Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally get to join the club! I've had a new 2038R on order since mid-May; anticipated mid August and took delivery end of the month. I have a backhoe in the deal but availability on that got pushed out a few more weeks. I waffled between the large 2R and 3R machines quite a bit. I hope to be able to buy some recreational land in the future and a 3R would likely be better for what I want to do there, but a 2038R is more than enough for home. In the end I had to buy what was right for "right now" and didn't want to spend 3R money on a machine that, IMO, could stand to be updated. My luck it would be right after I signed on the line.

Delivery
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor

This boy approves.
Plant Tire Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I enlisted his sister to remove the toothbar set screws so they could get some spray-sheep.
People in nature Grass Toddler Leisure Recreation

Installing some KBOH of course. I bet nobody has ever seen that before! (Yes it's backwards I was just tracing the holes)
Green Rectangle Wood Metal Engineering

Furniture Green Table Fluid Passive circuit component

Right away I found that the rockshaft control lever was really stiff to operate. So stiff that there was no hope of making fine adjustments for box blading, and you could see the plastic fender moving just with the force it took to raise or lower. Wayyy too stiff. I removed the lower half of the right fender because I've seen some photos of the pivot point for the control lever being too tight. It turns out that was not my problem, that moved freely. I disconnected some of the linkage by pulling a small pin out of one of the rods behind the wheel and the issue was "downstream" of the control lever. Behind the wheel is this arm on a shaft which goes into the rockshaft unit (I think). I was able to loosen up this nut a bit which 100% fixed my problem. Effort to move the lever is maybe 15% of what it used to be. The photo I got from shoving a phone in there shows it far better than I could see myself when troubleshooting. Looks like it is intended to be a friction adjustment.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Crankset

Something that took a little longer to discover is that the loader hoses like to crowd around the reverse pedal. I haven't tried yet, but I'm guessing if I angle the hoses on the loader arm up a little higher it may help? Right now they come straight back from the hard lines.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Green

Green Hood Motor vehicle Plant Grass

It also looks like the #1 rear SCV handle isn't well centered, limiting how far it can move rearward. I'll get to that someday, nothing to use on it just yet. Curiously I don't hear the engine load down at all if I click the continuous flow switch. I hope that works but have no way to test yet.

Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Initial thoughts:
  • Super super happy to finally have a tractor to use. I drove farm tractors as a kid but this is the first one that's mine. This will be very useful.
  • It does seem like the 2R had a good bit of hydro whine, much more in high range. I wish it didn't, but I also kinda figured that from videos before buying.
  • Very nice as far as controls, layout, etc. Auto throttle is great.
  • I personally find the MSL loader kind of goofy looking, and same for the R3+ tires (especially the fronts). I overanalyzed the options and am happy with what I got, but R4s do look "tougher" as does the NSL. I wish the R3+ fronts had a little more meat on them, but they will be great in snow and on the grassy slopes I have.
  • Before I get hassled about it, yes I plan to DIY a ballast box which is why you don't see one in the picture. I may add some wheel weights but I have some aftermarket ideas for that. BB5060 + suitcase weights until then, or a chipper or backhoe if I need more.
  • How long until I smash the ROPS on the garage door?
  • It's good to hear and smell diesel again.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Congratulations. There are a lot of these showing up lately. You will love it and what a beautiful family.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Nice machine -- enjoy.

