Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2018 JD 3032E
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, thanks in advance for the help. I'm taking possession of a lightly used (121 hours) 3032E. I have basic automotive tools but have never owned a tractor or anything that runs on diesel. What are the essential tools that I need in my shop to maintain and repair this machine? Again, thanks a ton for your advice and counsel.

Registered
Welcome from Central Ohio

Can't help you since I have an itty-bitty 1025R. 馃ぃ

Registered
Great question! As a new 3 series owner and new to tractors I really look forward to following this discussion.

Registered
Hmm, " What are the essential tools that I need".
The very basic and MOST important is the Operator's Manual. If you don't have it GET IT, and if you already have read, look at your tractor to see what it's talking about...and read it again! No magic about a diesel engine, it's kind of a gas engine without spark plugs or a carburetor ! I will recommend searching this forum for fuel additives. Many are available but I can't say which are best.

Next would be knowledge. As a new member, we know nothing about you...and I'm not asking either! We have Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, ex-JD Engineers, and people that have wrenched all their lives in here. We also have people that can't change a tire, a light bulb, or know how to adjust an adjustable wrench! With time and reading your post(s), we'll find out "where" you are !

Lastly, is this forum... and others that you may participate in. If you run into a situation you're not sure of, just ask.

I won't get into what's needed for repairs, cuz that just depends on what's broke...blown engine you'll need a fully equipped machine shop, leaking hyd cylinder ask here! If you do plan on doing your own repairs, I'd suggest getting the JD tch manual for your 3032E which is TM100619 and covers the tractor itself. You'll also need a manual for your engine, as this is not covered in the JD TM. Look online for Yanmar 3TNV88C-NJT2 parts manual and a tech manual.

Not much help, but all I've got! Bob

Registered
Majority of tools needed you already have. Sockets and wrenches primarily. Screwdrivers of course. Pliers for pulling cotter pins. A test light or multimeter. A bfh with a soft face to get the attention of stubborn parts. Oil filter wrench and greeze gun.

There are special sockets for the hubs, and other bigger jobs, but that's not routine maintenance imho. If you decide to get deeper into it buy the special tool at that time.

I agree with the shop manual. They are not cheap but worth it as you'll save much more than it cost by doing the labor yourself and cutting diagnostic time. Buy it right away.

Registered
A few things that I've picked up recently are a dedicated grease gun, multimeter, up to 250# torque wrench, air gauge for ballast filled tires and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

Very nice tractor, btw.

Registered
I'd get an adjustable oil filter wrench that fits on the end of a socket extension. Almost all of them have the engine oil filter tucked in very tight. Cannot get a regular oil filter wrench onto it.

You'll need a torque wrench for the wheel lug nuts.

For high torque stuff like nuts on bush hog blade, the best "torque wrench" is a long piece of pipe that will fit over a 3/4" socket handle. Just push about as hard as you can to "torque" it. Not rocket science.

You might occasionally need this "torque" wrench on some tight ones like lift pins, if you need to move them. Might be handy to have a shorter "torque" wrench like a 3 foot piece of pipe. Less chance of a skinned knuckle if you use the proper "torque" wrench.

Ralph

Super Moderator
Welcome to GTT

Premium Member

Registered
A big wallet for accessories and attachments

Reactions: MattL and ridesdirt

Premium Member
A few things that I've picked up recently are a dedicated grease gun, multimeter, up to 250# torque wrench, air gauge for ballast filled tires and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

Very nice tractor, btw.

second this post, and make it a battery powered grease gun if you can, not sure how I got along without one for so many years.

strap wrench that was mentioned is a good idea too and I have to agree with most others, the owners manual is a must, the tech manual is good if you plan to dig into something other than standard maintenance.

Reactions: Sparky64

Registered
3025E
Welcome to the forum, like others have said this is a great place for recourses and questions.
One of the rules of thumb we follow when purchasing of a used piece of equipment is getting a fluid and filter change. If the dealer or seller hasn鈥檛 done it. Deere recommends changing engine oil and filters annually. This is a great way to familiarize yourself with the machine. I would also recommend a large capacity oil drain can. If I remember the trans holds about 5 gallons. Also get yourself a good grease gun, study the manual and machine for zerk locations.

Registered
Like the OM suggestion. A good selection of METRIC sockets/wrenches. As mentioned torque wrenches come in handy (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive). HF is a good source for torque wrenches (reasonable prices and good calibration). Grease gun along with spare filters and fluids.

Registered
If you haven鈥檛 already download and study the operator鈥檚 manual -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts