Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger on a used Deere 317 Skid Steer on Friday. 1040 hours, very clean, all hand controls, runs excellent. The price was too good to post online. It did have a list of things it needed though:

New head lights
Oil changed
Greased
New tires
New seat belt (old one was cut when retractable mechanism broke)
and some miscellaneous parts.

Hauled it home and Work on it began Saturday morning. First thing was getting it all greased up. Ran out of grease so I still have a couple pins to do yet. Changed the oil and oil filter. Installed new head lights. Put a new rivet on the serial number tag, old one was gone and the tag was stuck behind a plate in the cab. Today I tested the auxiliary hydraulics out on the backhoe and it worked great, no problems there. I placed an order for some new parts which should be in tomorrow. I still have a short list of parts to order but it is coming along nicely. I am especially eager to get the new seat belt installed, I don't like operating it without the seat belt. Still getting used to the difference of machine, my Yanmar had 16 hp, the Deere has a 61 hp Turbo Diesel and lifts 4 times as much as the Yanmar did.:yahoo: More coming soon!

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,122 Posts
Nice machine! So you have no tractor now eh?

You said it was all hand control? I though the JD's used pedals for the loader and only CAT had full hand controls:dunno:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice machine! So you have no tractor now eh?

You said it was all hand control? I though the JD's used pedals for the loader and only CAT had full hand controls:dunno:
Nope, no tractor anymore. :( Deere offered hand/foot controls as standard equipment but also offered Case style hand controls as an option. Case style controls is where you use both hands for driving and your wrists to operate the loader (lift/tilt). The auxiliary hydraulics are operated via a foot pedal on the floor. The new Deere's have Cat style hand controls where the left joystick operates your drive system and the right joystick operates the loader. Cat is only hand controls, Case is only Hand controls, Deere is offered with all 3 controls systems, Bobcat is also offered with all 3 controls systems. Me, I love hand/foot so I am getting used to the all hand transistion but I am getting used to it pretty quick as i have quite a few hours logged on a Case skid steer as well. :thumbup1gif: I have attached a picture of the controls on my 317 to kinda give you an idea. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,122 Posts
Thanks, the couple machines I have operated all had hand and feet control.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 317 was in need of some new tires, so Tuesday evening I took off the old tires and called around for the best deal on a new set of tires.
IMG_0407.JPG
Installed the new tires last night along with 2 new fuel filters, the 317 is coming along. I also pulled the old seat belt off and it turns out the retractor mechanism still works, it was just jammed since the belt folded over inside. I decided it would be more cost effective to sew the end of the old belt back on and use it as is. It still works, it was just cut because the previous owner was in a big hurry and safety wasn't the top priority. I will have it sewed professionally to ensure it will hold and meet my safety standards.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
nice skid steer. you going to make a jake rake for skid steer???

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice skid steer. you going to make a jake rake for skid steer???
Thanks! You read my mind, I plan to get a SSQA plate and weld 3 tabs on it so I can hook my imatch to the front of the skid steer. Then what ever 3 point implements I keep I can use on the 317. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice machine. Looks real clean and well kept. Good luck with it. they are a powerful and fun machine to run.
Thanks PAfarmer. :thumbup1gif:

Got the 317 out last night and moved some snow that piled up in front of the barn (slid off the roof). Tires look all clean now and the 317 pushed the snow like it wasn't even there. :thumbup1gif:

022.JPG

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great pictures. I love your dog in the skiddy. Also the tracks in the snow. Still having fun with your new toy ?
Thanks! My dog loves the skid steer, I have let her ride on my lap when I brought the trash can to the bottom of the driveway, she loves it. :thumbup1gif: Today I traded my green weights for yellow ones, cant wait to get them on the 317. :thumbup1gif:
IMG_0625.JPG

As far as things it needs go, I am gonna need to replace my battery soon, it was dead last time i went to start the 317, I expected it since it sat for 8 months unused. I also found a hydraulic line that was crushed a little on my lift cylinder so I picked up a new one Yesterday at Deere and I will be replacing it soon. I am very happy with the 317 though, it is a sweet machine. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Busy last few days lately. I have kinda neglected my visit times on GTT but i can say I have returned with some pictures for y'all. Swapped my green weights for yellow ones on the 317, i have to say it looks a whole lot better with yellow weights on it.:thumbup1gif: I also bought a new hydraulic line for my right side lift cylinder, i have attached a picture of the smashed one I found a while back when i washed it, now I just need to replace it. I have looked at it and the only possible way to replace it is with the boom up, I can lock the boom up from inside the cab but i still need to decompress the pressure in the cylinders before i even attempt to remove the old line. I also noticed my battery light has been coming on the past few times i have started it and finally last week the battery had run dead. Had to jump my skid with the booster.:hide: I did get it started though, first crank and she fires right up. :thumbup1gif: Gotta love having a 2004 machine, I am still used to the 86' Yanmar.:lol: The battery in it is the original Deere one from the factory and I think it is defiantly time to pull it out, it sat for 8 months last year unused, the previous owner did not start it once in that time frame. My grandpa has a battery that he said I could try out, if it works he will give me a sweet deal on it, if not I will put it back in his shed and we both loose nothing. It is an RV battery, I don't know if it will hook up the same as the battery already in the Deere. I guess I will find out. Well, now you guys are pretty much up to date on what i have been up to. :thumbup1gif:

049.JPG 045.JPG 052.JPG

·
Administrator
20,301 Posts
Lookin' pretty good.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks for the update JD 3720

You have got that machine looking pretty good. :good2:

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the fix'in of the minor details that need attending to. Isn't it fun and satisfying to work on you your own machine? :yahoo:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have got that machine looking pretty good. :good2:

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the fix'in of the minor details that need attending to. Isn't it fun and satisfying to work on you your own machine? :yahoo:
Oh yeah, I love getting it up to par on things. I got a story for you guys though...

Last night I pushed a tree limb off the road with the 317. No big deal, but i got under another tree and a limb got between the boom and my brand new head light and bang! Busted a hole right through the lens. Fortunately the limb didn't hit the bulb and i had a spare light casing to swap out but for $30 for a light w/ housing, I need to be more careful. :hide:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I should have known it was coming, the battery finally gave way on my 317 last night. It took a while to figure out how it comes out and I am in a pickle, the boom must be raised to remove the battery. How am I supposed to raise the boom if I cant even start it? I have no other machine around capable of lifting the boom either. I tried jumping it with both the battery on the pickup and a booster and when you turn the key you get nothing. First time i went to start it i got a long beep when i tried to start it and now nothing. The gauges do turn over now when you're in the seat however the head lights will not come on. So what do I do now? I know i need a new battery, i had one that I though might work but it is too small so that's out of the question. How do I remove the old battery? The only way I could see it coming out is tipping it on its side which would get battery acid all over so I would prefer not to go that route. I believe I have an error code off of it, F9D5 which I browsed through the manual and found nothing. Any ideas guys?

·
Administrator
20,301 Posts
Sounds to me like a bad connection.
Have you tried cleaning the connections? Don't forget the ground lead where it attaches to the frame. It's overlooked all the time. The headlights should come on unless your battery is totally dead. Check it with a voltmeter if you can. Ideally you want to see 12.5 or more volts. If you don't have access to a voltmeter, disconnect your dead battery's ground lug to remove it from the circuit. (A totally dead or internally shorted battery is a huge load for a good battery to overcome if not impossible) Then jump the cables to a known good battery. That should get you started.:good2:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Okay guys, last night I went out and cleaned the battery cables, terminals, and the ground with a wire brush.
002.JPG
Hooked the battery back up along with the booster and got in the cab, still no response from the switch.

By now I was stumped, so i put everything away for the night. I kept thinking about where else i hadn't looked and then I realized why didn't I look in the fuse box? When i turned the key it usually made at least a click which was the solenoid engaging. However it wasn't doing that plus the lights would not come on. Of course it was already dark out when I thought about it so this morning I went out and took off the fuse box cover to see what the fuses looked like.
009.JPG
I pulled out the first fuse which goes to the ignition switch. Once I saw it i had to pull out the second one to compare.
015.JPG
As you can see, this is why my ignition switch was doing nothing. So I knew I had some extra fuses, I went in the garage and found out i had atleast 5 brand new fuses.
016.JPG
So I grabbed one of the new fuses, stuck it in, and put the key in the ignition. Without the booster, she fired right up. So i pulled it out of the barn, took the bucket off, and parked it out of the way with the boom up so I could pull out the battery. I keep having to jump it so I am still getting a new battery but i am so glad I got everything figured out. :thumbup1gif:
031.JPG
Just got back from town with a new battery. I called Deere before we left and they wanted $186 for a battery. Went to Les Schwab and they wanted $116. So I got the Les Schwab battery which even has better cold cranking AMPS than the Deere and a handle which will make installing it much easier.
032.JPG
But I still went down to Deere and got some parts for my L118 and a new headlight for the 317 as a spare since a tree limb destroyed one a couple weeks ago but i luckily had an extra to swap it with so I dont have and ugly skid steer. :laughing::thumbsup: I also grabbed an SMV bracket so I can mount my SMV sign to the back of the 317 for when I am operating on the neighborhood roads. :thumbsup:
037.JPG
On top of all of it I took a bunch of pictures and everything so far has ended up well. I still need to install the battery and swap out the hydraulic line that was crushed.

·
Administrator
20,301 Posts
I'm glad to be reading good news from you. :thumbup1gif: Now you might want to figure out why the fuse blew in the first place. :dunno:

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts