Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a new 2032r with auto connect mid mount mower. the arms are up tight to the machine in highest position but the computer registers their height at the lowest install position. The arms refuse to lower at the command of the lever.

After contacting the dealer, they walked me through a calibration procedure but it failed to correct the issue. While in calibration mode the arms raised and lowered as designed which confirms the failure is not the electric motor.

dealer claims to have a second 2032r experiencing similar issue, and in two weeks have not come to a solution. my machine waits at home until the dealer can correct the other customer's machine currently at their shop.

have any others experienced this issue?

many thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do believe you have a problem not discussed on here before. I did a quick forum search and nothing jumped out at me as most are some type of mechanical problem. Wonder if the lever switch is hooked up or is bad. Think I would start there since the computer diagnostic made it work correctly. Oh wait you said the dash shows it in the down position when it is in fact up. Maybe a bad or backwards sensor, heck I don't know. Did you try to pull the lever back the other way to see if it moves? There are a lot of smart guys on here I am sure someone will be able to help? Good luck I will be watching.

:munch:

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
I have not seen another thread about this issue that I can remember either. Best of luck though.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This sounds similar to a common cnc machine tool issue where they use servo motors to control the position of axis's of motion.
Most of these machines use an encoder (device that monitors rotations of the servo motor) that is mounted to the motor to determine what position they are in, although a few premium machines use glass scales on the actual machine axis to determine position.

At any rate provisions are normally included to have a coupling between the motor and screw assembly that will slip to protect the motor if the load hits a predetermined value and this can produce a difference between the position of the axis (mowing deck true position) and the position the control believes is correct.
Therefore there must be a provision to re establish the agreement of the position.
Normally one would use a software setting that would tell the control that the current encoder setting is now the "new" home position.
It sounds like Deere has a method because they had you attempt something which allowed you to position the "axis" even though it thought it was at a end of stroke position.

First conjecture: (wild guess)
If there where no mechanical or electrical issues and the procedure they gave you did not work then they conveyed the procedure to you incorrectly or you performed it incorrectly.
No offense meant, but procedures for this type of thing that I request from machine tool builders must be followed exactly as described no matter how simple they appear written, exactly...
I normally request that procedures are sent via email and are normally from a reference library, not just described by a tech in written words.

Second conjecture:
there is a mechanical problem with the coupling between the motor and screw or motor and encoder in your assembly or the load to move the deck up and down is too high causing a slip between your motor and coupling.
This could mean that the deck height position is being reset per your instructions but as soon as you begin to move it again the position is immediately slipping from the reference position.

Third conjecture:
There is an electrical problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Further clarification...for what its worth.

The machine is not new. It was purchased new this summer and now has about 50 hours on it. The MMM operated fine until now and was routinely attached and detached as needed.

The calibration procedure seems to agree with Jeff B's assessment. There was a value on the display that was supposed to associate to 3" setting on the mower height dial. The dealer had me set the dial to 3, enter the calibration procedure, raise and lower the arms with the lever until a specific value was achieved then exit the calibration mode. The arms raised and lowered as expected, the value was achieved but was quickly forgotten by the machine upon exiting the calibration mode.

The dealer hastily ran me through the procedure on the phone, more to serve as a quick fix/troubleshoot the issue. His initial thought was the motor was damaged that raised the arms but entering the calibration mode debunked that theory. It is very possible, if not highly likely, that it was performed incorrectly. If anyone has the tech manual, please, post the procedure.

·
Premium Member
14,414 Posts
...The calibration procedure seems to agree with Jeff B's assessment. There was a value on the display that was supposed to associate to 3" setting on the mower height dial. The dealer had me set the dial to 3, enter the calibration procedure, raise and lower the arms with the lever until a specific value was achieved then exit the calibration mode. The arms raised and lowered as expected, the value was achieved but was quickly forgotten by the machine upon exiting the calibration mode...
Call me old fashioned but there is a simplistic elegance to the deck height control mechanism on commercial ZTRs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Issue has been resolved, on its own. The machine seemingly fixed itself. It sat unused in the barn for more than a week and worked fine upon last use and several uses since then.

The dealer re-installed the software on the other machine that was exhibiting similar symptoms. The SW reboot seems to have solved the other owners issues.

Clearly John Deere needs to spend a bit more time debugging their firmware.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm glad the issue resolved itself but it kind of scares me since I've never had luck with things that are broken fixing themselves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same error code - different problem.

I had the same error code on mine but it was because I removed the MMM for the winter.

The dealer dispatched a tech to repair the problem and after trying the recalibration and fighting it for a while, he summoned the dealer online database.

It turns out that if you remove the MMM for too long it sends the computer into a tizzy. And the only fix for it, as per Deere factory people, is to disconnect the wiring at the HOC knob and HOC actuator. Then install dummy plugs to keep water and other undesirables out of the connections.

In the spring when I want to install my MMM again, I have to take the tractor apart to reconnect the one harness and then crawl under it to reconnect the other.

BTW - the Deere Solution Number document is 114670. This applies to 2036R, 2032R and 2038R. I won't post a scan of it due to copyright concerns, but you should be able to ask your dealership service department for a copy, or to at least see the document.

Needless to say, I'm less than happy about this. I bought the tractor to use as a tractor with mowing capabilities, not as a ridiculously expensive riding mower. I plan to speak to my salesperson and escalate it up to Deere as necessary to find a palatable solution.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Did you remove just the mower deck or mower deck and all the auto connect components including the linear actuator? I've had my mower deck off my tractor for months at a time with no issue, BUT that was it. All other auto connect components still installed.

Reactions: bvbearcat

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
That really blows. I remove my deck for the winter months which is for approximately 5 months. Never had a problem so far..... I was going to remove the entire lift mechanism this year but decided not to. No issues plowing or snow blowing snow with it installed. Front PTO shaft clears all the lift equipment.

Sincerely

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you remove just the mower deck or mower deck and all the auto connect components including the linear actuator? I've had my mower deck off my tractor for months at a time with no issue, BUT that was it. All other auto connect components still installed.
I just disconnected the deck and drove off of it. Then I raised the PTO shaft and pinned it in the upper position along with raising the MMM linkage to the top with the dial. Nothing more. After a couple of months is when I started getting the error code. The tech said he had seen the same problem on several other machines locally too.

Reactions: Big

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I just disconnected the deck and drove off of it. Then I raised the PTO shaft and pinned it in the upper position along with raising the MMM linkage to the top with the dial. Nothing more. After a couple of months is when I started getting the error code. The tech said he had seen the same problem on several other machines locally too.

That's odd. There's no sensor that I am aware of that would tell the computer that the mower is installed or not. I'm guessing it has more to do with an issue with the linear actuator.

Reactions: CoryB

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's odd. There's no sensor that I am aware of that would tell the computer that the mower is installed or not. I'm guessing it has more to do with an issue with the linear actuator.
I don’t have any idea about that. But I have the Deere solution document that specifically talks about the problem I have, i.e. removing the deck and getting the error.

At tthis point, the tractor thinks it has no mower and has been happily tractoring away all day. I guess I’ll see what happens in the Spring when the mower goes back on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don’t have any idea about that. But I have the Deere solution document that specifically talks about the problem I have, i.e. removing the deck and getting the error.

At this point, the tractor thinks it has no mower and has been happily tractoring away all day. I guess I’ll see what happens in the Spring when the mower goes back on.
As a followup, the dealer tech came out and has concluded that the position sensor on the servo motor has gone bad. He came back today and replaced the servo and sensor and says it is fixed. I'll check it out as soon as I can with a final update, but it appears the problem is fixed.

The tech also said he believes the service bulletin I referenced previously was geared more towards people permanently removing the mower deck without removing all of the mounting hardware and electronics.

Anyway, happy news for now. We'll see how it plays out long term.

Reactions: Jeff B and Big

·
Premium Member
14,414 Posts
As a followup, the dealer tech came out and has concluded that the position sensor on the servo motor has gone bad. He came back today and replaced the servo and sensor and says it is fixed. I'll check it out as soon as I can with a final update, but it appears the problem is fixed.
Just think... that will be $1180 once the warranty runs out. You can thank JD for over engineering something as simple as a mower deck lift.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just think... that will be $1180 once the warranty runs out. You can thank JD for over engineering something as simple as a mower deck lift.
At that point I'll remove everything related to it and buy a riding mower. And be quite irritated that I spent so much money for the MMM. Had I known of problems with them I wouldn't have gotten it to begin with.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Well my mmm has been off my tractor since fall. The other day I was snowblowing and now have a error code on the dash. I called the dealer with the code and it pertains to Height of cut. I never touched the mower deck height controls. It's been in the #6 locked position since deck removal. Now it won't go down or up. Just talked to the dealer again and he said they'll have to reflash it. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Reactions: CoryB
1 - 19 of 19 Posts