Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What made you go with turf tires?
Good experience with R3 turfs over the last ~40 years. Poor experience with R4's in wet, muddy soil, snow and ice as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,436 Posts
Frank, this tractor will have no better home than with you. Truly a lucky tractor and a blessed owner..........Congratulations.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Frank, this tractor will have no better home than with you. Truly a lucky tractor and a blessed owner..........Congratulations.
Thanks for your kind words SB!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Im jealous. Been waiting on trading in my 3520 cab for one of these but im waiting for them to do a full redesign of the cab which has been pretty much the same since 2007. Also, its a matter of time before they offer electric over hydraulic bucket controls in US. I absolutely love the tires you went with. OF the turf design. I use them as well. They are second to none in snow removal with no chains at all. Get insane traction in dry dirt. Way more than R4 tires. Don't tear up the lawn etc. I think you know all of this and that's why you bought. Anyhow, I'm jealous. Have fun with the beast

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im jealous. Been waiting on trading in my 3520 cab for one of these but im waiting for them to do a full redesign of the cab which has been pretty much the same since 2007. Also, its a matter of time before they offer electric over hydraulic bucket controls in US. I absolutely love the tires you went with. OF the turf design. I use them as well. They are second to none in snow removal with no chains at all. Get insane traction in dry dirt. Way more than R4 tires. Don't tear up the lawn etc. I think you know all of this and that's why you bought. Anyhow, I'm jealous. Have fun with the beast
Shortthorw50, I feel your pain. I've been waiting for an updated 4 series as well to trade in my 3039R. Since it has been 8 years on the current 4 series I would think it's coming soon but who knows. Meanwhile, we are missing out on a lot of enjoyment not having the current 4 series.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Shortthorw50, I feel your pain. I've been waiting for an updated 4 series as well to trade in my 3039R. Since it has been 8 years on the current 4 series I would think it's coming soon but who knows. Meanwhile, we are missing out on a lot of enjoyment not having the current 4 series.
Had a conversation with a JD Manager at the NFMS in Louisville back in February. Who knows what JD has planned or in the works??? Anything they do with the 4 Series will also likely include the 3 Series as the most recent refreshes for both were fairly minor.

Both received emissions equipment (DPF), hood and grill updates, some electronics upgrades as well as new model designations. The 4 Series got a new Yanmar engine and an upgraded rear axle.

Sometimes you just have to know when to pull the trigger. To each his own.

·
Old Pa-pa
14,482 Posts
Who knows what JD has planned or in the works??? Anything they do with the 4 Series will also likely include the 3 Series as the most recent refreshes for both were fairly minor.
And sometimes they should just leave well enough alone, hoping customers and mechanics
are having some input and not just bottom line bean counters.........In a cynical mood today. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first choice would have been the new R14's but unfortunately JD doesn't offer them on the 4 Series. That being said going back to my early 1980's 950 and later 1070 R3 turfs have always worked well for me.

I did have R4's on a couple of rigs including my previous 3320 TLB and around here they just didn't work out. Didn't like wet or muddy conditions. No traction on ice and snow. Especially with my long, steep driveway. Without chains the R4's were basically useless in the winter.

Additionally where I'll be crossing the lawn to get to the outskirts of my property the R3's will be more appropriate.

I did consider the Nokian snow tires that were offered as an option but settled on the R3's based on previous experience.

R3's way back when:
View attachment 831279

R3's recently:

View attachment 831509
I have the R3 on my 2019 4066R and wouldn't go back to any other tire after having them for three years now. Nothing better in the snow! Ride is great and they don't tear up turf which was my main reason for buying them originally.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Green

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have the R3 on my 2019 4066R and wouldn't go back to any other tire after having them for three years no. Nothing better in the snow! Ride is great and they don't tear up turf which was my many reason for buying them originally. View attachment 831632
Nice rig. Seeing yours I'm starting to get anxious to take delivery! (y) (y)

21 - 40 of 70 Posts