Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, its not possible. Well, its happening. My oil level keeps rising a bit above full. At this point I am a solid 3/8" above the full mark. It makes no sense.

I have done the paper towel test to look for other fluids or fuel, it comes back perfect, no wicking or color difference at all. The oil looks great.

All I can do at this point is change the oil and see. I might have an analysis done, but one would think a new engine would use it, not somehow increase the amount.

I have to take it over to the farm tonight and remove the skinny tires from the 1586 and put on the fat duals. (we bought a used 8300 and are selling the 1586) so I will keep checking it as we use it.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Is your 4720 "making" water which makes it look like it's making oil? If it had water, wouldn't it be at the bottom of things and hard to find? Hows the coolant level? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if you had water introduced into your crankcase, how do you detect that since it should sit at the bottom?

Maybee you have oil colored water (kinda like a "Grail shaped Beacon", if that reference makes any sense...)

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your 4720 "making" water which makes it look like it's making oil? If it had water, wouldn't it be at the bottom of things and hard to find? Hows the coolant level? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if you had water introduced into your crankcase, how do you detect that since it should sit at the bottom?

Maybee you have oil colored water (kinda like a "Grail shaped Beacon", if that reference makes any sense...)

Pete
If I had water, it would turn the oil milky. I have checked it right after use and its clean.

Could be a leaking injector
That was my first thought but I would see the oil and water separate on the towel when I check it. Diesel will wick faster than motor oil. especially with this much of a difference?

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
I think if the seal goes bad on the hydraulic pump, then hydraulic oil can be pushed into the crankcase-I will research it on JDParts when I get home.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh crap Kenny. That would make sense as to why the oil looks good. :thumbsdown:

Good catch, I never thought about that.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Well, they don't give a great breakdown of the pump parts-but here is the picture.

Let your dealer know ASAP and get it on record that something is up, make him pay for a test?

Attachments

Reactions: PJR832

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Any update Brian?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, the accident kind of made me forget about this. I used my evacuator to suck out the extra oil and have put 5 hours on the tractor without a change in oil level. I have not worked it hard as we have just been using the forks.

I need to get the chisel plow out and work it. I will be changing oil here in a month. I am thinking of sending it to Blackstone.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Good call on Blackstone, I used to use them a lot when I drove my truck often.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
What did you guys come up with on this one? I like the pump seal.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drained the oil down to proper level. Used it and it has sat since. I plan to change the oil and send some to blackstone, but I have not had a chance to do so yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Diesel in Oil

I know, its not possible. Well, its happening. My oil level keeps rising a bit above full. At this point I am a solid 3/8" above the full mark. It makes no sense.

I have done the paper towel test to look for other fluids or fuel, it comes back perfect, no wicking or color difference at all. The oil looks great.

All I can do at this point is change the oil and see. I might have an analysis done, but one would think a new engine would use it, not somehow increase the amount.

I have to take it over to the farm tonight and remove the skinny tires from the 1586 and put on the fat duals. (we bought a used 8300 and are selling the 1586) so I will keep checking it as we use it.:unknown:
"I bought my 4720 mid 2009 and within 12 months had the same problem, ie oil level increasing. Transfer pump changed under warranty. Problem continued. In November this year agent took tractor in and sent oil sample off for analysis which showed it was diesel in the oil. They again replaced the transfer pump and seal on the side. Some comment from mechanic about low sulphur not bedding seal properly but low sulphur diesel has been around for years. Tractor returned last week and has been used once since and there looks to be an increase in level of about 6ml. Our observation is that the harder the tractor works the higher the level. Tractor has low usage and has only done about 180 hours work in two years. I am continuing dialogue with the agent as I am not comfortable with the situation. Rob"

·
Registered
2 Posts
4720 Making oil

I purchased my 4720 new in mid 2009 and have had similar rising oil level issues. The transfer pump was replaced but the problem continued. In December this year the agent took the tractor away and sent an oil sample off for analysis. The analysis sowed diesel in the oil. Again they have replaced the transfer pump and the associated seals. The tractor has been used once since return last week. And the oil level appears to have risen 8 mm (~3/8

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My first thought was diesel fuel getting past a seal. But, with the number of other owners having similar problems it sounds as though there just might be a quality control issue. Something sounds to be out of spec. I was once a Case mechanic, but don't recall this problem being related to just one model or design.

I'm scratching my head on this one too. As Kenny suggested, hydraulic fluid has been known to get into the crank case.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hydraulic fluid leaking from the pump was the problem with my old 40U when I had to rebuild the pump. I noticed the engine oil level would get higher if I was really making the 3PH work. The first few times it happened I just drained some oil. The next time it happened I checked the hydraulic fluid level and it was low. Replacing the seals in the hydraulic pump fixed the problem.

On the 40U the hydraulic pump is driven off of the camshaft, so leaking hydraulic fluid runs right into the crankcase.

Andy B.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,709 Posts
Hey Brian the newer diesel oils will hold the diesel so the "paper towel test" won't show anything. If it does turn out to be diesel be careful it is not an injector as it can burn a hole right through the piston.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Brian the newer diesel oils will hold the diesel so the "paper towel test" won't show anything. If it does turn out to be diesel be careful it is not an injector as it can burn a hole right through the piston.
I should have updated this thread. :boredom: Sorry. This thread is over a year old and I removed the excess oil and it never "made another drop". This winter I was not satisfied so I had my neighbor do an oil analysis to see if there was diesel in the oil or anything else. The oil came back good for a new engine without contaminates. So I have used it a lot since with no oil gain. Life is great.

I heard of this problem on one here a 4720 with 8hrs on it. I forgot the solution.
That one had a bad hydro pump and the hydro oil got in the crank. They replaced the pump and all was good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a 2014 4720 with 71 hours on it. Oil was changed at 29 hours, and then again at 71 hours three years later. I ran oil analysis on it and it showed greater than 10% fuel in the oil. I'm going to be doing periodic oil analysis sampling, but does anyone have an answer to the issue with these 4024t engines dumping diesel into the oil?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts