Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just took delivery of my new 2520 and JD 62" MMM. All in all a great setup.

I have a couple queries about the lighting...

1. Behind the seat there's a loom which has the wires for the indicators as well as a couple of spare wires. Could I be lucky enough that they already wire it for work lights - and all I need to do is plug some actual lights into these spares?

2. On the lighting switch on the dash, the third position from the left turns the headlamps on (which is pretty straight forward) but the fourth selection from the left (the last one) the headlights stay on, but the parking lights and the hazard lights mounted on the ROPS also come on. Any idea why this is?

Would be great if anyone has any additional information at all (probably have to buy myself a technical manual...).

Thanks in advance.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,946 Posts
Welcome to GTT.
I would bet the answer to your first question is Yes. I say this only because our 2320 was pre-wired, I have to admit I do not know what switch setting controls them from in here but I assume it doesn't matter. I will say with the 2320 I can run the headlights and our rear work lights without the flashers on. If the flashers are on and you turn around to backup the flasher will blind you.

Don't know about question 2

Tell us about the purchase of your new tractor and any plans for it. Your pictures did not come up either.

·
Registered
947 Posts
piffdog,

Welcome to GTT and congratulations on your tractor purchase. It is always good to see another 2x20 series owner here.

Regarding question # 1... Yes, the extra wires can be used with the John Deere Forward (LVB25546) and Rear (LVB25547) Auxillary Lighting Kits. I believe both come with a splitter if you decide you want to use/install both kits. Below is a link to a post I made previously on how we set our 2520 up.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compacts/1872-jd-2520-my-weekend-mods.html

A couple of comments regarding this...
- The kits from John Deere are plug & play. Meaning all you have to do is install the lights and the male/female ends plug into one another. No cutting or splicing required.
- The lights themselves are from JW Speaker. So if you are knowledgable with wiring, you would not have to go through JD.
- With the forward lighting kit, it is also suggested purchasing the Brush Guards (LVB25016) in which the lights would be mounted.

Regarding question # 2...as I am in the office and not near my 2520 so I am going from memory. I believe the 4th position is for when going down the road and require headlights (I use this position regardless what time of day I am going down the road). I believe the position controls for me are as follows:
1) off
2) headlights off and flashers and parking lights on
3) headlights on, auxillary lighting (both forward and rear) on and flashers and parking lights off
4) headlights on, auxillary lighting (both forward and rear) off and flashers and parking lights on

A couple further comments regarding lighting...
a) the kits from JD are expensive. I believe I paid around $150 for both aux kits and another $50 for the brush guards. If I had to do it again...I would go with LED lights and wire it myself.
b) if you are looking for LED lights, look at one of the sponsors here: Mobile HID Work Lights, HID Work Lights, HID Lighting, Work HID Lights, LED Work Lights, MobileHID offers it all!
c) some people prefer to have a seperate switch for their aux lighting. Not suggesting one way is better than the other, just noting there are other options than the plug and play from JD

As Giz noted...we are looking forward to seeing pictures of your new machine. I hope this helps you in your questions and once again, welcome to GTT.

Doug

Attachments

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,946 Posts
Nice post Doug.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not sure how the 1026R light switch compares to yours but here is what the manual says for it:

First position: All Lights Off
2nd: Warning Flasher Lights On
3rd: Headlights, Taillights, and Warning Flasher Lights On
4th: Headlights, Worklights and Taillights On

·
Registered
947 Posts
Another item worth mentioning is the "blinding" that comes when installing these forward aux lights on the brush guards. At night, any time you turn you head to the side, the glare from the lights makes it difficult to see. For this issue, I use the Chris's Horse Blinders and have been very happy with the results. Relatively inexpensive, easy to install and fit the aesthetics of the tractor so well, the CFO does not even know they are there. :good2:

Wish I had some better pics but below is Chris's website.
Horse Blinders

Attachments

Reactions: Artillian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bones - you are spot on with your description of the switch. (got the multimeter out and yep - those plugs behind the seat are prewired for work lights).

I'm thinking maybe some forward facing broad beam lights (facing toward say 10 o clock and 2 o clock - blinkers included!), and perhaps a 24" LED light bar mounted on the ROPS facing backwards over the work area? Anyone have any thoughts?

Spent the day today mowing (getting to know the excellent 62D deck) and also pulled out a few small trees which were getting in the way of my mowing in a couple of tight spots. 6 foot of chain and the 2520 worked a treat (esp. with the very wet soil we have here currently....)

I have also purchased a FEL, with a 4in1 bucket, but hasn't been delivered/fitted yet (tractor has to go back to the shop for that). It's from an aftermarket supplier here in Australia called Challenge. Very good reputation, and they make units for tractors all the way up to 200hp+. Check them out at Challenge Implements. Was a lot cheaper than OEM, given that the CX apparently don't come ready for 4in1. Challenge loaders are also self-levelling, which I believe the smaller JD loaders are not. Anyway - we'll see how we go!

Once I get the loader, I'm looking to fabricate a set of forks - so will throw up some pics of the process (I've been inspired by rockshaft, dieselshadow and the guy at this other forum: John Deere 2320 Home made FORKS! - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information). I'm also keen to try and build up a bagger - perhaps incorporating a powerflow unit (if I can get my hands on one - any tips on compatibility with a 62D? cost?), which attaches to the linkage, rather than drawbar. Let's see anyway...

Will throw up a couple of pics of my new unit in the next day or so.

Cheers.

PS great forum.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,946 Posts
piffdog, Thanks for the post. I have to admit, the guy on MyTractorForum has built a nice set of forks.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi everyone. Just took delivery of my new 2520 and JD 62" MMM. All in all a great setup.

I have a couple queries about the lighting...

1. Behind the seat there's a loom which has the wires for the indicators as well as a couple of spare wires. Could I be lucky enough that they already wire it for work lights - and all I need to do is plug some actual lights into these spares?

2. On the lighting switch on the dash, the third position from the left turns the headlamps on (which is pretty straight forward) but the fourth selection from the left (the last one) the headlights stay on, but the parking lights and the hazard lights mounted on the ROPS also come on. Any idea why this is?

Would be great if anyone has any additional information at all (probably have to buy myself a technical manual...).

Thanks in advance.
1 JDs light kits plug right in, the tractors are pre wired :thumbup1gif:

2 The last position is to have all the lights on without the hazards, as there is no need for them for feild work. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
Those Challenge loaders look pretty nice. The self leveling arms on my loader stick up about 6" above the loader arms, they can be a pain to see around in a tight spot. I'm sure we would all love to see some pictures once you get it installed. What will the loader's capacity be, and how much does the 4 in 1 bucket weigh? I've never heard of anyone running a 4 in 1 on a subcompact tractor, most of the ones I've seen here are far too heavy. I'm really interested in what those folks have come up with! Will it have a quick attach mechanism for the bucket, or pin on?

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts
I agree. The internal self-leveling linkage is a great idea. That would be nice to have on a compact or SCUT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those who asked - just posted a couple pics of the new machine under the newbie/introduce yourself page.

Cheers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
piffdog,

Welcome to GTT and congratulations on your tractor purchase. It is always good to see another 2x20 series owner here.

Regarding question # 1... Yes, the extra wires can be used with the John Deere Forward (LVB25546) and Rear (LVB25547) Auxillary Lighting Kits. I believe both come with a splitter if you decide you want to use/install both kits. Below is a link to a post I made previously on how we set our 2520 up.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compacts/1872-jd-2520-my-weekend-mods.html

A couple of comments regarding this...
- The kits from John Deere are plug & play. Meaning all you have to do is install the lights and the male/female ends plug into one another. No cutting or splicing required.
- The lights themselves are from JW Speaker. So if you are knowledgable with wiring, you would not have to go through JD.
- With the forward lighting kit, it is also suggested purchasing the Brush Guards (LVB25016) in which the lights would be mounted.

Regarding question # 2...as I am in the office and not near my 2520 so I am going from memory. I believe the 4th position is for when going down the road and require headlights (I use this position regardless what time of day I am going down the road). I believe the position controls for me are as follows:
1) off
2) headlights off and flashers and parking lights on
3) headlights on, auxillary lighting (both forward and rear) on and flashers and parking lights off
4) headlights on, auxillary lighting (both forward and rear) off and flashers and parking lights on

A couple further comments regarding lighting...
a) the kits from JD are expensive. I believe I paid around $150 for both aux kits and another $50 for the brush guards. If I had to do it again...I would go with LED lights and wire it myself.
b) if you are looking for LED lights, look at one of the sponsors here: Mobile HID Work Lights, HID Work Lights, HID Lighting, Work HID Lights, LED Work Lights, MobileHID offers it all!
c) some people prefer to have a seperate switch for their aux lighting. Not suggesting one way is better than the other, just noting there are other options than the plug and play from JD

As Giz noted...we are looking forward to seeing pictures of your new machine. I hope this helps you in your questions and once again, welcome to GTT.

Doug
Hi Doug,

Could you tell me what that small harness is called in the third picture or the part number. Looks like a good way to add another accessory.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts