Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this dropped in the driveway. This is a Woodland Mills WC-88 3-point chipper. We'll get it assembled and try it out soon.

Plant Plant community Tree Wood Road surface
Plant Tree Motor vehicle Land lot Wood
Land vehicle Plant Wheel Vehicle Agricultural machinery
Plant Green Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire
Plant Harvester Automotive tire Agricultural machinery Road surface
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Plant

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I would hate to break something before I even got started.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Read the assembly manual carefully and verify you have all the parts before you start assembly, I had some bolts missing. I downloaded the manual and found out the manual that came with my WC-46 was newer than the manual I downloaded. Also carefully verify your PTO Length before you raise or lower the chipper with the shaft attached. Over all, it is not a real hard job assembling the unit and if the larger unit is anything like the smaller unit, I think you will love it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I held the parts and Dad put the bolts in. Snapped a pic of him tightening things up. We're about ready to mount on a tractor and start the PTO fitting. I have to check our oil supply, but we will probably need to make a run to get some tomorrow.

Plant Tire Tree Wheel Asphalt
Plant Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Tree

·
Registered
2020 1025R
979 Posts
I've been on the lookout for something a bit smaller since I normally don't need to deal with anything much larger than 2-3" in diameter. I figured there would be SOMETHING out there that would fit the bill and not cost a fortune since you're not paying for an engine. Is $2-3k pretty much table stakes for a decent pto-driven chipper?

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
I've been on the lookout for something a bit smaller since I normally don't need to deal with anything much larger than 2-3" in diameter. I figured there would be SOMETHING out there that would fit the bill and not cost a fortune since you're not paying for an engine. Is $2-3k pretty much table stakes for a decent pto-driven chipper?
Yea, unless you go Titan/Chinese cloan new for 1900+, occasionally used on FMP/CL for 1k+.

I have a Titan BX42, 1900 new. Works well for what I paid (bought used), if buying new I'd get something with power feed like the OP 😁 but that's 2.5+ times what I paid for something that'll be used 2-4 times a year.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
979 Posts
Yea, unless you go Titan/Chinese cloan new for 1900+, occasionally used on FMP/CL for 1k+.

I have a Titan BX42, 1900 new. Works well for what I paid (bought used), if buying new I'd get something with power feed like the OP 😁 but that's 2.5+ times what I paid for something that'll be used 2-4 times a year.
Yeah, my use case would be yard waste for the occasional branches that come down in wind storms and such or when I thin out some of the smaller trees on the parts of my property that are wooded. Hard to justify several thousand bucks for that. I could get something with a gas engine for about a thousand that's probably suitable, but then I've got another engine to maintain.

Best,

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got the Woodland Mills WC46 and it's a capable chipper up to about 3 inch, above that depends on how straight and free of stubs the piece is. I paid $2,699 last September. It's taken limbs that I would consider above and beyond what would be expected but I've also had a couple of nasty jams. I looked at some stand alone chippers that looked good but I too wanted to avoid another engine, and I wanted things that work along with my tractor. The downside is it's big and heavy on the back of a 1025R and you can't use the tractor for much else with it hanging on there. If I was starting over I'd reconsider a stand alone. Not sure.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some pics of the first run. Ran a small pile of 1" to 3" material thru it without issue.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Green Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Plant Wood Grass Thumb Root vegetable

Reactions: Gizmo2 and MattL

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just had this dropped in the driveway. This is a Woodland Mills WC-88 3-point chipper. We'll get it assembled and try it out soon.
That must have a power feed, right? How big a limb does it take, and how many cutters are on the wheel? I assume it's a belt-driven unit with an idler/tensioner? How heavy is the flywheel?

I bought a DR 3-point chipper several years ago, it's been money well spent. I had a big storm that blew down a bunch of trees, and after calling companies for the cleanup and hearing their estimates, and looking into rental costs for a chipper to do it myself, I came out cheaper in the long run by buying one. Mine will take 4-3/4 inch pieces as long as they're clean of stubs from small limbs. Mine is self feeding (gravity, my hopper points up a good bit), has a 50 lb. 17-3/4" flywheel with a single cutter, the cutter speed is 144 mph. I don't know what kind of steel the cutter is made of, but it took a long time and many, many limbs before it needed sharpening. I bought an extra cutter for mine, so I can just swap them when they get dull, so I don't have down time until I get it sharp again. I used an Arkansas stone to hone the edge; I treat it like a good chisel, it would shave my arm when I got done with it. I use mine more than I ever thought I would, there's always windfall and trees that need trimming. I used it for a couple of years with an X748, which handled it better than I thought it would, but my 2520 now handles it really well. One word of advice, keep your wood as free from dirt as possible and the cutter will keep its edge a lot longer.

Hope you have as good service from yours, show us some pics when you get the big stuff going.

Reactions: Cjet69

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will handle up to 8" diameter material depending on your tractors PTO HP. I don't remember off hand what the flywheel weight is, but there are several video's on Youtube that give the specs or you can go to the Woodland Mills website to look it up. This chipper has 4 blades. I plan on shooting a few video's when we get into the big piles of branches.

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The unit has four blades. Two outer and two inner. The infeed angle and bed knife position work the outer blades more than inner.. I surmise they could be swapped to stave off sharpening. Dirt, stones and hard wood will dull the blades. The power feed and almost level infeed chute combine to allow an insert and forget style of chipping. Even 20 + foot long branches/trees are no problem. The large opening reduces the need for trimming. Stuff over 4 inches is firewood for me. Large diameter (up to 8 inches) depends on Hp and infeed speed. But a stub at a bad angle will hang up and create a jam. I have had to shut down and insert a saw to remove a jammed branch.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got a video of the Woodland Mills chipper uploaded.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had the chipper fired up a few times and started laying down chips in the trail through the woods where it gets really muddy in the winter. I think we are going to like it.

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Wood
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Reactions: Grnmachine
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.