correctly and only lower it to the 3 on the height control which is a 3" cut height.
The 60D is a premier MMM. Set up correctly and if you mow at 3", this MMM is probably the best MMM built today.

54D Mower Type Mulch or Side Discharge
Cutting Blades 3
Overall Width 1.74 m (68.5 in.)
Overall Length 1.75 m (69 in.)
Cutting Height* 2.5-10.2 cm (1-4 in.)
Cutting Width 1.37 m (54 in.)
Mower Weight 89 kg (197 lb)
Blade Bolt Torque 68 N•m (50 lb-ft)
Gearbox Oil Capacity 136 ml (4.6 oz)
*May vary depending on tire size.
[h=3]60D[/h]Mower Type Mulch or Side Discharge
Cutting Blades 3
Overall Width 1.85 m (72.8 in.)
Overall Length 1.82 m (71.6 in.)
Cutting Width 1.52 m (60 in.)
Mower Weight 117 kg (258 lb)
Blade Bolt Torque 122 N•m (90 lb-ft)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know there are many JD users that swear by their 54D and many swear by their 60D.
The biggest complaint you see concerning the 60D 7 iron is scalping. I have a 60D and I truly believe those that have scalping problems are lowering the MMM too far. and possibly do not have the deck set up correctly. Because the 60D is deep, there isn't much movement between totally raised and the 3" mowing height. I mow my lawn at 3" and my 60D does a fantastic job and my yard is extremely hilly.
Scalping will happen on any MMM if you mow over the crest of a hill or try to mow with the MMM too low.
Now, I have mine set up correctly and only lower it to the 3 on the height control which is a 3" cut height.
The 60D is a premier MMM. Set up correctly and if you mow at 3", this MMM is probably the best MMM built today.

Cutting Blades 3
Cutting Blades 3
Fantastic responses all and I appreciate. Ray I only hope to someday have my 1025r outfitted as well as yours judging by the gear in your signature.

I'm gonna do a little more research but I am leaning back to the 60" because most of what I am cutting is less lawn and more weedy tougher stuff. I'm less concerned about occasional gouging and hopefully I can set it up correctly enough to get a decently level cut across the deck. Probably the other key decision point for me is that the deck sticks out a bit further allowing you to get closer to obstacles. There are a few places I won't fit with the 60" but I hope to get a smaller rear rotary brush mower eventually and can always use that in such places.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the last 1026r the dealer had when Deere switched to the 1025r. It has a 60" deck with hydraulic lift that is approaching 150hrs of use. It has performed flawlessly and never required any adjustment. The only real maintenance was changing the blades once. I mow a little over 3 acres. I wouldn't suggest anything but the 60" deck. I just wish I could have a 72" deck....... I also think the 60" deck is significantly easier to edge with.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I was in the same quandary as you. I finally opted for the 54. I just took delivery in March and the grass is just starting to turn green here. So I've yet to utilize it. I'm not mowing acres, or I'd keep a 455. I opted for the 54 for the sake of obstacles and getting between them. The 54 sticks out far enough where mowing up next to things will not be an issue, in my opinion.

I did notice the 60 deck has the 1/2 bar (or thereabouts) welded around the bottom perimeter of the deck, whereas the 54 doesn't. So with that, I'd think it would take more abuse if you have someone operating your machine with a poor attitude.

As to the scalp issues, member TimMarks who does the "Tractor Time with Tim" Youtube videos has a video describing and detailing how he installed a center anti-scalp roller to the front of the 54 deck and still maintains the drive over-autoconnect feature. I added the that to mine as soon as I unloaded it from the truck with some very minor revisions. I'm not sure if the same concept would work on the 60 deck or not.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I anguished over this decision, chose the 54D, then regretted it almost enough to take the loss trading it in used, decided to keep it, and now don't regret it at all. I mostly regretted not getting the "better" deck for just three or four hundred more.

Either deck will work fine. The 60" will get closer to things, the 54" will mow better over uneven ground. Neither will be "night and day" as compared to the other. The 60" is heavier and offers better "ballast" for mowing along slopes, but not much. The 60" is also slightly higher capacity, meaning there is more room over the blades and your cut quality will be better when moving at full speed in high. It can also survive colliding with rocks better than the 54D. But I think that's an absurd thing to worry about. Don't collide with rocks at high speed. Crash into them going slowly and you will be fine (I've done that with a deck thinner than the 54D and it didn't dent it). That sounds like a [email protected] thing to say, but if you're not sure about the area you're mowing, don't go full speed. Commercial decks are all 7 gauge or thicker because landscapers don't always know the land they are mowing intimately. If you're just mowing your own property, that should not be an issue.

