Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excited to have my first tractor! I got tired of dealing with disposable "garden tractors" from Lowes/HomeDepot and upgraded to a 1025R with a loader and belly mower. I'm mostly going to use it to cut my grass on a few acres and haul dirt/mulch around. I'm an avid gear head and do it yerselfer so I'm looking forward to using and maintaining such a nice bit of equipment and learning tips and tricks to make things more enjoyable. This was literally the last one the local dealer had.

Best,

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,960 Posts
Welcome to GTT from SE PA!! Congrats on the new tractor!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Welcome from southern ky!

dont forget to pick up a ballast box or heavy hitch with suitcase weights. A tractor is very unstable without counterweight for the front loader

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts

dont forget to pick up a ballast box or heavy hitch with suitcase weights. A tractor is very unstable without counterweight for the front loader
X2
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
945 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. The next best thing to a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Welcome from NW SD.

rob

·
Registered
2020 1025R
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I had them fill the back tires with "ballast." Is that not enough? Normally, the loader won't even be attached. I probably should have asked them what they fill them with.

Best,

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Welcome from mid Michigan

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Short answer: NO.

Longer answer: Read the manual that came with the loader for minimum recommended ballast.
Also read this thread: What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it?

Welcome to GTT
Interesting. That's a bit disappointing since I wasn't pinching pennies and would have bought the ballast if the sales critter had simply suggested I do so. I've never had a machine with a loader before. I'll have to put that on my shopping list for this weekend.

Any recommendations for a good setup? Any reason to prefer a ballast box vs heavy hitch with suitcase weights? I care less about cost and more about ease of use for those times when I'll have the loader attached.

Best,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome from north central Ohio. Enjoy your new tractor!!!
I have a ballast box, and it works fine for my needs. But I got a good deal on the box and the ballast I put in the box was free. I think if I had to pay I would've gotten a HH bracket with suitcase weights from a ground clearance perspective.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Hi Ritz
Welcome to GTT

·
Registered
339 Posts
I Any reason to prefer a ballast box vs heavy hitch with suitcase weights? I care less about cost and more about ease of use for those times when I'll have the loader attached.
Welcome to GTT!

....Just a ton of $$$ difference. You can get a ballast box for a couple of hundred bucks. Be prepared to spend several multiples of that for mounting hardware, weights and cart. The weights are more flexible and take up less room, but the price per pound can be a bit much.
If cost is not a consideration, then get the weights. Just keep in mind, you will most likely want other attachments down the road, it all adds up. That is my $.02, no pun intended.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Welcome from NE Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats on your new tractor.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,340 Posts
Welcome to GTT

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

I am on this journey too...2 weeks out for my 2025r. I purchased a Ballast box and plan to put some of my existing weights in or on (secured) it. You may want to check craigslist, etc. for weights. Old rusty weights are easy to sand blast, prime, and paint. As long as they are whole, there is not much which can "go wrong" with weights, i.e. no moving parts. The only problem I have with some of mine (250 lb. each wheel weights) is that they are almost impossible to move alone.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts