Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read they spec's on the new Ram? More power with a mileage jump that is always a bonus. Plus they really must have done something with soot to boast a 15000 mile oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
My mom's 2010 SS Camaro has 10,000 mile oil changes. It also takes 8 or 9 quarts of Mobile 1. Pretty $$ when you have to change it, but I assume not doing it every 3k miles helps cut cost.

Personally I already used Mobile 1 and change it about every 3k miles. Just because... No real reason. I've seen oil and filters that offer 5k, 10k, and 15k oil changes in different stores. Motor oil seems almost as mystical as break in procedures sometime.....

I did see a Ram add where they pimping 25 MPG. Pretty impressive for a v-8 truck. That's better than the Ecoboost Ford F-150 I think.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Did they put the 8 speed in it yet? My little TDI does 10K oil changes on 4.5 quarts of oil. I think these days everyone has gone to synthetic and push out the oil changes.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did they put the 8 speed in it yet? My little TDI does 10K oil changes on 4.5 quarts of oil. I think these days everyone has gone to synthetic and push out the oil changes.
No still a six speed and which one is dependent on hp. The current Ram has 7500 mile max oil change intervals so doing something to keep the exhaust soot from the EGR out of the oil and doubling the interval I think is significant. Also switching to SCR keeps diesel dilution of the oil minimized.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did see a Ram add where they pimping 25 MPG. Pretty impressive for a v-8 truck. That's better than the Ecoboost Ford F-150 I think.

I am pretty sure that in the fine print that they have up for all of 3 seconds that it says its a V6 and not 4x4 that gets 25 MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
The original post states ram heavy duty. Isn't v6 and 8 speed stuff in the "half ton" You still can get a standard shift in the heavy duty if you order the diesel can't you? I have enough made in Mexico stuff in my Deere tractors even if they are assembled in Georgia. I did kind of look at the specs for the 2009 and again in 2011 model 2012 I just didn't want 250 or 2500 series. I will have to give them credit for being up front about needing a weight distributing hitch to tow larger loads where ford does not really disclose that unless you know to look in some towing supplement not in the brochures or even asterisked.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
The V-6 with the 8-speed automatic is the truck that gets the 25mpg. Also that combination raises the price significantly over the base truck. The V-8 is rated at 20 mpg highway, I believe.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Isnt this thread about the 3/4 & 1 tons ? I dont think Ram puts a V6 in them, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Isnt this thread about the 3/4 & 1 tons ? I dont think Ram puts a V6 in them, but I could be wrong.
Yes you are correct. I was commenting that the ad mentioned above about 25 MPG was for a V6 2 wheel drive and not a V8.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The original post states ram heavy duty. Isn't v6 and 8 speed stuff in the "half ton" You still can get a standard shift in the heavy duty if you order the diesel can't you? I have enough made in Mexico stuff in my Deere tractors even if they are assembled in Georgia. I did kind of look at the specs for the 2009 and again in 2011 model 2012 I just didn't want 250 or 2500 series. I will have to give them credit for being up front about needing a weight distributing hitch to tow larger loads where ford does not really disclose that unless you know to look in some towing supplement not in the brochures or even asterisked.
Yes the manual trans is still an option.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
From what I've read about Mopar and our new 2013 Jeep with the Pentastar v6, they are doing away with the other smaller engines and using the Pentastar exclusively throughout the line-up. I believe it will be in the trucks as well. They had a major issue last year with having to replace heads. Driver side would start ticking and eventually burn a valve...or something. The '13s have the new and improved head...but we got the extended warranty anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
From what I've read about Mopar and our new 2013 Jeep with the Pentastar v6, they are doing away with the other smaller engines and using the Pentastar exclusively throughout the line-up. I believe it will be in the trucks as well. They had a major issue last year with having to replace heads. Driver side would start ticking and eventually burn a valve...or something. The '13s have the new and improved head...but we got the extended warranty anyways.
We have 2011 Jeep GC and I have heard nothing about the head problem. Is it 2012 only?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
We have 2011 Jeep GC and I have heard nothing about the head problem. Is it 2012 only?
I believe its with the 3.6 Pentastar . I know for sure it was the 2012 Wranglers as that was the first year for the Pentastar for them. The heads being replaced had a number on the casting (fairy easily seen) that ends with AA or AB. The 2013 heads casting number ends with AC.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I really like the new Ram HD's. Chrysler has come a long way in the past few years, in my opinion lapping GM in the truck segment. All this chatter about Ram's new HD's having the best spec's with the best fuel economy has me interested. I saw something a while back about the possibility of an air suspension which would be awesome. Personally, I hope they end up building the 5500 Long Hauler prototype. They won't sell many, but they sure are a cool truck! GM better really knock it out of the park with their entire truck lineup or Ford will completely dominate the truck market, with Ram a distant second.

Brian, I heard the rumors but I hadn't seen that picture until you posted it. Hopefully they end up building it, economically, it makes zero sense, but there are a lot of people (myself included) who love diesels and will gladly pay premium for them. These new clean diesels like your TDI are drop dead awesome, if Ram can pull something like that off, they will capture a lot of the light duty segment.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Holy Crap!!

Anyone see the news? Ram's tow numbers are out... they promised they'd hit it out of the park and I don't think anybody expected them to jump as much as they have. Up to 30,000 pounds (gooseneck/fifth wheel) in a 3500 DRW, that's 5,500 pounds more than the F450 can haul. That's some amazing numbers, if you look at Ford Chasis cabs, the F550 doesn't even haul that. And if you want to compare that to a GM truck, well they max out at 23,000 pounds. I've never owned Ram (or Dodge), or even been a huge supporter of their work until lately, but you can't argue with numbers like that. If your buying a new truck, Ram just jumped up the list in my book, can't say it'd be my truck yet, but that's very impressive. Bravo Ram :clap:

2013 Ram HD: The King of Towing at 30,000 Pounds - PickupTrucks.com News

Ram-ifications of Ram's New Tow Ratings - PickupTrucks.com News

·
Registered
446 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts