Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 155 lawn tractor last fall. I bought some mulching blades to put on it this spring. I removed the deck and when I try to take the blades off they do not move. I've even tried with my drill and a socket adapter. :banghead: I'm at a loss and will have to take it to a shop unless anyone here has a good idea for me. Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
A 155? What exact model do you have? The bolts can be very tight initially. Are you blocking the blades with a piece of wood so they cannot turn? It sometimes requires a breaker bar or an impact gun. I doubt just using a drill/socket will bust them loose.

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Head to harbor freight and get their 2', 1/2"drive breaker bar! If that does not work, get a 1/2" drive impact.

Also righty tighty, LEFTY LOOSEY :laugh:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My snap on impact sometimes won't break them loose. I use a 4x4 block, a 1/2 good breaker bar and a 1 inch x 2 foot pipe added to the end. Make sure you position the block so it doesn't slip out and isn't going to bend something important. It works every time but can be a little dangerous especially if the blades are sharp. Don't ask me how I know. :banghead:

·
Registered
22,765 Posts
My snap on impact sometimes won't break them loose. I use a 4x4 block, a 1/2 good breaker bar and a 1 inch x 2 foot pipe added to the end. Make sure you position the block so it doesn't slip out and isn't going to bend something important. It works every time but can be a little dangerous especially if the blades are sharp. Don't ask me how I know. :banghead:
How much are you torquing the bolts?

For the OP’s deck it calls for 42 ft lbs.

Even for my 62D deck it calls for only 90 ft lbs - easy enough with an 18” breaker bar.

I see in your signature you have a 54D deck - that calls for 50 ft lbs. You shouldn’t need a 2’ cheater pipe for that.

And yes - I realize the blades can tighten a little on their own but I have never needed more than an 18” breaker bar - and I’m weak!

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
It sounds like you could benefit from a little dab of anti-seize on those bolts. My blade bolts get torqued to 50 ft-lbs and my Milwaukee cordless impact loosens the bolt in about 1-sec.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm talking about buying something that some ape has manhandled completely past the torque specs and I've even had issues on factory bolts also. I think the factory uses some type of thread locker or has on some. I've had to use my gorilla tactics on brand new tractors too. After I've put them back I've had no issues.

·
Registered
22,765 Posts
I'm talking about buying something that some ape has manhandled completely past the torque specs and I've even had issues on factory bolts also. I think the factory uses some type of thread locker or has on some. I've had to use my gorilla tactics on brand new tractors too. After I've put them back I've had no issues.
I can see that happening. While not on my tractor I have been subject to one of those manhandling apes with my truck......

·
Registered
715 Posts
Impact wrenches are pretty ineffective if there is any give in the work piece. Even adding a couple of extensions can add enough slop to render them useless. On a mower blade this is especially apparent. You have to keep the blade from moving. A block of wood wedged into the discharge or the creative use of a couple of vise grips and angle iron usually does the trick.

Since I never take the deck off my ZTR, fitting whatever tool under the mower while laying on the garage floor is usually the big challenge.

Al

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
Since I never take the deck off my ZTR, fitting whatever tool under the mower while laying on the garage floor is usually the big challenge.
I haven't removed the mower deck to clean it or change blades since getting one of these:

Mo-jack.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
IM having the same problem on my 54" deck from my x495. Ive got the deck off and leaning up against the wall for easy access. Tried breaking them loose with my Milwaukee 1/2 cordless impact gun and they are laughing at it. Time to pull out the breaker bar and steel pipe!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
You need an assault ratchet...
assault ratchet.jpg

All kidding aside, I had trouble with the nuts on my murray 624. I ended up using a 1/2" air impact. With an impact, you generally can just grab hold of the blade (wear gloves) and hit it with the impact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts