Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just thought I'd join up and say hey. I just recently bought a 316 Lawn Tractor; I had a John Deere Saber, well still do, but plan on selling it. I have rooted around on this site for a couple weeks, but am now more motivated to join because it is giving me fits. I will find the appropriate posting place, or try, and reach out to the masses for your wise wisdom.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
:wgtt:

There were two different 316 garden tractors made, one in 1978 and had a 16 hp Kohler engine with dual hydraulics and turning brakes. Then a newer one based on the legendary 318 that had a Onan twin cylinder engine (16 hp on the earlier ones and 18 hp on the later ones). That 316 was made from 1984 to 1992, had single hydraulics and no turning brakes. Notice I called the 316 a "garden" tractor as both versions were capable of handling ground engaging equipment and both offered 3 point hitches as option, (the 316 Kohler also had an integral (sleeve) hitch as an option).

You will find underneath our Vintage L&G section, the Hydrostatic Drive forum which is where both 316s belong for discussions. Again, welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

There were two different 316 garden tractors made, one in 1978 and had a 16 hp Kohler engine with dual hydraulics and turning brakes. Then a newer one based on the legendary 318 that had a Onan twin cylinder engine (16 hp on the earlier ones and 18 hp on the later ones). That 316 was made from 1984 to 1992, had single hydraulics and no turning brakes. Notice I called the 316 a "garden" tractor as both versions were capable of handling ground engaging equipment and both offered 3 point hitches as option, (the 316 Kohler also had an integral (sleeve) hitch as an option).

You will find underneath our Vintage L&G section, the Hydrostatic Drive forum which is where both 316s belong for discussions. Again, welcome to GTT.
Well, very good; you have already be an wealth of information. Mine must be a 1978, it has the 16hp Kohler and front and rear hydraulics. I have no clue about what you mean by turning brakes though. My came with a 48" cut, mower and a 36" tiller attachment. I paid a lot for it, likely too much. I should have snooped around here a bit before buying, it was more of an impulse thing. I will make my way to the Vintage L&G section - thank you.

·
Administrator
20,678 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,438 Posts

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
I have no clue about what you mean by turning brakes though.
Turning brakes, AKA Split brakes are a means of controlling the two rear brakes independently, there will be two pedals on the right floorboard:

JD 316.jpg

They aid in steering when the front wheels are light (from a heavy load on the rear) or are slipping in the snow. There is a little lever that will lock them together also if you wish to.

Oh, and:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turning brakes, AKA Split brakes are a means of controlling the two rear brakes independently, there will be two pedals on the right floorboard:

View attachment 32007

They aid in steering when the front wheels are light (from a heavy load on the rear) or are slipping in the snow. There is a little lever that will lock them together also if you wish to.

Oh, and:
AHHH yes - yes it does have that, I always called them "its got a brake for each side" brakes; turning brakes is much easier. I think I'll use that if nobody cares.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Premium Member
14,717 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

·
Super Moderator