But...I think the 54D is a better deck for me for one very important reason.

The 60D, being a higher capacity deck, is flat on top. Look at images on line. The 54D has a big depression in the middle where the spindles are and very small depressions around the spindles themselves, whereas the 60D is flat and only has relatively large depressions around the spindles (so it has more room for airflow). <---and that's the problem with it.

I had a deck with the same design (x758) and two things always happened. First, dirt and debris accumulated in the spindle area because of that depression, which essentially forms a cup around the spindle. Second, if you wash the tractor with the deck on, or wash the deck, water stays in those cups and it's hard to get it out without paper towels and elbow grease or lifting the deck with your loader or boom pole and letting it drain. I take those idiotic plastic spindle covers off all of my decks, and that helps a little bit by making it easier to clean/blow out debris. But the water...it stays, and stays and stays and is very hard to get rid off. Even blowing it out didn't work very well because it just went from one spindle cup into the other.

I don't like to not be able to wash the deck or the tractor without then having to get rid of water. I used to drive the x758 up a steep hill to get the water to drain after washing it. Pain the butt.

The 54D deck on the other hand...the depressions/cups around the spindles are very small, and neither water nor debris get trapped there. Not sure why...there are depressions there, but I guess they are too small to trap things. To some that may not matter, but to me it's a huge time/effort saver, not to mention that it will lead to longer deck/spindle life.

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
165 Posts

Cutting Blades 3
Cutting Blades 3
X2
Ron

·
Registered
165 Posts
I cut a little over 4 acres and had a JD LA175 with a 54" deck before I got the X758. It did a good job of cutting but was too much work for a lawn tractor. I got the 60" deck on the x758 and it cuts my farm grass not perfect lawn excellently. I was careful to set it up correctly and when finished mowing it looks like a golf course. I have hills and valleys and lot of mole tunnels and the results is great. I'm mowing at 2 3/4".
Ron

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have the 60D and once adjusted I haven't had trouble with it. It seems pretty nice and heavy duty except for the stupid made in China bearings so I keep those turds well greased.

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
837 Posts

Cutting Blades 3
Cutting Blades 3
I agree with Ray_pa I also have the 60" and have no problems with scalping and it sure is nice to be able to see exactly where my deck is while I'm mowing. I can usually get within a couple of inches of everything which eliminates a lot of trimming. I mow about 4 acres in about 3.5 hours.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well. I went a different way all together to get a top quality cut.. Not everyone's cup of tea but I dumped the mid mount altogether for a 60" rear grooming mower and it's the nicest cut I've ever had. It's Quieter with the mower behind me and no grass blowing to one side and all over me and the tractor when it's windy. cleaning is a breeze also. Just raise the 3pt to scrape and clean and done. All of this said and specific to choosing between the 54" & the 60". I had the 54D and it was a good unit. It cut nice enough and the auto connect system was flawless in my experience.. It scalped now and then due to no anti scalp wheel on the front and I never could get it completely level but close enough. I've said it before when this question comes up. You have to remember. These machines are not mowers. They are tractors that can mow. If you want an absolutely perfect cut. You need a zero turn or purpose built lawn tractor. Or like in my case, a quality rear groomer. The MMM for these machines are really nice and you won't be making a mistake with either one. Pick one. Slap it on, put your beverage of choice in the cup holder and enjoy!.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats on the new :greentractorride: and welcome to the fray that is GTT. Lot of information on this forum from some really good people. I only mow 2/3 of an acre with my 1025R, 60" deck. If I could have got a 62" I'm pretty sure I would have. My other JD is a 345, 54" deck, so that's all I have to compare. I think the 60" deck leaves a nice cut. My ground isn't perfect, as we got in a hurry finishing a add on and never got to prep as would have liked. I do know my neighbors compliment often on how well it cuts. I'm quite sure, or at least hope, which ever way you go you will enjoy the new tractor. They are not perfect, so few things are, but they are sure fun and handy to have. Lots of people here willing to help you spend your :gizmo:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts