Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 4x6 Gator gas, new to me 4/2021, beat up & in need of repair! :)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am a new owner of a 6x4 2000 gator (We call her Grace as we have been graced by her presence!) I bought her to help with stall cleaning. She is pretty beat up and will need a lot of body work but she runs! Currently we have a lot of smoke from the exhaust (I am thinking a Fuel filter or Air filter issue?) I am also new to small engine work! I am looking to make the bed an electric lift but wish to use a non Deere actuator as the cost of the kit is $600+! I believe the part I need is BM20701. Does anyone know what is a compatible actuator? TIA!! :)
Brenda

·
Super Moderator
6,041 Posts
Welcome to GTT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats! I too have one from that year range. I think mine was specifically a 1999 and in diesel. I found one through a government surplus auction, and luckily they had an actuator I was able to salvage. During my research, these gators are already pre-wired for the actuator. It's plug and play. Looking at mine, I have the following stamped on the actuator - D12-21B5-05JD and made by Warner Electric. Also during my search at that time, there is forum out there where someone was able to find an actuator that met the sam specs in size/fit. Sorry, but I'm not able to recall what it was.

What color smoke did you observe when starting? Beside the oil change, I would flush out the coolant and dump/replace fuel. For some reason, I believe there is an in-line fuel filter in addition to the screw on fuel filter canister. This was for my diesel, so I'm not sure about gasoline engine.

I love my 6x4, that thing runs like a beast. But after a couple of years using the tow behind brush mower and snow plowing, I was yearning for power steering. Recently got a tractor to deal with that.

Good luck on your rehab of the 6x4.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,294 Posts
Welcome to GTT

Reactions: Brenda G

·
Premium Member
18,028 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome from western pa

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi All, I am a new owner of a 6x4 2000 gator (We call her Grace as we have been graced by her presence!) I bought her to help with stall cleaning. She is pretty beat up and will need a lot of body work but she runs! Currently we have a lot of smoke from the exhaust (I am thinking a Fuel filter or Air filter issue?) I am also new to small engine work! I am looking to make the bed an electric lift but wish to use a non Deere actuator as the cost of the kit is $600+! I believe the part I need is BM20701. Does anyone know what is a compatible actuator? TIA!! :)
Brenda
Welcome from Montana. Fire away with any questions you have. There's a lot of experience looming here. Any pics? They're always helpful. We would need to know the distance from the center of the bottom pin to the center of the top pin as well as the force it's rated at and shaft diameter for starters.

Reactions: Brenda G and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Welcome from NE PA.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Welcome to GTT

I have the following stamped on the actuator - D12-21B5-05JD and made by Warner Electric.

Warner Electric is now Thomson linear. They have a plant not far from me where they make these. I suspect it could be cross referenced by the part number but doubt they would sell the exact part number direct. Perhaps they still make them under the Warner name but it has been quite a few years since they were bought out.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
234 Posts
Brenda
Pics or it didn’t happen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
Congrats! I too have one from that year range. I think mine was specifically a 1999 and in diesel. I found one through a government surplus auction, and luckily they had an actuator I was able to salvage. During my research, these gators are already pre-wired for the actuator. It's plug and play. Looking at mine, I have the following stamped on the actuator - D12-21B5-05JD and made by Warner Electric. Also during my search at that time, there is forum out there where someone was able to find an actuator that met the sam specs in size/fit. Sorry, but I'm not able to recall what it was.

What color smoke did you observe when starting? Beside the oil change, I would flush out the coolant and dump/replace fuel. For some reason, I believe there is an in-line fuel filter in addition to the screw on fuel filter canister. This was for my diesel, so I'm not sure about gasoline engine.

I love my 6x4, that thing runs like a beast. But after a couple of years using the tow behind brush mower and snow plowing, I was yearning for power steering. Recently got a tractor to deal with that.

Steering of the 6x4 has always been an issue, they want to "push" rather than steer. Worse in "4 wheel" drive. Worse in snow. JD should have made the front axle drive as part of "4" driven wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

thank you for the response! It is black/gray smoke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome from Montana. Fire away with any questions you have. There's a lot of experience looming here. Any pics? They're always helpful. We would need to know the distance from the center of the bottom pin to the center of the top pin as well as the force it's rated at and shaft diameter for starters.
thank you for the response! :) Where would I look for the force rating? my dump currently does not have a hydraulic lift, I want to add one, so I dont even know yet where it will install. TIA for all the help! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
14 5/8" retracted length, 5 1/8" stroke 1" Dia on fixed end. 1 1/8" Dia on rod end, 1/2" mounting pin holes, 2100 lbf dynamic, 4000 lbf static, 28 amps max.
The 5 1/8" stroke is what makes it special. 4" or 6" would be standard.
THANK YOU!! This will be very helpful in my search

·
Registered
22 Posts
thank you for the response! :) Where would I look for the force rating? my dump currently does not have a hydraulic lift, I want to add one, so I dont even know yet where it will install. TIA for all the help! :)
Sorry for the late response on this, but the 6x4 already has holes on the dump and the body to attach them. Simple pins hold them in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pics or it didn’t happen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
how do I upload pics! Gator Grace really needs some help!! :( anyone have a good repair person in OHIO (East of Cleveland) that is reasonably priced?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the late response on this, but the 6x4 already has holes on the dump and the body to attach them. Simple pins hold them in place.
So I dont have to buy the $600 lift kit? I talked with Thompson and they said they dont have the 5-1/8 . My choices are either 4 or 6". Will a 6" work?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts