Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, thank you to all who have contributed to past ballast discussions. After reading several and a downloading a manual for my 2025r which will arrive in May, I have a question.

Background:
Many of the discussions mention the need for both axel (fluid or wheel weights) and rear ballast. TTWT and others talk about this in their videos too. When I look at the manual for the 120R loader for the 2025R (screen shot inserted), I see only hitch ballast listed. A page later (220R loader) and larger 2-series tractors, both axle and hitch ballast are listed as required.

I have ordered the tractor with the iMatch quick hitch and Deere Ballast box. I have 8 x 70 lb. wheel weights and was going to put 6 on the wheels (3 per side) based on past reading and two in the ballast box. I also have 6 x 40 lb. suitcase weights for inside the ballast box and 2 x 250 lb. wheel weights (from 7720 combine) for in or on the ballast box.

I will be using the tractor primarily for mowing and snow removal and would like less weight when mowing; I planned to use 1 wheel weight per side for additional stability but if I do not need the others on the wheels, my lawn will "appreciate it." I do not plan to install and remove wheel weights regularly.

Question: Along with 1 wheel weight on each wheel, can I just put 6 x 70 lb. wheel weights (420 lb.) + 6 x 40 lb. suitcase weights (240 lb.) for a total of 660 lbs. in the ballast box which with the iMatch will total move than the 750 lb. total required? I could also add 1 or both of the 250 lb. wheel weights to the top of the ballast box.

Thank you!

120R manual page.png

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
The manual clearly states "750 lbs Rear Hitch Ballast" as the minimum. That is regardless of what is in or on the rear wheels.

Reactions: WestTexasFarmBoy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mark,
My 2025r has not showed up yet but I sure would like to look at the manual (not by buying the PDF, maybe later). Got a link?
Also, the backhoe, according to my research is only about 660#. I have thread on here asking if I need more weight. I wonder if that "hitch weight" really means behind the axle?
Wayne

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
Owner's manuals are available free from deere.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have about 500 lbs in my ballast box plus rim guard in the tires, it seems like enough to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mark,
..... the backhoe, according to my research is only about 660#. I have thread on here asking if I need more weight. I wonder if that "hitch weight" really means behind the axle?
Wayne
"hitch weight", in this instance, is counter ballast for the front loader. I know that you know this & it seems pretty straightforward - but if you want to figure out how much you might really need yourself you would find it quite complicated. The calculations will include a lot of dynamic and static measurements, most in the form of tensors and moments - in other words lots and lots of calculus (which I promised myself long ago that I would never do again in my lifetime).

Fortunately the JD engineers have already done all of it and that's what is in the manual. The thing that is most different about hitch weight compared to weight on the rear axle is Mechanical Advantage due to its location behind that point. Since a lot of the weight of a backhoe is a good deal further from the axle it has even more ΣMA - this is why some backhoes are considered adequate counter ballast for some tractor loaders.

Ballast on the rear axle, whether liquid or iron, move the tractor's center of gravity rearward and, most importantly, down - making it more stable. And, of course, it improves traction - as does hitch weight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mark, thanks for the link.
Texas, you're right I DID know that:) about longer moment arm. When I read 'hitch' I was not thinking about the three point hitch. So far, my hitches have all been on my truck:)
The three point hitch definitely puts the weight way behind the axle.
So rear wheel weight (filled or ballast) for overall stability, hitch weight for FEL.
Got it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts