Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Deere 26g open station, will be going to pick it up tomorrow.

Looked around at used machines not only of Deere but quite a few others. Everything I found such high price for what they where. I am sure as many of you know. Stop in at my Deere dealership and they had this one on the showroom floor. Started talking with a salesman and he gave me a fairly high price. This dealership has a fair amount of locations and decided to call my normal salesman at a different location. His price came back over $6,000 cheaper. After finalizing the number I told him I would take it.

I had been talking with him about the same model but with a cab and he gave me a price but couldn't order one from john deere. They had put a hold on orders. He did tell me about the open cab model they had but I really thought I wanted a cab. After thinking about it I couldn't justify the extra cost at this time. I don't disagree that would be great to have a cab but for as much I would be using the machine was it really worth it. Also due to not having many or no new machines out there to buy I figured if I wanted one I better do it now. Once the weather starts warming up around here I am sure there will be plenty more looking to buy one.

I will post pictures tomorrow once it get here.

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
Congrats! That's one of my "dream machines" to own.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
499 Posts
Congrats! That's one of my "dream machines" to own.
Ken,

I'm with you! I am actually looking at a non Deere one from Northern Tool (Nortrack 16nt). Yanmar powered and Eaton hydraulics (At least swing motor). $15,499. Looks the same as a Deere 17G. However, it was mysteriously discontinued right after the sales catalog was delivered and replaced with a Kubota powered unit at $2,500 more.
I think they were going to loose their shirt on them and that is why they were 'discontinued'. At $15,500 to me it was a steal, but with shipping and tax and the new price it is now just over $20K. But similar new Deere's and Kubota's are nearly $30K.
The main point/question I have is; how do guys like you and I justify one when we have backhoes? I rented a 35G a couple of years ago and it did not seem to have much more digging ability (power) than the 375A hoe on the back of my 3046R.
But just like looking, "dreaming" is free.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4052R HOOS, 440R MSL, 485A
324 Posts
Congrats on the 26g! I just saw a 30g on the lot that my little one said we needed to bring home for mommy. How considerate :D

<snip>
how do guys like you and I justify one when we have backhoes? I rented a 35G a couple of years ago and it did not seem to have much more digging ability (power) than the 375A hoe on the back of my 3046R.
But just like looking, "dreaming" is free.

Jeff
I have rented a 17g and a 26g. Big difference between the two machines. The thing i had to learn was that you don't try to fill the bucket up as fast as possible -- nice smooth digging motion taking as little soil as needed to fill the bucket by the end of your arc. Once I figured that out, the 26g outshined the 17g in every way. Neither machine liked digging in caliche, but the extra mass of the 26g made made it easier.

On paper, a 17g is equivalent to a 485a (curl, dipper, hydraulics). The backhoe may have a bit more weight behind it than the 17g, assuming a fully equipped tractor (wheel weights, fluid, loader, bucket).

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
Nice mini.
Those smaller ones with cabs can be quite claustrophobic and limited sight so it makes sense sometimes to just not have a cab. That said there’s nothing more miserable than being on a mini in freezing temps all day without heat. The newer machines should come with a 12v cigarette lighter plug that you can plug a heater or a heated suit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts