Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like to be specific. I use Eagle steel yellow cans. They are easy to pour with, and they pour fast with or without the funnel. Great cans that can be trusted.

I’m using the ones with the funny push down nozzles. I hated them at first but they work awesome to just put the downspout right into the tank. Push the top of the nozzle down and put it comes without tryin to have to fiddle around with a funnel.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I use 3 5gallon yellow cans/jugs and top off the tank all the time. I have been using an additive due to knowledge and help from the guys here. I always try to make sure I keep enough fuel around just in case. If it snows, I also help my sister and neighbors.

Reactions: WNYhomesteader

·
Registered
82 Posts
One 5 gallon yellow can ,,when I pour it into the tractor ,I get in the truck and refill it the next day , only 3 miles to gas station that sells diesel. The road is way to busy to drive my tractor down it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 1026r and I am simply AMAZED with how much work I can do with the little 5 gallon fuel tank. I have gotten extremely lucky that I have not ran it out yet. I got extremely close once. I was having a panick attack hopeing that I would make back to my garage. Cause most deffineatly you never want to run a diesel out of fuel, takes extra time to get it running again on top of its not good at all for fuel pumps. I just use the 5 gallon diesel cans and I run power service to keep the fuel fresh for shelf life purposes, kicks out any moisture, helps prevent gelling (colder climates), and it cleans the fuel system. So win win. To make filling easier, first throw our that junky push nozzle crap that the new cans come with, get your self one of those "aftermarket" nozzles, the good ones come with a cap for the nozzle and a vent that you will have to drill a hole for in the can, second get a large mouth funnel (for closed station tractors) and away you go it will only take a min or two to fill and you wont spill a drop! Unless your tired, you zone out and you end up over filling it! Im not confirming nor denying that I may have done that. 🤫

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2006 2305, that has the filler cap on top of the hood.

I acquired a 55 gal. drum, took it to my local co-op filled it full of off-road diesel and unloaded from my pick up with the FEL.

Bought a electric pump, came with a 10' hose and nozzle.

I pull up next to my shed and fill like I'm at the gas station.

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
I just use one five gallon fuel can, the yellow kind without a vent on the can but built into the nozzle. I cut the end off the nozzle to make the opening bigger and it pours at a reasonable rate. I usually run the tank almost to about half, fill it when I think about it, two times of this uses the fiver of fuel which is about 10-15 hours use +- depending what I am doing. Then I put the additive in the empty can and put it in the truck. I'm sure to be near the filling station before the next 10 hours of tractor use. I don't run it enough to store more fuel than that, I run about 100 hours per year, so a trip to the filling station every month or so isn't unreasonable for my purpose.

All that said, I do have an electric pump on my Amazon gift wish list, we'll see if one shows up at Christmas this year, :)

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
All that said, I do have an electric pump on my Amazon gift wish list, we'll see if one shows up at Christmas this year, :)
Join the GTT Secret Santa program and the options are even higher the pump might show up......I haven't seen you around on GTT lately, glad to see you back. Maybe I am just hanging out in the wrong threads.......which is very possible.

2020 Secret Santa link for your sign up ease..... ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Even 8 year old threads show back up every now and then to keep on giving information to GTT Members.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got a 50 gallon square tank with a hand pump works good for me

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
253 Posts
The 1025R's tank is beside the seat; so easier to get a 5 gallon container up there to put a syphon it to get the majority of it out before lifting to drain it.

On the 4010 and 2025R, one has to first lift to sit the container on top the brake pedals and then hoist it to the hood. Then use a hand squeege syphon to get most of it out.

Lately, I'd taken to doing 2 gallons at a time from my generator's tank to take its level down to freshen the fuel. With them, one can just lift up and pour.

Lots of other ways. Search on tractorbynet for all of them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a 2 1/2 gallon yellow fuel can? Not metal but plastic? Two of those would be easier to manage than one 5 gallon can. And my 2025 needs to be empty to fit a full five gallons.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a 2 1/2 gallon yellow fuel can? Not metal but plastic? Two of those would be easier to manage than one 5 gallon can. And my 2025 needs to be empty to fit a full five gallons.
Tractor Supply or Amazon.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Reactions: Roger47

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
You could always use 5-gallon containers and only fill them half way. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
The one's I've seen are metal and pricey.
My 2025 owners manual says to not store diesel in galvanized metal cans because the diesel can react with it and harm your fuel system. I’d prefer to have the metal cans. I have a few metal gas cans that were my parents’, probably 50 years old and going strong.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
My 2025 owners manual says to not store diesel in galvanized metal cans because the diesel can react with it and harm your fuel system. I’d prefer to have the metal cans. I have a few metal gas cans that were my parents’, probably 50 years old and going strong.
There have been quite a few discussions on this. Most metal cans are not bare metal inside.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You may want to consider keeping your tractor tank "topped up," as that helps to prevent/reduce condensation in the tank. Some sort of fuel transfer pump may be in your future.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts