Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
You may want to consider keeping your tractor tank "topped up," as that helps to prevent/reduce condensation in the tank. Some sort of fuel transfer pump may be in your future.
I keep it topped off after using it. Smaller cans would make this easier without having to have a pump. If I leave a 5 gallon can partially empty that’s like not having the tank topped off with condensation problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I understand that for some of you out there you go through enough fuel for a large fuel storage tank to be sitting in your yard. However for most of us we do not go through enough tractor use to validate a lawn ornament fuel barrel, and its the same concept as fuel gets stale sitting around for too long. Also if you dont have a fuel company to fill said barrel than your back to one of many 5 gallon cans instead of one. And I think this thread originally started as someone filling a 1025r not a 4010 or a 3038 most of us here that have a scut or even a smaller cut are using it for consumer type yard work or a small garden not commercial or farming. Sounds like we have some people here that just want to brag instead of being helpful.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I keep it topped off after using it. Smaller cans would make this easier without having to have a pump. If I leave a 5 gallon can partially empty that’s like not having the tank topped off with condensation problems.
Yes and no, depending. I use this. FLO-FAST ™ Official Site - Shop - Professional 10 Gallon System The jugs are sealed as long as you keep the caps on. They will not breathe. A container that is open to atmosphere will breathe with temperature changes. Your tractor fuel cap is vented and allows this. By keeping it full when not in use, there is little chance of ambient air and the moisture it contains being drawn into the tank as it cools down. The jugs in the FLO-FAST system can expand and contract as necessary and do not draw the ambient air in (and out) with temperature changes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Looks nice but pricey for the 30-40 gallons of fuel I use each year.
It was, but I suffer from low back issues and lifting 5 gallons of Diesel to pour in the tank ain't happenin'. I do not recall what I paid but I'm sure it wasn't that much in March 2018 when I got it.

As I noted elsewhere, I can turn the pump backwards and pull fuel out of the tractor into the jug, as long as the end of the hose is below the fuel level.

·
Administrator
19,251 Posts
Sounds like we have some people here that just want to brag instead of being helpful.
Really? I haven't read one post like that.

Reactions: Xesike and MattL

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2006 2305, that has the filler cap on top of the hood.

I acquired a 55 gal. drum, took it to my local co-op filled it full of off-road diesel and unloaded from my pick up with the FEL.

Bought a electric pump, came with a 10' hose and nozzle.

I pull up next to my shed and fill like I'm at the gas station.
I've got a 50 gallon square tank with a hand pump works good for me
All I am saying is for most of us we only use about 5 to 15 gallons a month, if that. I only go through about 10 to 15 gallons a month during spring, summer, fall, and during the winter I only use it for snow removal. Which at that point there might be a month or two that I use zero gallons and the other winter months its only about 5 to 10 gallons per month. So if thats the case, than a 55 gallon fuel barrel would not be feasible nor a good idea as the remaining fuel that is sitting in there is slowly breaking down over time which is going to lead to fuel system and/or engine problems down the road. Always a very wise idea to maintain your equipment for safety, reliability and longevity.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a gasoline (red) 5 gallon Sure Can that I like. Considering the purchase of a Diesel (yellow) Sure Can. However my current Diesel cans are No-Spill brand.

·
Registered
24,102 Posts
It was, but I suffer from low back issues and lifting 5 gallons of Diesel to pour in the tank ain't happenin'.
Not only lifting the jugs to fill the tractor - my fuel tank is up on the hood. The other issue for me is lifiting the 5 gallon jugs into the back of the pickup when full. I can do it but will kill my elbows and shoulders for days afterward.

I can unload them at home with my forks but that doesn‘t help me at the gas station. You aren’t allowed to fill gas cans in the back of your truck.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not only lifting the jugs to fill the tractor - my fuel tank is up on the hood. The other issue for me is lifting the 5 gallon jugs into the back of the pickup when full. I can do it but will kill my elbows and shoulders for days afterward.

I can unload them at home with my forks but that doesn‘t help me at the gas station. You aren’t allowed to fill gas cans in the back of your truck.
When filling my 4200, I put a towel on the hood to keep from scratching it. The No-Spill is nice once it is on the hood. I agree...5 gallons is about all I want to lift. A larger transfer pump/tank would be nice but still need to refill it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If that day comes for me where I can no longer lift a 5 gallon can than I will either go to the station after hours when nobody is around and just fill the cans in the back of my truck, cause they dont look at camera feed unless theres a problem, or I will get a transfer tank for my truck which is a diesel so if there is any fuel that is just sitting in the tank I can just pump it into the truck. Cause the biggest problem that we are running into today is that they dont make fuel like they used to. Diesel fuel is now made with a mixture of basically vegetable oil and the problem with that is it can cause a fungus to grow in diesel fuel that is just sitting around. I always run power service additive in all of my diesel equipment to help with moisture issues, gelling issues, and to help with the shelf life of it sitting in the tank to prevent that fungus growth. That fungus growth gums up fuel systems and will hinder the performance of your diesel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All I am saying is for most of us we only use about 5 to 15 gallons a month, if that. I only go through about 10 to 15 gallons a month during spring, summer, fall, and during the winter I only use it for snow removal. Which at that point there might be a month or two that I use zero gallons and the other winter months its only about 5 to 10 gallons per month. So if thats the case, than a 55 gallon fuel barrel would not be feasible nor a good idea as the remaining fuel that is sitting in there is slowly breaking down over time which is going to lead to fuel system and/or engine problems down the road. Always a very wise idea to maintain your equipment for safety, reliability and longevity.
if you treat your fuel with a good treatment (howes) it should be ok I use about 50 gallons every 6 months or so

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm thinking that I topped up my 1025, then filled up my two 5 gal jugs. Now, it came to me that winter is approaching and I likely didn't get winter blend. I got some of the diesel fuel supplement (white bottle), but everything's topped up! I'm sure it'll work out.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Join the GTT Secret Santa program and the options are even higher the pump might show up......I haven't seen you around on GTT lately, glad to see you back. Maybe I am just hanging out in the wrong threads.......which is very possible.

2020 Secret Santa link for your sign up ease..... ;)

Thanks Sulley, I check in most every day but I know I don't comment as much. Soon to retire, things will be different then I hope. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tend to error on the side of caution, why push it when you dont need to. For the amount of money that is spent on JD tractors and equipment, its not worth the risk. I wouldnt trust todays diesel that has been sitting for over a month additive free and with additives not more than 2 months time. We just have crappy diesel here in the US. I have been running diesel vehicles now for about 5 years and I can instantly tell when the vehicle hasnt ran in a while and the diesel has sat too long in the tank. I know tractors are a little different critter but they are not indestructable either.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I found a 48 gallon transfer tank and electric pump on FaceBook for $275. I strapped it to a palate, and made a rolling cart for the palate out of wood. Fork into truck, fill, and fork onto cart. I use a vexliar battery to power the pump and can empty the tank twice on one charge. For me this is the nicest setup. I burn through that fuel in 1.5 months or so.

With that amount of storage, find a station that sells #2 off road. Locally I can buy it without biodiesel. In the winter switch to #1 and add additive. I would also recommend an in line filter. Fuel cans suck after you have a hose and pump.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts