Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised, here is my story (with pics) of the backwards seat on my new 1026R.

The 260 backhoe comes with a new seat base frame that rotates 180 degrees. My dealer installed it, but when I was sitting on the tractor (driving side) I had to move the seat all the way forward to reach the pedals. Even with it fully forward I had a hard time pushing the pedals all the way down, especially hard to set the parking brake. What was funny was putting the seat all the way back, I couldn't even reach the pedals, I felt like a little kid on a big bike.

I haven't put in any BH time yet, but after swiveling the seat, it seemed to feel OK facing the BH. After swiveling the seat about 10 times, I noticed that the seat moves up and back in one direction and lowers and moves forward in the other.

To make a long story short, the seat was installed backwards on the frame. If you look at the pics, those silver "cams/levers" raises, lowers and re-positions the seat when the seat is rotated. The incorrect mounting had the seat up and pushed back when facing forward, unbolting the seat and reversing solved the problem.

My ruler pics show about a 4" difference in seat location, I couldn't show the 2" increase in height with the 4" further back.

On the other hand, if you are really tall (my guess is over 6'4" or more?) and need extra leg room, reversing the seat may be the solution at least facing forward. Not sure how the backhoe side would be affected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I'm not a candidate for a backhoe but do find it interesting that you were able to trouble shoot this situation and come up with appropriate corrective action. Quite a nice job of diagnosing the problem and coming up with a really good solution.

You were obviously more interested in correcting the problem than your dealer. I believe you should chastise him severely at the first opportunity . . . :bash:

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a candidate for a backhoe but do find it interesting that you were able to trouble shoot this situation and come up with appropriate corrective action. Quite a nice job of diagnosing the problem and coming up with a really good solution.

You were obviously more interested in correcting the problem than your dealer. I believe you should chastise him severely at the first opportunity . . . :bash:
Thanks Ralph. In regards to my dealer, He's OK, and if I had brought this to his attention, he'd get it fixed. I got my 1026R yesterday, and discovered my problem after the dealer had closed for the weekend. In all fairness, this is only the 2nd 1023E/1026R they've sold, and interestingly both had backhoes.

This was an easy fix, but I'll let my dealer know, not to chastise, but to educate. Who know's maybe the other tractor they sold has the same problem.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
This was an easy fix, but I'll let my dealer know, not to chastise, but to educate. Who know's maybe the other tractor they sold has the same problem.
:empathy3: Well said. Your way is best. I tend to overreact . . . time for :morning2:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
It's still kinda fun to tinker with the new machine even though delivered not quite right. Helps you learn how it all is supposed to work. Thanks for the post, good info.

·
Registered
67 Posts
... the seat was installed backwards on the frame. If you look at the pics, those silver "cams/levers" raises, lowers and re-positions the seat when the seat is rotated. The incorrect mounting had the seat up and pushed back when facing forward, unbolting the seat and reversing solved the problem. ... if you are really tall (my guess is over 6'4" or more?) and need extra leg room, reversing the seat may be the solution at least facing forward.
I am on the tall side, have no BH, and would love to get a little more leg room. Your idea much appreciated. The seat mountings on my 1026R appear simpler than those in your photos, and are oriented to put the seat back Do they install a new seat when you get the BH? If I could get a little more room, it might be worth swapping.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am on the tall side, have no BH, and would love to get a little more leg room. Your idea much appreciated. The seat mountings on my 1026R appear simpler than those in your photos, and are oriented to put the seat back Do they install a new seat when you get the BH? If I could get a little more room, it might be worth swapping.
It's the same seat, but the BH comes with a rotating seat frame that swaps or adds to the original frame. I'm not sure how the original set frame looked or fit, the dealer did the change before delivery, but the installation manual indicates the standard mounting is much simpler. Sorry I can't help you there, and I'm not sure how to get the rotating seat frame.

One additional thought, my seat simply mounts with 4 short bolts, the BH instructions seem to indicate the regular seat mounts with only 2. Either 2 or 4, if you made a plate with about 1/4" steel with holes to mount to the seat and another set offset by the distance you need to add and bolt that to the frame, you can move the seat further back (or closer for those of shorter stature).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seat in forward and BH positions

I would also be very interested in seeing a picture with the seat rotated to the BH position. just for interest sake. :good2:
In my other thread, I got this request, so here are the pics of the seat in both positions and some closer shots. I didn't move the seat for either position, and it's probably at almost fully forward position.

Sorry, they are night shots, my regular job keeps me in the dark until the weekends.:laugh:

If anyone wants closer shots, let me know.

Attachments

Reactions: Sawdust

·
Registered
67 Posts
... if you made a plate with about 1/4" steel with holes to mount to the seat and another set offset by the distance you need to add and bolt that to the frame, you can move the seat further back (or closer for those of shorter stature).
Good idea - thanks!

One of the many things I like about tractors is that slapping a few pounds of iron anywhere near the back or middle is usually a Good Thing. Not like bicycles and helicopters, where the grams add up fast. I remember as a child looking at a Cat D9 and wondering why the maintenance crews had done such an apparently un-slick job with some plate replacements. My older brother explained that the work wasn't sloppy; they just wanted a few more tons of traction and stability handing around the beast.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
It's still kinda fun to tinker with the new machine even though delivered not quite right. Helps you learn how it all is supposed to work. Thanks for the post, good info.
I agree with this 100%.

I enjoy making the little adjustments. It makes it more my machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.