rob

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Nice! Congrats & enjoy. 😎

Reactions: EmmtBot

·
Registered
John Deere 2032R (2017)
1 Posts
Congrats also from me. I bought a second hand 2032R with 550hrs (essentially same as 2038R except for the turbo, 2032R has no turbo) from my local JD dealer. I exchanged the NSL loader for a MSL loader and also switched the bucket for a HD bucket. Also got ( rear wheel spacers, bolt on weights in the rear wheels, box blade, hydraulic top link, tractor plus smart connect, rear fender extensions and studed chains for the rear tires ). This used tractor still has a balance of the original 6 years warranty, came with a Tektite heated cab, front Normand snow blower, with hydraulic shoot turn and top hydraulic shoot flap and radio. Receiving it next month because of all of the added equipments. I find myself lucky that I found this 2032R tractor. I will be doing snow removal with this machine this winter. I got 16 neighbours which got dumped form their snow removal contractor. The 16 snow removals that I will be doing will be covering all of my expenses for the tractor that I bought.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Welcome to the Green Team. I have had a 2032R for over a month now, I just got a BB5060 box blade last week and it works great, major upgrade from the 2048 I had with my 2320. I admire your approach to tractor ownership. People tend to say I overthink things but I never want to regret something, which I do anyways at some times. My FEL hoses come in at a different angle than yours does. I am curious to how you got the fender off to tweak your rock shaft lever. I have a very slow leak from that area and would like to investigate.

·
Registered
J.D 2038r
19 Posts
I love my 2038r I was just using the backhoe today.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Congrats and welcome to GTT

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,446 Posts
Congratulations, you'll love the 2038R. Don't count it out, if you do buy the rec. property you might be surprised at what you can accomplish.

Reactions: SGT-RAM and EmmtBot

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have to click the continuous scv button to activate the system then manually throw the scv lever and it will lock in continuous flow.
Aha! Thank you, I must have missed that in the manual.

Congrats also from me. I bought a second hand 2032R with 550hrs [...] came with a Tektite heated cab, front Normand snow blower, with hydraulic shoot turn and top hydraulic shoot flap and radio.
That sounds awesome! I'd be curious to see that snowblower when you get it. I'd love a cab for about half the year here, but it wouldn't work for the other half. Officially we average 116in of snow here per year (~3m). I haven't quite decided what combination of implements will be my long term strategy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I admire your approach to tractor ownership. People tend to say I overthink things but I never want to regret something, which I do anyways at some times. My FEL hoses come in at a different angle than yours does. I am curious to how you got the fender off to tweak your rock shaft lever. I have a very slow leak from that area and would like to investigate.
Thanks, your approach sounds similar to mine. Anything big gets researched and pondered for quite a while. As for accessing the linkage in the right fender area, I was able to remove the black plastic downward by removing three bolts from underneath. One at the back and two up front, they go through some rubber grommets. Took 2 or 3 minutes to remove, and had room to slide out without removing a wheel or anything like that.

Congratulations, you'll love the 2038R. Don't count it out, if you do buy the rec. property you might be surprised at what you can accomplish.
Thanks, and you're probably right. I see lots of work getting done on here with these size machines.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congrats!!!!

The 2038R is a very capable machine.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
welcome to the club. I was on my 20038R Sunday mowing for about 3 hours. BE SAFE

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks, your approach sounds similar to mine. Anything big gets researched and pondered for quite a while. As for accessing the linkage in the right fender area, I was able to remove the black plastic downward by removing three bolts from underneath. One at the back and two up front, they go through some rubber grommets. Took 2 or 3 minutes to remove, and had room to slide out without removing a wheel or anything like that.

Thanks, and you're probably right. I see lots of work getting done on here with these size machines.
I tried to find those 3 bolts, can you explain it a bit further please?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried to find those 3 bolts, can you explain it a bit further please?
Sure, I hope we are talking about the same thing. I removed two of #47 down in the front and a single #20 in the back (looks like maybe that was a nut not a bolt, memory foggy). At that point #5 was free to slide out and I could access the guts of a lot of the right hand controls.
Font Auto part Drawing Design Art

If you look at the thread about the factory 3rd function kit there are some photos and videos of that area as well here and here for example.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sure, I hope we are talking about the same thing. I removed two of #47 down in the front and a single #20 in the back (looks like maybe that was a nut not a bolt, memory foggy). At that point #5 was free to slide out and I could access the guts of a lot of the right hand controls.
View attachment 804308

If you look at the thread about the factory 3rd function kit there are some photos and videos of that area as well here and here for example.
Thanks for the help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts