Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. As of 3 days ago I bought a 1987 318 P218G.

I just had to do it. I love vintage tools so why not a JD 318 in good shape. Unmolested, all there, just dirty and regularly used. The PO did put an electric fuel pump on it. I cannot claim to be any kind of mechanic but I do a lot of monkey see monkey do.

Just as the PO went to sell the mower developed surging. I think that is the word. As you are mowing the rpms go up and down. So far I have treated with copious amount of carb cleaner and put Seafoam in gas. After about 30 minutes of mowing the surging seems to only be at low rpms (idle). Its much better.

I've read numerous posts on surging and so far I think I will take a wait and see approach.

If I may I do have a few questions:

1) Where is a good source for the TM12577 I've read about?
2) Where is the fuel filter?
3)I've read of the need for fire wall insulation. My mower either does not have it or I don't know where to look. Where would it be?

Thanks much for this great resource.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan! Lots of great knowledgeable people with helpful information here! Congrats on the 318, you will love it. I have the similar 316 model.

Tech and parts manuals I picked up on eBay reasonably priced. Fuel filter is a simple in-line and can be seen right around the air filter (if it has one). I picked up some stick-on fire wall insulation for mine on eBay as well and I never have put it on so thanks for the reminder! Here's a pick showing where it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I found my fuel filter with the help of the previous owner. A few weeks ago he installed an electric fuel pump. He attached an automotive filter rated for 30,000 miles (shiny metal in picture) to the fuel pump . He does not know if it will ever need replacing. He installed the fuel pump behind the panel on the right side of the battery. He got the power from the hour meter. I've pulled the pump out for the picture. It is a Facet 60304. Made in USA.

Also, I do see now the remains of adhesive on the panel where the insulation was.

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,677 Posts
Is the fuel pump install and filter install part of the prior owners attempt to deal with the surging or is it totally unrelated? I suspect the two are related by the timing.......

Are you seeing any improvement from the Sea Foam, etc. use? .

Welcome to the GTT forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think unrelated.
PO has been a auto mechanic about 40 years. He said he did fuel pump for easier starts. He said he had not had any surging issues.

I pressure washed yesterday and left tractor running about 30 minutes. Zero surging. I guess carb cleaner and Seafoam did the trick for now. I hope.

Today i put things back together. Grease everything. Tomorrow pick up new belts and do some mowing. I should know better about surging then.

Thank you for the welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.