Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new 5055e 26 hrs. The tractor starts and runs great but neutral light just flashes and it won't go into any gear. It has a powershifter on the column. Also the PTO button will not engage PTO. Can anyone shed light on what to look at.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Is it throwing a code?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I assume its under warranty. If so, call the dealer.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Have you looked around for broken wires? have you checked the troubleshooting section of the manual?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds very similar to my issue but it was a 3r. One of the rubber boots on the hydraulic intake side was cracked and sucking air, had to winch onto trailer for repairs. That's when the shop found the problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check the seat switch, under the seat. my 65E did this once, I shut tractor off, put everything in nuetral, pushed clutch in and restarted, and it went back to normal operation, Dont know if a safety got stuck but it did go back to normal op.

·
Registered
352 Posts
A flashing neutral light sometimes means that the power reverser tried to shift but failed. If this is the case, then put the power reverser in neutral and then try again. If this does not work, put the power reverser in neutral, turn the tractor off, start the tractor, then try the power reverser again. (make sure your range is selected to a range (not neutral) and that your gear selector is in gear (not neutral or park)).

If you try this and the power reverser still will not then it likely means that the flashing neutral is indicating that the transmission (not the engine) is throwing a code. The reasons for this are possibly numerous from the power reverser switch itself, to a relay or wiring, or even low hydraulic fluid pressure due to a plugged filter or low level.

Regarding your PTO, it sounds like some permissive is not being met, and it may be related to the above issue although I cannot immediately make the connection between the two. It is not uncommon for these tractors to do what you describe if the lever that selects between the 540 and 540E positions is stuck half way or was not fully engaged in either position...so check your PTO lever (not the button) to make sure its engaged fully in either position. It sometimes takes force to pull or push the lever into position and it could be that it was not quite in position and then jumped out when you hit a bump or something. This is just a guess.

Good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a new 5055e 26 hrs. The tractor starts and runs great but neutral light just flashes and it won't go into any gear. It has a powershifter on the column. Also the PTO button will not engage PTO. Can anyone shed light on what to look at.
When you say it wont go into gear, you cant shift the leaver manually into a gear or range or you manually put it into a gear and its not moving?

Id say check the fuse box right at your feet, there is a fuse for moving forward and reverse, if that blows you will not move.

As others have mentioned, check the safety switch on the seat.

Lastly, see attached pictures. Depending on the year of your tractor some will have the MFWD wires exposed. I think the last year was 14 that they left them exposed, in the 15 and newer tractors they enclosed those connectors and wires in a box. Those wires light up the 4wd light on the dash. On mine it broke off bushhogging, once that exposed wire touches the metal frame of the tractor it will blow out the fuse for forward and reverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact issue while bush hogging a field today. What was your fix? I have called John Deere but havent heard back from them yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts