Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm awaiting the arrival of my 1026R this week and want to be prepared to get right into it. So what is the preferred method of storing fuel for your machines? Does everyone simply use the 5 gal. yellow plastic cans or is there a better method for storage and dispensing from a larger barrel? Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I generally just used Diesel 5Gal cans. But, depending on what all you are going to do with the tractor in the begging, it might not hurt to have a few cans full just for good measure. These things seem to find things for you to do and if your not watching, the fuel can run out and you become sad that you have to stop until you get more fuel.. :laugh:

Oh and ,, :wgtt:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I find it almost as easy to put the tractor on the trailer and go to the local station with pink diesel and fill it that way. I HATE using the can. With our huge fill lid we can use the outside pump with the big nozzle. Only difference is the bill when you are done filling. Much better than when I fill up the big ones. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
God, I envy you on your new purchase and I'm sure............

................you'll love it! As far as fuel, I've stuck with the Five Gallon Yellows! That said, we use our 4200 a lot! But with diesel, it seems to be a "fuel mizer"! I will say that I'm thinking of looking hard and long, at that modification to these Yellow cans with the Valve stem and handle modifications, that have previouslly been posted. I've never spilled as much fuel as I have with these Gonernment mandated vessels...........................~Scotty

PS- I have found, that you don't want to run a Diesel out of fuel...............

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Good point Scotty

PS- I have found, that you don't want to run a Diesel out of fuel...............
Some of the newer diesels (like the common rail injected ones) aren't as bad as the "old school" diesels. In fact some don't need to be bled of air at all. :yahoo: Still a good idea to never run one out of fuel. None of the injection pumps or high pressure pumps like to be run dry. :good2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
................you'll love it! As far as fuel, I've stuck with the Five Gallon Yellows! That said, we use our 4200 a lot! But with diesel, it seems to be a "fuel mizer"! I will say that I'm thinking of looking hard and long, at that modification to these Yellow cans with the Valve stem and handle modifications, that have previouslly been posted. I've never spilled as much fuel as I have with these Gonernment mandated vessels...........................~Scotty

Some of the newer diesels (like the common rail injected ones) aren't as bad as the "old school" diesels. In fact some don't need to be bled of air at all. :yahoo: Still a good idea to never run one out of fuel. None of the injection pumps or high pressure pumps like to be run dry. :good2:
I can personally attest to that awful, why wasn't I paying attention feeling when you run her dry :banghead:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,095 Posts
I keep a 6 gallon container, when it's empty I refill it. A full tank in the tractor and a 6 gallon container full is a lot of fuel.

Reactions: Carvel Loafer

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you friendly helpful forum members make an effort to keep the fuel tank clean to keep it dry and condensate-free?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,095 Posts
Do you friendly helpful forum members make an effort to keep the fuel tank clean to keep it dry and condensate-free?
Not me.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,095 Posts
Not me! LOL!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Do you keep the fuel tank FULL to keep it dry and condensate-free?
Yes . . . especially in the winter.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
unlike the 2320's....my 2520 makes diesel. I have to siphon it off constantly. So...yes,my tank stays full....no condensation. Actually....I think condensation is impossible in Texas anyways.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
unlike the 2320's....my 2520 makes diesel. I have to siphon it off constantly. So...yes,my tank stays full....no condensation. Actually....I think condensation is impossible in Texas anyways.
rgd:

Do you siphon into a five gallon can or do you use it enough that you have to use a 55 gallon drum? I bought a 2320 so I wouldn't have to siphon. I got too many mouth fulls of gas when I was a kid.

Don

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
rgd:

Do you siphon into a five gallon can or do you use it enough that you have to use a 55 gallon drum? I bought a 2320 so I wouldn't have to siphon. I got too many mouth fulls of gas when I was a kid.

Don
about 5 gallons a day into 55 gallon drum:laugh:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just received my 1026R, and I purchased the 5 gallon No-Spill diesel can, and I have to say that it is VERY nice! Works awesome! Picked mine up from amazon from a company called OZBO. Amazon said 1-3 months before it would be shipped, so I was unable to use my Prime account shipping advantage.

Jon

·
Registered
31 Posts
I keep em in 5 gallon yellow diesel containers. Just got mine but I plan on keeping 4 of them. When down to 1, refill the empty 3 and just keep a rotation system going. I’ve thought about some larger containers with a battery operated pump but until I know how much I’m going to regularly use I’ll just use the 5 gallon containers. Plus when I get more confident with it I’ll have the containers to take with to go help out a friend or neighbor if needed.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I like to be specific. I use Eagle steel yellow cans. They are easy to pour with, and they pour fast with or without the funnel. Great cans that can be trusted.

Reactions: WNYhomesteader
1 - 20 of 56 Posts